Author Topic: Long hangover  (Read 2769 times)

kalowski

• Maclunkey
Long hangover
« on: October 04, 2021, 06:34:15 AM »
I very rarely have a big session nowadays, and today reminds me why. I went out on Friday to celebrate my 50th with my mates and it's Monday and I am still suffering. I'll suffer until Wednesday, most likely.
I'm not asking for sympathy in any way, this is all my fault, but I am pissed off at myself for getting carried away.
Any advice for days and days of tired, shaking hangover?

Buelligan

• STOP being afraid
Re: Long hangover
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2021, 07:19:13 AM »
Try pulling yourself together?  Dunno, but more seriously, maybe your body is suggesting that you change something.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

• Silver Member
  • They call me mista bald bastard
    • http://jackanderton.jamendo.net/
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2021, 07:23:57 AM »
The change to make is drink water for every drink, then paracetamol before bed and a rehydration sachet. Repeat at 6am in the morning if still wazzled.

8/10 pissheads swear by this neat trick livers don't want you to know.

Personally I don't do this as I think it's appropriate to go through pain and suffering when you've abused your body as a sort of reminder and penance.

If you don't do that sort of thing very often that will be precisely why you are suffering so much. People say 'argh my hangovers are getting worse', no, you just drink less on average these days so feel it more after a sesh.

Also sesh-specific factors like type of drink, food eaten, temperature in room make a big difference.

thenoise

• Golden Member
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2021, 07:45:59 AM »
I'm 38 years old and I get a few hours' hangover after anything more than two pints. Fuck knows how my dad still gets black out drunk in his 60s. I can only assume that he isn't a big girl's blouse feels like shit 99% of the time. Well that certainly explains a few things.

I remember sports society cunts at uni would ensure they did a few 'tacticals' both during, afterwards and the next morning - regularly excusing themselves to the toilet, jamming their fingers down their throat and unceremoniously purging themselves of large volumes of their alcohol intake, along with most of their dinner i presume. If the idea is repulsive to you, then maybe don't drink like a rugby player?

The Mollusk

• I’m gonna have another Boost, John!
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2021, 07:47:37 AM »
Also sesh-specific factors like type of drink, food eaten, temperature in room make a big difference.

Another strong factor is the heightened emotional state of the occasion. Four pints in my living room with my fiancée watching favourite music videos on YouTube fucks me up far less than four pints in a loud pub with old friends I’ve not seen in months.

I’ve lamented about my horrific hangovers and occasionally unpleasant drunken antics on here before but the more I settle down into a quiet domestic lifestyle the more I realise drinking excessively is just not for me any more. Throughout the pandemic my alcohol consumption went way down and the handful of times since that I’ve got monumentally plastered with my mates has, combined with the regular catastrophic hell chasm hangovers I’m well acquainted with now, more than ever lead me to concluding that I just cannot be arsed with it any more.

I had six beers on Friday night and on Saturday my anxiety was so intense it made me feel like I was going to throw up. What’s the fucking point? And to make matters worse we went out for a pub roast yesterday, I stupidly had four beers and when we got home I had a total meltdown of self-loathing and sobbing into my fiancée’s arms. Awful experience. I’m 34 for fucks sake.

I wish I could just stick to being stoned at boozy events since my anxiety is way less, there’s no hangover and I love the daft chatty buzz, but I just can’t help myself. Really at least need to start drinking slower and having a glass of water between beers.

Anyway see you guys at the meet this Saturday! 🥴🥴🥴🍻🍻🍻

Zetetic

• I wasn't supposed to be around this long, so…
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2021, 07:56:01 AM »
The change to make is drink water for every drink, then paracetamol before bed
Might be an idea to pick any other anti-inflammatory than paracetamol.

icehaven

• WORLD'S BIGGEST RIP OFF: $100 PER PERSON
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2021, 07:57:40 AM »
I used to get the most spectacular hangovers, nausea, the fear, dizziness, thumping head, the works, if I either mixed my drinks too much or spirits were involved somewhere (particularly cheap vodka). Since pretty much only drinking cider or white wine and usually only one or the other I never have them anymore and rarely feel bad at all after drinking. Mind you I also eat a proper meal beforehand and don't carry on into the early hours like I used to so that probably helps too.

