Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:45:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Tory conference begins today

Started by Fambo Number Mive, October 03, 2021, 09:24:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Calf

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on October 07, 2021, 11:39:05 AM
Actually watched the vid and alongside the usual ghouls there were also a few delegates that actually said the uplift removal was wrong and that people need to be in decent paying jobs which did show some signs of at least some delegates being out of step with the let them eat cake crowd.

We are on the ascent to peak hubris of the tories; if you remember how it goes; they take over; they fuck things up whilst blaming everyone else, they feel invincible, they think fuck it it is now or never to cash in as we are all powerful, the arse falls out, they get kicked out because finally people all over the political landscape realise that anyone is better and focus on getting rid of them.

Bet you fifty quid the Tories are still in government on the first day of 2030.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Paul Calf on October 07, 2021, 11:49:41 AM
Bet you fifty quid the Tories are still in government on the first day of 2030.

I wouldn't bet against it.

"I hate the tories so much, but I couldn't vote for labour right now so it will have to be the greens" and "they are all as bad as each other I'm not voting for any of them" will prevail and that is why we all live in a country where the majority of people don't vote Tory but the Tories always win.  Rinse and repeat.

My point was that they will do something so fucking stupid based on hubris or they'll tank the economy so badly into the ground people will snap out of the circular thinking of the two points ahead from desperation and vote for anyone that can beat them.

Buelligan

And then Murdoch lets his own special "Labour" leader have the ball for a bit.  No wonder they were so utterly desperate to get rid of The Crombulator, imagine what a fix we'd be in now if he was still about!

JaDanketies

Quote from: George Oscar Bluth II on October 07, 2021, 09:41:22 AM
Seem to remember diktats from the top of the party back in the Cameron era that there be no champagne or anything at conference

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on October 07, 2021, 11:39:05 AMWe are on the ascent to peak hubris of the tories

Yes, Cameron was making gestures towards to the empathetic and caring, with his "Hug a Hoodie," and that picture of him with the huskies. He clearly felt like the Tory party had to be detoxified to get power. And he barely even beat Gordon Brown, who was hardly the most charismatic and was no good at showing us his personality.

Nowadays the idea of the Tory frontbench wanting to hug hoodies is laughable. They've certainly shed any of the 'right-on' credentials that Cameron espoused.

I do feel that, while Priti Patel or Gove might be Tory through-and-through, Johnson has a self-serving ideology, so I'm not sure they're the Toriest of the Tories. Cameron might have pretended to be loving and caring, but he started brutal austerity, he was a true Tory. Johnson doesn't strike me as actually having opinions.

Fambo Number Mive

It does feel a bit like he is cosplaying as PM. I think the only thing he cares about, aside from power, is what people think about Winston Churchill.

TrenterPercenter

They have created a strategy this time that tries to manage that detoxification process; Johnson is not a Thatcherite he is a blusterer trying to disguise and conceal lack of plan and the impacts of keeping his donors onside with culture wars and jam tomorrow (levelling up).  The next logical move for the Tories is "Thatcher was right" with an appeal that it was being "too left" that has not delivered the Conservative hinterland.

When I say they are approaching peak hubris I don't me once reached they implode; I mean they win the next election and the next one then implode.

Now people need to get that through their minds that you are going to have another 12 years of Tory rule and no amount Starmer memeing and going on about our dear felled Corbyn and how unfair it was is going to change that.  If only it was that simple.

TrenterPercenter

Sorry that was a bit bleak; I mean that is what the direction of travel is - it needs to be fought and resisted[nb]this mean feasibly and strategically[/nb] at every turn and the most vulnerable need to be protected and supported until we can get rid of this government.

This means local community organising, supporting your local food bank and concentrating political energy towards winning seats off Tories and not splitting any votes that stand the best chance of achieving that.

Paul Calf

Another day in a totally normal democracy

Rizla

Had another dream about Johnson last night - he'd dislocated his arm and I was trying to whack it back into place for him using one of those long wooden poles that hold up washing lines. It was nice.

katzenjammer

Faisal Islam opening an arrive and drive indoor karting centre with Dominic Raab.

Kankurette

Quote from: George Oscar Bluth II on October 07, 2021, 09:41:22 AM
Seem to remember diktats from the top of the party back in the Cameron era that there be no champagne or anything at conference. Sign of how far we've fallen that they clearly don't even give a fuck enough to pretend. And even then, the suffering they were causing was basically hidden from anyone not experiencing it. In our current moment people are queuing for fuel and they're all having a great time.

As for the conduct of Laura K: no. Want to get pissed after a hectic week? Fine by me, seek out one of Manchester's many excellent bars and do it there.
Of course they don't, because they know they can do whatever they want and people will vote for them.

