Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 07:29:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

What's your own accent like?

Started by Lisa Jesusandmarychain, October 03, 2021, 02:26:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoblinAhFuckScary

my grandma was swiss-german and her accent was pretty wild

Johnny Foreigner

Quote from: Durance Vile on October 08, 2021, 11:10:59 PM
Yeah, there's certainly a difference in standard German. Have you got an example where they'd be the same in North German? And do you mean by that a North German accent or actual Plattdeutsch?

Well, in Hamburg, Gespräch would be Gespreech, spät would be speet, Läden would be Leden-not that such words exist, so there is hardly ever any risk of misunderstanding people.
Plattdeutsch I can understand to some extent, because it seems like a mixture of German, Dutch and, to a lesser extent, Danish, but I regard that as a minority language, like Frisian. I daresay it's German, but not as we know it.

Wo de Ostseewellen trecken an den Strand

Durance Vile

Yeah, this crowd I met were perfectly happy to tone it down so that I could understand them, but also delighted and proud that they were impenetrable to outsiders. Fair fucks to them, I'd be the same.

Swiss is the only German dialect that is regularly rendered with subtitles on TV.

Johnny Foreigner

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on October 08, 2021, 11:21:17 PM
my grandma was swiss-german and her accent was pretty wild
I don't understand Swiss German at all; it's entirely different from Hochdeutsch. The Swiss are completely diglossic; they speak Schwyzerdüütsch with people they know and use Standard German for anything 'official'.
Intriguingly, the French-speaking Swiss have nothing comparable. Barring some minor vocabulary features, French as spoken in France and French as spoken in Switzerland are almost exactly the same.

Johnny Foreigner

Durance Vile

Quote from: Johnny Foreigner on October 08, 2021, 11:27:10 PM
Well, in Hamburg, Gespräch would be Gespreech, spät would be speet, Läden would be Leden-not that such words exist, so there is hardly ever any risk of misunderstanding people.
Plattdeutsch I can understand to some extent, because it seems like a mixture of German, Dutch and, to a lesser extent, Danish, but I regard that as a minority language, like Frisian. I daresay it's German, but not as we know it.

Wo de Osteewellen trecken an den Strand

Gotcha, that makes sense.

With Plattdeutch you canunderstand or at least the gist of it if you've got those things in mind, and if you've got an open mind. If you can understand German and know how the shifts work, it's not all that much harder than English people watching Limmy.

Durance Vile

Quote from: Johnny Foreigner on October 08, 2021, 11:33:21 PM
I don't understand Swiss German at all; it's entirely different from Hochdeutsch. The Swiss are completely diglossic; they speak Schwyzerdüütsch with people they know and use Standard German for anything 'official'.
Intriguingly, the French-speaking Swiss have nothing comparable. Barring some minor vocabulary features, French as spoken in France and French as spoken in Switzerland are almost exactly the same.

Yeah, the first time I heard it I thought it was some kind of Dutch. Completely incomprehensible. It's something to do with it having stewed up remote individual valleys. No idea how the French managed to get it so uniform, probably by rigorous suppresion.

petril

Quote from: Durance Vile on October 08, 2021, 11:30:55 PM
Swiss is the only German dialect that is regularly rendered with subtitles on TV.

your accent being one of the ones that gets subtitled is pretty deso

Twit 2

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: itsfredtitmus on October 08, 2021, 08:59:49 PM
scouse with a bit of st helens and prescot. only 1 person will know what i mean. i say west DARBY instead of DERBY (or is it other way round? fuck knows)

I'm made up for yer! ( Although this expression has become more widespread, I've noticed)