Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,305
  • Total Topics: 106,766
  • Online Today: 1,077
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 03:03:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Tory conference begins today

Started by Fambo Number Mive, October 03, 2021, 09:24:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Calf

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on October 07, 2021, 04:53:47 PM
They're deliberately making a bags of things while stealing everything that isn't nailed down, then they'll spend a comfy few years in Opposition mocking Labour's attempts to clean up the mess the Tories made, before being voted back in once enough time has passed that they can blame the whole entire mess on the Labour party and run on that as an election platform.

Just fucking watch.

This government will outlast the Labour Party, in England at least. They have the electoral mechanims sewn up tight. They're not going anywhere.

Paul Calf

If you want an optimistic version of what the future of this country looks like, look at Singapore

https://thediplomat.com/2020/02/the-singapore-model-advocacy-in-an-authoritarian-state/

QuoteSingapore has a class of activists who have found ways to advocate within boundaries and avoid punishments.

So that's...er...good?

EOLAN

Am I callous for looking straight to the by-election after Brokenshire's passing (yes I am).
Ted Heaths old Constituency. Didn't realise he remained in Parliament so long after his leadership. Never under threat. Tories could look to choose any potential candidates they want in a safe-seat.

jobotic

That's what I did.

They may as well stand Brokenshire again

monkfromhavana

At the moment, I'm thinking it will probably be never-ending Tory rule. They've got their mates either owning the media, or ensuring that it's muzzled, not that it matters because the majority of voters in the country could have their house set on fire with their kids inside and they'd say that it wasn't and it was the fault of "The Muslims"

TrenterPercenter

There are generational problems for the Tories going forward, however whilst everyone is tutting at the Boomers and loving the youngsters a lot of over-valued property is going to change hands in the next 20 years which I imagine is going to make some millennials suddenly think Toryism isn't all bad.

I think the idea of unending Tory rule because it all decided already with fascism round the corners blah-blah-blah is silly; the Tories will be in power until the left gets it's shit together and builds a voting coalition across parties; that will me strident lefties learning to compromise and not make every issue a moral guillotine and centre left people recognising you need some radicalism to guide and capture peoples attention.  Both will need to learn to shut the fuck when needed, understand you can support something on pragmatic terms but disagree with on personal terms, and stop thinking that elections are about voting for you want but about voting to stop who you don't want getting the power.  There is also an issue of understanding how mass digital comms can be used to the lefts advantage and not just the rights constant control of the outrage economy and culture war cycle.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on October 07, 2021, 04:53:47 PM
They're deliberately making a bags of things while stealing everything that isn't nailed down, then they'll spend a comfy few years in Opposition mocking Labour's attempts to clean up the mess the Tories made, before being voted back in once enough time has passed that they can blame the whole entire mess on the Labour party and run on that as an election platform.

Just fucking watch.

The long 80s.

pigamus

Quote from: EOLAN on October 08, 2021, 12:30:28 PM
Am I callous for looking straight to the by-election after Brokenshire's passing (yes I am).
Ted Heaths old Constituency. Didn't realise he remained in Parliament so long after his leadership. Never under threat. Tories could look to choose any potential candidates they want in a safe-seat.

Chesham and Amersham was supposed to be safe as well

jobotic

QuoteGeneral election 2019: Old Bexley and Sidcup[9]
Party   Candidate   Votes   %   ±%
Conservative   James Brokenshire   29,786   64.5   +3.1
Labour   Dave Tingle   10,834   23.5   -5.8
Liberal Democrats   Simone Reynolds   3,822   8.3   +5.0
Green   Matt Browne   1,477   3.2   +1.5
CPA   Carol Valinejad   226   0.5   +0.3
Majority   18,952   41.1   +8.8
Turnout   46,145   69.8   -3.0

To the Lib Dems? That would be quite the swing!