George Oscar Bluth II

Think I agree with TrenterPercenter that we're surely at the peak of their hubris, they do genuinely believe they'll never be out of power but this winter is going to be fucking awful. Johnson can bang on about wages going up all he likes but if it gets swallowed, and more, by the gas price increase then it's completely moot isn't it. Maybe he can get away with it in normal times but telling people things are getting better as they get demonstrably poorer just isn't going to cut it.

Kankurette

Trenter, I so badly want you to be right. Something has to give, surely?

bgmnts

It didnt give under Thatcher did it?

lipsink

Won't they just basically get rid of Johnson and reboot the Party once again? This time with Sunak as PM and it's a "totally different Party this time" whilst continuing to fuck us over.

The fact that interviewers are starting to tell Boris to shut the fuck up might mean that the wheels have been set in motion for him to be on his way out.

George Oscar Bluth II

But also like Trenter I think best we can hope for by 2024 is probably a reduced majority cos of the divided left/centre, Labour's drift, the massed forces of the rightwing media and a shitty electoral system.

ALTHOUGH my wildcard is that that'll happen cos they'll ditch Johnson, lump all the agreed upon failures of the past two years onto his head. Gove, Sunak or someone will be in office for the 2024 election.

EDIT:
Quote from: lipsink on October 07, 2021, 04:06:34 PM
Won't they just basically get rid of Johnson and reboot the Party once again? This time with Sunak as PM and it's a "totally different Party this time" whilst continuing to fuck us over.

Refreshed and saw this lol

Famous Mortimer

Surely Gove is too genuinely repellent a person to be Prime Minister. But look where we are.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: lipsink on October 07, 2021, 04:06:34 PM

Yes.   Johnson doesn't even want to be there long-term none of the Tories do; it's a thing to do for a bit then bugger off and earn mega $$ somewhere else.

peanutbutter

Don't see how a Sunak reboot would do that well. Feel like that push to present him as next in line from a year or so ago was more about ensuring Johnson had quite a weak challenger. He's quite a boring odd little man, there isn't really a whole lot to cover up just how much of a cunt he is. He's got that Keir Starmer thing I think where at the moment he comes across as though he'd be good on an optics level but once he's pushed into that lead position it'll become really obvious how much of that was aggressively micromanaged.
Honestly think Patel would appeal to the general public more, maybe Gove too.

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on October 07, 2021, 04:24:36 PM
Yes.   Johnson doesn't even want to be there long-term none of the Tories do; it's a thing to do for a bit then bugger off and earn mega $$ somewhere else.
Johnson does, doesn't he? It's largely about appeasing his dad I've always assumed, doesn't really want anything to do with the role beyond the title, but he wants the title forever.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

They're deliberately making a bags of things while stealing everything that isn't nailed down, then they'll spend a comfy few years in Opposition mocking Labour's attempts to clean up the mess the Tories made, before being voted back in once enough time has passed that they can blame the whole entire mess on the Labour party and run on that as an election platform.

Just fucking watch.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: peanutbutter on October 07, 2021, 04:35:34 PM
Don't see how a Sunak reboot would do that well. Feel like that push to present him as next in line from a year or so ago was more about ensuring Johnson had quite a weak challenger. He's quite a boring odd little man, there isn't really a whole lot to cover up just how much of a cunt he is. He's got that Keir Starmer thing I think where at the moment he comes across as though he'd be good on an optics level but once he's pushed into that lead position it'll become really obvious how much of that was aggressively micromanaged.
Honestly think Patel would appeal to the general public more, maybe Gove too.
Johnson does, doesn't he? It's largely about appeasing his dad I've always assumed, doesn't really want anything to do with the role beyond the title, but he wants the title forever.

Sunak is John Major(s) to Johnson's Thatcher. It'll be enough to win at least one more term. So yeah, 2030 will still be Tory.

George Oscar Bluth II

Quote from: peanutbutter on October 07, 2021, 04:35:34 PMHonestly think Patel would appeal to the general public more, maybe Gove too.

I dunno why people think this, Patel is v unpopular with the public and is even now unpopular with rightwingers ("cos she's not stopping the dinghies full of ILLEGALS")

Buelligan

Weren't you a drum-banger for Keith though?  Whatever way you dress that up, I'd say your political nous needs work.

Twit 2

See also:

Quote from: George Oscar Bluth II on October 07, 2021, 04:03:19 PMtelling people things are getting better as they get demonstrably poorer just isn't going to cut it.

It's worked a treat so far. It'll always be someone else's fault (Crobbkynns, forruns, Labour, the electorate themselves, whatever). I really doubt there'll be any kind of awakening.

pigamus

It's interesting how impotent the Tory press are at the minute. Even when they all line up to slag the government off, it makes no difference. They can't control the monster they created.

imitationleather

The next PM is gonna be Liz Truss.

jobotic