Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:16:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

"Hi guys"

Started by Chedney Honks, October 03, 2021, 08:45:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

I say "Hi folks/Bye folks" and sometimes "Well lads?"

touchingcloth

My brother once worked at Hollister, and one of the roles he had to do was greet customers at the door with "hey, what's up? Welcome to the pier", and the baffled looks of 99% of people when greeted with that by a flip-flop wearing teenager in a darkened cave were amazing.

madhair60

Quote from: SpiderChrist on October 03, 2021, 10:08:56 AM
And you must never, never respond truthfully to "How are you?" if you are in any way "not OK" because people just don't want to know.

in my experience this isn't true. i'm not trying to be difficult or do a joke, in my experience people are generally empathetic on an individual level. i've had bad times recently and had multiple people at my work who i otherwise rarely interact with express a sincere concern for my well-being.

pigamus

Calling you "buddy" is worse

SpiderChrist

Quote from: madhair60 on October 03, 2021, 01:08:22 PM
in my experience this isn't true. i'm not trying to be difficult or do a joke, in my experience people are generally empathetic on an individual level. i've had bad times recently and had multiple people at my work who i otherwise rarely interact with express a sincere concern for my well-being.

Hence my Eureka moment comment above. I am clearly that person no-one wants to bump into because, when asked "how are you?" I don't tell lies. "Fucking hell, SpiderChrist, you're a right misery" - well, CUNT, you try dealing with I've been dealing with for a bit and then see how keen you are to just say "I'm good, thanks".

People who are relentlessly cheery are fucking scum and I hate them.

Buelligan

Quote from: pigamus on October 03, 2021, 01:32:00 PM

I don't mind being called buddy at all.  As long as it's done nicely.  That's the thing, call someone a fucking cunt but do it with love.

On the having bad times and saying it, I think that's good.  People who love you, even like you, do care and they do want to know exactly how it's hanging. 

I've been having a fucking awful time recently and then pfft! couple of days ago, things started improving - these are things outside my control - just like magic, like when you realise you're going to get out in Patience and all the cards start to fall so fine.  And last fucking night.  Last night.  There I was sleeping away when I felt this real light scritchy climbing on the side of the bed and who should've turned up, through the window I've left plaintively open all these nights, but my own little missing weasel-cat, home from the hill after all this time.  Fuck me, how can things improve now?  I tell this to all those still being ground under the boot of sorrow and pain, sometimes things turn an actual fucking corner.  Do not give up hope.

H-O-W-L

I've taken to saying "Howdy" because I'm a total waste.

mothman

Being addressed as "buddy" is increasingly grating. No, I am not your buddy. We are not in the United States, nor are we going scuba diving together. Get to know me and you will soon conclude that I am the least buddylike - buddyable? - individual you will ever meet.

Quote from: SpiderChrist on October 03, 2021, 10:08:56 AM
And you must never, never respond truthfully to "How are you?" if you are in any way "not OK" because people just don't want to know.

Chic Murray's favoured response to being asked "how are you?" was "no' bad, apart from the odd touch of diarrhoea".

Interestingly (or maybe not) I believe that 'hello' as a way of greeting a person is relatively recent, 'good day' and 'good morning' and 'how do you do?' being the more usual form of greeting back in the day in the old days.

'Hello' was more usually an expression of interest or surprise, as you might say, for instance if you espied a comely maiden, or found that a vole had taken up residence in one of your brogues.

ZoyzaSorris

Yep, never had someone use the word buddy at me without wishing Huntington's Chorea on them. Hateful stuff.

kalowski

If someone calls me buddy I usually reply with
Buddy buddy don't you know you make me go nutty
I'm so glad that you're not a fuddy duddy
Not too skinny and not too chubby
Soft like silly putty

chveik

can't wait to visit the UK and try all those different greetings!

Sebastian Cobb

'you lot' is good, as nobody can accuse you of an #everydaysexism but it comes with a good dose of thinly-veiled contempt.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on October 03, 2021, 10:00:24 AM
Those French have it covered with "Ca va?" to which the response is "Oui, ca va". Literally "It goes?" and "Yes, it goes". Requires no more interaction.

On the subject of the correct response to "How do you do" or "How are you" the proper British response should be ""Musn't grumble" and then don't.

Alright, Bill Bryson.

Chedney Honks

I just got a proustina rush of a thread I started with on the 'Buddification' of the society, probably the exact same theme as this one but about buddy. I really like using buddy when I disagree with someone, it's guaranteed to make them totally lose their's mind.

El Unicornio, mang

When I was first living in America I would say "alright?" to people to greet them, which was always followed by a puzzled look and something along the lines of "erm yeah I'm fine, why?". Although Americans do "how's it going?" often which is the same kind of thing.

I always do "Hey guys" these days. It cuts across all cultures and genders.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Try responding with "Hey guy". They might be doing a South Park thing.

Buelligan

pigamus

I've noticed "bud" is now a thing in the West Midlands as well. "Cheers bud." It makes my arsehole clench.

Sebastian Cobb

do older yams still go around calling each other 'blue'?

flotemysost

Those French have it covered with "Ca va?" to which the response is "Oui, ca va". Literally "It goes?" and "Yes, it goes". Requires no more interaction.

On the subject of the correct response to "How do you do" or "How are you" the proper British response should be ""Musn't grumble" and then don't.

A German mate recently observed how she's noticed English people often say "Not too bad" in response to "how are you", it amused her how resigned and bleak it sounds (I'm not sure what the standard equivalent greeting and response would be in German).

Ferris

British people saying bud/buddy is as grating as North Americans saying "cheers!"

Let's all just stay in our lanes shall we?

pigamus

Weirdly though, I do quite like it in kebab shops when they call me "boss".

Butchers Blind

I greet everyone with "Alright fella", mainly because I'm shit at remembering names. Use it for men, ladies and everyone else.

touchingcloth

The French thing is as open to negative responses as the English one in times when things are not fucking going.

Romance languages are different from English in that questions and statements use the same word order, so rather than "how's it going?":"it's going good" being the equivalent to "ca va"/"you, ca va", the closest direct English equivalent is probably "all good?"/"yeah, all good!"

tourism

my dad also used to moan about americanised greetings and cling to all sorts of 'awright fella' flat cap shite but he's a hey-guys-er now and I think it's down to becoming a grandparent/becoming at peace with generational change

Dex Sawash

Quote from: touchingcloth on October 03, 2021, 01:04:29 PM
My brother once worked at Hollister, and one of the roles he had to do was greet customers at the door with "hey, what's up? Welcome to the pier", and the baffled looks of 99% of people when greeted with that by a flip-flop wearing teenager in a darkened cave were amazing.

I was going to go in the Hollister in the mall here but I couldn't figure out how to get inside

touchingcloth

Quote from: Dex Sawash on October 03, 2021, 04:37:00 PM
I was going to go in the Hollister in the mall here but I couldn't figure out how to get inside

You need to moor up to the jetty first.

shiftwork2

Quote from: pigamus on October 03, 2021, 03:10:26 PM
Weirdly though, I do quite like it in kebab shops when they call me "boss".

Makes you feel like a big man does it

touchingcloth

They actually call you "Boz", because they think your name is Borry. Joo want garlic sauce chilli sauce all salad with that, Boz?"