Labour will obviously stick another Hartlepool bloke in

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on October 08, 2021, 12:57:57 PM
There are generational problems for the Tories going forward, however whilst everyone is tutting at the Boomers and loving the youngsters a lot of over-valued property is going to change hands in the next 20 years which I imagine is going to make some millennials suddenly think Toryism isn't all bad.

I think the idea of unending Tory rule because it all decided already with fascism round the corners blah-blah-blah is silly; the Tories will be in power until the left gets it's shit together and builds a voting coalition across parties; that will me strident lefties learning to compromise and not make every issue a moral guillotine and centre left people recognising you need some radicalism to guide and capture peoples attention.  Both will need to learn to shut the fuck when needed, understand you can support something on pragmatic terms but disagree with on personal terms, and stop thinking that elections are about voting for you want but about voting to stop who you don't want getting the power.  There is also an issue of understanding how mass digital comms can be used to the lefts advantage and not just the rights constant control of the outrage economy and culture war cycle.

This all sounds like a great 👍 idea.  They should call it new Labour, or something ;)

chveik

George Oscar Bluth II

Quote from: Buelligan on October 08, 2021, 09:56:26 AM
Weren't you a drum-banger for Keith though?  Whatever way you dress that up, I'd say your political nous needs work.

I don't believe I was! No longer a party member and didn't vote in the 2020 leadership either so you can't blame me I'm afraid.

Someone's gonna dig up a positive post I made about him probably (genuinely can't remember if I did any! Or how I felt about him during the contest) but any positivity would have been based on his actual pitch (Corbyn-era domestic policy with a nice suit, good haircut and a guy who doesn't demonstrably loathe Britain) rather than what he's actually done (uhhhhh)

jamiefairlie

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on October 08, 2021, 12:57:57 PM

Do you really think this will happen?

When did it last happen? 1945?

Catalogue of ills

idunnosomename

genuinely delighted that May lackey Brokenshire is dead. more dead tories please. kinder gentler up yours. guy was a total cunt

Jollity

beanheadmcginty

Buelligan

Quote from: George Oscar Bluth II on October 08, 2021, 04:40:08 PM
I don't believe I was! No longer a party member and didn't vote in the 2020 leadership either so you can't blame me I'm afraid.

Someone's gonna dig up a positive post I made about him probably (genuinely can't remember if I did any! Or how I felt about him during the contest) but any positivity would have been based on his actual pitch (Corbyn-era domestic policy with a nice suit, good haircut and a guy who doesn't demonstrably loathe Britain) rather than what he's actually done (uhhhhh)

I'm not blaming you, just remembering what you've said in the past and remarking on how that ties in with being on the ball politically. 

kalowski

SpiderChrist

Quote from: idunnosomename on October 08, 2021, 11:12:31 PM
genuinely delighted that May lackey Brokenshire is dead. more dead tories please. kinder gentler up yours. guy was a total cunt

Ditto. My grandfather was fond of saying "The only good Tory is a dead Tory . Or a lavatory."

Harry Badger

Just found out that one of my best mates was playing lead guitar in that karaoke band where Coffey et al were making cunts of themselves.

idunnosomename

He will be cremated in four separate ovens

jamiefairlie

Quote from: idunnosomename on October 08, 2021, 11:12:31 PM

They just spin up another one from the warehouse though

Kankurette

Quote from: SpiderChrist on October 09, 2021, 09:21:11 AM
Ditto. My grandfather was fond of saying "The only good Tory is a dead Tory . Or a lavatory."
Or Tori Amos.

George Oscar Bluth II

Quote from: Buelligan on October 09, 2021, 07:18:08 AM
I'm not blaming you, just remembering what you've said in the past and remarking on how that ties in with being on the ball politically.

I mean I was right about Jeremy Corbyn's appeal to the nation wasn't I and you were wrong.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Buelligan

Quote from: George Oscar Bluth II on October 10, 2021, 06:51:48 AM
I mean I was right about Jeremy Corbyn's appeal to the nation wasn't I and you were wrong.

QED, a self-fulfilling prophecy that's brought us here.  Happy now?  Happy?  Proud?