pancreas

• The islets of Langerhans are the very best islets
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2021, 07:59:37 AM »
amphetamines IMMEDIATELY

Ham Bap

• I’m a ham bap.
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2021, 08:01:36 AM »
Had a bit to drink yesterday, I’m 41, so naturally my head is very sore, my stomach is upside down and I’ve just booked the day off work to sleep on and off all day.
Can’t cope with hangovers anymore. Some of them feel so bad I be relieved at the end of them that I’m still alive.

I’d love to hit the booze on the head but I think the sheer boredom and annoyances that come with office work lead me to drinking every couple of weeks to block it out.
Getting a bit sick of the life draining hangovers though.

I’m dreading the next time my friends organize a pub session. Some of them drink every day, impossible to keep up with them, I sometimes start developing headaches/hangover when I’m still in the pub.

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2021, 08:02:08 AM »
Give up smoking they said. Your hangovers will be nowhere near as bad they said.

So I did, 18 months ago and I've have had some of the worst of my life since.

icehaven

• WORLD'S BIGGEST RIP OFF: $100 PER PERSON
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2021, 08:14:46 AM »
Give up smoking they said. Your hangovers will be nowhere near as bad they said.

I've never heard that, didn't know it was a thing. I've never really smoked regularly but up until a few years ago I'd sometimes have a few cigs if I was drinking and I was offered one, and even more years ago in my 20s I'd occasionally buy a pack if I was going out out, but I can't say I ever noticed any correlation with hangover severity. These days if anything you'd think hangovers are more likely to be worse for non-smokers as they probably end up drinking more due to not going out for a fag every 5 minutes.

pigamus

• Sex, death, mayonnaise.
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2021, 08:22:44 AM »
Might be an idea to pick any other anti-inflammatory than paracetamol.

Might be an idea to tell us why.

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2021, 08:31:48 AM »
It's all your fault and you shouldn't have got carried away

Zetetic

• I wasn't supposed to be around this long, so…
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2021, 08:43:52 AM »
Might be an idea to tell us why.
Paracetamol and alcohol interaction is complicated and probably weirdly time-sensitive, but as a rule it's a bad idea to simultaneously load up on two liver-killing substances, particularly when one can make you morose, forgetful and stupid, and the other has a terrifyingly sharp dosage boundary between 'fine' and 'going to die in a matter of days or weeks'.

Particularly when you've got lovely ibuprofen available instead.[1]

1. I don't want to hear about asthmatics. We're all asthmatics, get over it.

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2021, 08:48:38 AM »
If you drink a pint every two hours round the clock, for three days, you're more likely to crash and die through tiredness than being over the limit.

shiftwork2

• pies this is your time
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2021, 08:51:19 AM »
A couple of years ago I found myself drinking with pharmacists.  I got the proper intel from the folk who famously try out all the drugs themselves.  Nothing beyond common sense really but the salient points (I wrote this down like a good boy) were:

* Match drink with water equivalent
* Cup of tea with 2 paracetamol+ 2 ibuprofen
* Bed
* Cup of tea with stodgy breakfast
* If flagging, 2 ibuprofen + 2 paracetamol

and it worked on that occasion.  As with all good advice I have failed to implement this in my general life.

Chollis

• Master of Codes
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2021, 09:45:05 AM »
The change to make is drink water for every drink

everyone recommends this don't they. but NOBODY DOES IT

The Mollusk

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2021, 09:45:20 AM »
I've never heard that, didn't know it was a thing. I've never really smoked regularly but up until a few years ago I'd sometimes have a few cigs if I was drinking and I was offered one, and even more years ago in my 20s I'd occasionally buy a pack if I was going out out, but I can't say I ever noticed any correlation with hangover severity.

They definitely affect me. Since I quit the snouts I noticed the hammering headaches and swirling maelstrom toilet brain I got with my hangovers lessened significantly. Cigs also heighten the drunkenness as well, the aforementioned spike in emotional buzz that comes with big social drinking maxes out a lot quicker when there’s a nicotine rush propelling it. I don’t ever smoke when I’m sober but always used to crave it when drunk and the feeling of addiction and even chain smoking late into the evening is, in retrospect, quite shocking to me. I’m so glad I knocked tabs on the head, it’s been over a year and I can’t even picture myself holding one now.

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2021, 09:52:00 AM »
For the last few years of my smoking career I only smoked if drinking. So day to day being off them is no problem but I still really really want one when at the pub, and when I imagine having a nice drink its with a nice fag.

My body can't still be craving nicotine, surely.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

• Silver Member
  • They call me mista bald bastard
    • http://jackanderton.jamendo.net/
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2021, 10:07:03 AM »

I can think of a few people I know who do. Downside is endless pissing and if you go ott slamming water it's not great for you. But some water, some.

Rehydration sachets though, get on them unless you want to be punished, like I do, for bodily crimes.

Norton Canes

• Pick up the pace with your cracked-out face
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2021, 10:15:22 AM »
The change to make is drink water for every drink

If I doubled my fluid liquid intake on a night out I'd spend most of it in the toilet. I think it's okay, and more convenient, to down a couple of pints of water when you get back home.

Had a whole four points (of beer) on Saturday night, first time I've drunk that much in ages (yeah party animal me), and managed to spend Sunday staring into the hangover abyss without actually tumbling in.

« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2021, 11:15:27 AM »
just enjoy it FFS

Sebastian Cobb

• bad opinion haver
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2021, 11:41:18 AM »
Needs to be a several day bender for me to get this.

I've noticed that staying in bed all Sunday with the fear and no food can leave me feeling worse than if I get up, eat quite a bit and have a few beers to take the edge off.

The Mollusk

« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2021, 11:44:56 AM »
It is impossible to tan a load of water before bed without waking up at 4am with an absolutely raging bladder surely? I’m not about that.

QDRPHNC

• Golden Member
  • "A soupçon of pizzazz."
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2021, 11:48:05 AM »
I used to be an absolute tank then 40 happened and now I can't have a few whiskeys in the evening without feeling like my brain is trying to escape its head the next morning and then ordering McDonald's.

« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2021, 11:50:40 AM »
The only cure for a hangover is sleep. Works a treat.

So if, like me, you're not in a position to spend a day in bed getting twanged is pretty stupid. But I still do it.

« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2021, 11:52:48 AM »
amphetamines IMMEDIATELY

crazy good hangover cure tbh, not only does it get you up and moving but it cures that horrible stomach feeling

Another awful-for-your-health recommendation: if I'm still feeling it the next evening, one or two pints usually helps.

H-O-W-L

• "CHRIST!!! CAT BRUSH!!!"
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2021, 12:22:32 PM »

I do. I keep a liter bottle of water on my desk at all times and I usually go through 3 liters on my drinking nights. Helps me have very mild hangovers, combined with my other cures:

- Rehydration sachet or small glass of very slightly salty water
- Food with some but not a lot of salt
- Coffee or an energy drink
- Watery and sugary fruit, like watermelon or ripe pears.

The only real hangover cure is to get through it but these have never failed to make me feel better.

Norton Canes

• Pick up the pace with your cracked-out face
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2021, 12:23:45 PM »
Play Cocteau Twins' 'Victorialand' on repeat.

gilbertharding

• Lipsmackin' thirstquenchin' acetastin' motivatin'
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2021, 01:32:16 PM »
A couple of years ago I found myself drinking with pharmacists.  I got the proper intel from the folk who famously try out all the drugs themselves.  Nothing beyond common sense really but the salient points (I wrote this down like a good boy) were:

* Match drink with water equivalent
* Cup of tea with 2 paracetamol+ 2 ibuprofen
* Bed
* Cup of tea with stodgy breakfast
* If flagging, 2 ibuprofen + 2 paracetamol

and it worked on that occasion.  As with all good advice I have failed to implement this in my general life.

And a really, really good bowel movement.

In fact, a proper clear out, just before or after the tea and breakfast is often enough for me on its own, without all the pills and water.

Tags: