Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 12:02:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Long hangover

Started by kalowski, October 04, 2021, 06:34:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

It is pretty mad how you can sort of shit a hangover away.

And to think certain people on this forum think there's nothing to be gained from demystifying the anus.

H-O-W-L

Well it's mostly just because you're both depleted of water and salts and full of toxins, innit? So a nice big euphoric dumping of waste releases that feeling of being toxic. I've had a similar experience with caffeine toxicity. A nice big relaxing poo (not the member) gets it all out yer.

The Mollusk

Yeah it is mad how effective a great big poo is at blasting away a fair chunk of anxiety, hangover-based or not. Head in hands, elbows on knees, grunting it out. A wonderful purge.

H-O-W-L

Vagus nerve stimulation innit.

gilbertharding

Talk about letting daylight in on magic...

Pranet

Drinking gives me the mad shits the next day. It is a bit annoying, I can't be too far from a toilet just in case.

This is just one of the reasons I should stop drinking.

kalowski

Well, basically, for me, the one truly useful bit of advice here is don't do it.
I promise I won't do it again.

MojoJojo

Quote from: Zetetic on October 04, 2021, 08:43:52 AM
Paracetamol and alcohol interaction is complicated and probably weirdly time-sensitive, but as a rule it's a bad idea to simultaneously load up on two liver-killing substances, particularly when one can make you morose, forgetful and stupid, and the other has a terrifyingly sharp dosage boundary between 'fine' and 'going to die in a matter of days or weeks'.

Particularly when you've got lovely ibuprofen available instead.[nb]I don't want to hear about asthmatics. We're all asthmatics, get over it.[/nb]

You should probably have some food if you're going to have ibuprofen. Even if it's just a couple of crackers or a bowl of cerial. That's probably a good idea anyway.

I've found going for a run is brilliant for clearing the grogginess of a hangover. Had beers Friday night, then joined Mikkeller running club for a 5km run which set me up nicely for an afternoon of drinking.

You probably need to be used to running already.

Rizla

Quote from: gilbertharding on October 04, 2021, 01:45:06 PM
Talk about letting daylight in on magic...
Yeah, I'm going to go on believing that the hangover is trapped inside the bowel movement as it exits the anus, like the baddies at the end of Superman II

Chollis

a big fat Xanax is also nice for taking the edge off a nasty hangover

JaDanketies

yeah surely ibuprofen is bad for your stomach lining? And alcohol probably is also bad for it. I certainly would be cautious with either paracetamol or ibuprofen.

But what really is great for avoiding a hangover is eating until you are full before you go to bed. A night on the booze is already really calorific though, and this habit is a good way to get fat. I don't think I've ever had a bad hangover when I've done this. But it's all about the nausea for me, the headaches are just dehydration surely and water is an easy fix

Zetetic

Quote from: JaDanketies on October 04, 2021, 02:42:26 PM
yeah surely ibuprofen is bad for your stomach lining?
You're not going to kill yourself by accident in evening with it.

Zetetic

I suspect with ibuprofen fatal acute overdose is generally going to be 100+ (possibly several hundred) tablets in one go, while paracetamol might be a matter of tens of tablets - possibly over a few days - if you're unlucky, followed by a fairly uncomfortable kind of dying.

Sebastian Cobb

I don't use paracetamol as I don't tend to find it helps me much and find ibuprofen better, however I did once have some prick barge through me and a mate when we were shitfaced, which caused me to slip off a curb and break my ankle. Despite being obviously quite drunk I got given paracetamol in A&E, I'm pretty sure it was over the home-recommended dose as well.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: Zetetic on October 04, 2021, 02:53:36 PM
I suspect with ibuprofen fatal acute overdose is generally going to be 100+ (possibly several hundred) tablets in one go, while paracetamol might be a matter of tens of tablets - possibly over a few days - if you're unlucky, followed by a fairly uncomfortable kind of dying.

I remember reading that you can't really kill yourself with these kinds of meds because you'll sick them up before you die from them.

Zetetic

A few hundred people die ever year in the UK from paracetamol overdose. (And several thousand others, at a minimum, are saved from doing so by recognising overdose, in the hours after overdose where this is possible.)

Edit: As much anything, it's also that it's a particularly unenjoyable death for you and those around you, and that factors into my personal risk appraisal around anything that might lead to me fucking up regarding it.

Edit2: Probably worth strongly emphasising - if you do ever find yourself having possibly overdosed on paracetamol, go to A&E. They can fix it completely very easily. You do not want to go through the alternative.

Zetetic

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on October 04, 2021, 02:56:38 PM
Despite being obviously quite drunk I got given paracetamol in A&E, I'm pretty sure it was over the home-recommended dose as well.
My understanding is that it's generally extremely safe in higher doses, pretty much right up until it kills you.

Edit: In contrast to many things, as QDRPHNC alludes to, which will tend to make you fairly unwell on the way towards a fatal acute overdose.

My friend used to eat fistfuls of paracetamol the next day to cure his hangover.
Fucking idiot, no matter how many times I told him, it's what his dad did and his dad was fine so it was alright.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: Zetetic on October 04, 2021, 03:01:22 PM
Edit: As much anything, it's also that it's a particularly unenjoyable death for you and those around you, and that factors into my personal risk appraisal around anything that might lead to me fucking up regarding it.

Morbidly curious now, why is it such a particularly awful death?

The Mollusk

Quote from: MojoJojo on October 04, 2021, 02:04:38 PM
You probably need to be used to running already.

I'm used to running away from my problems, is that the same thing?

No wait that's drinking isn't it

Zetetic

Quote from: QDRPHNC on October 04, 2021, 03:24:23 PM
Morbidly curious now, why is it such a particularly awful death?
Spoiler alert
Because you get to spend a few days or maybe a bit more reflecting on how you fucked up extremely avoidably, both in the overdosing and failure to get it fixed, maybe with the slim chance of saviour-by-transplant slowly disappearing, while the physiological aftermath of liver failure spreads through the rest of your body.
[close]

There's nothing terribly exciting about it, it's just miserable.

QDRPHNC

Yeah, that's pretty bleak.

shiftwork2

That's two paracetamol, surprised that wasn't clear from 'two paracetamol'.

canadagoose

I don't use paracetamol as I don't tend to find it helps me much and find ibuprofen better, however I did once have some prick barge through me and a mate when we were shitfaced, which caused me to slip off a curb and break my ankle. Despite being obviously quite drunk I got given paracetamol in A&E, I'm pretty sure it was over the home-recommended dose as well.
Careful with ibuprofen though! I'm sure you know already, but it can thin the stomach lining and make you more prone to infections. I was in hospital for a fortnight with a nasty case of it and I don't think my use of ibuprofen helped.

Cuntbeaks

I tend to wake up at Pensioner o'clock if ive had a session and am then unable to get back to sleep.

The filthy hangover sensation will be with me all day and can only be kept in check with water, Diarolyte, take away filth, being horizontal. If it's been a Big Session, the feeling will last for a second day.

I can second the suggestions of drinking plenty of water during the session and a cup of tea and a slice of toast before bed is also a good idea.

A Large Donner with extra chilli sauce most definitely is not.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: canadagoose on October 04, 2021, 04:02:43 PM
Careful with ibuprofen though! I'm sure you know already, but it can thin the stomach lining and make you more prone to infections. I was in hospital for a fortnight with a nasty case of it and I don't think my use of ibuprofen helped.

Cheers, I try and be careful and make sure I don't take it on an empty stomach etc. Generally speaking my digestive system seems to be pretty resilient to taking a beating, and I didn't notice much in the way of ill effects when I was put on some relative of Ibuprofen that was much stronger when I had the mumps years ago.

kngen

Well, I won't be having hangovers anymore as I've discovered in the past couple of weeks that my liver is a bit buggered, and so it's no alcohol and low sodium for me from now on (I'd already cut way down on my drinking since the start of the year anyway, so I'll miss it, but not that much. The low sodium thing is going to be a right pain in the arse, though). Being Americans, all the doctors I've seen immediately jump to the conclusion that it's the booze that's done for me (but enzyme tests, my age etc are introducing an element of doubt into that). What is far more likely is that it's the booze combined with a years-long reliance on Night Nurse[nb]or Nyquil as they call it over here[/nb] to get to sleep that has done the damage. Oh, and I used to batter through a box of Lemsips in no time when I felt like I had a cold (which was a lot, because my immune system was fucked due to being hungover, stressed and prone to fitful sleep patterns).

So yeah, go easy on the paracetemol when boozing. I'm sure a couple here and there aren't going to have a huge effect, but making it a regular thing could have some fairly shitty consequences.

canadagoose

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on October 04, 2021, 04:05:24 PM
Cheers, I try and be careful and make sure I don't take it on an empty stomach etc. Generally speaking my digestive system seems to be pretty resilient to taking a beating, and I didn't notice much in the way of ill effects when I was put on some relative of Ibuprofen that was much stronger when I had the mumps years ago.
Ah I'm sure you'll be fine, I'm just a bit of a delicate flower when it comes to digestive stuff. I just get scared that other people have to go through a vomit-and-pain-fest like that and I don't want them to, is all.

gilbertharding

Despite being obviously quite drunk I got given paracetamol in A&E, I'm pretty sure it was over the home-recommended dose as well.

Last time I was in A&E (broken collarbone, four ribs, and a punctured lung) I was sober, and when they finally gave me pain relief it was Paracetamol.

When I said, jokingly but hopefully "Special extra strong paracetamol though, right?" the nurse said "No. Normal ones."

It wasn't until the next day I was given the liquid morphine and the day after that I had an epidural...

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: gilbertharding on October 04, 2021, 04:34:01 PM
Last time I was in A&E (broken collarbone, four ribs, and a punctured lung) I was sober, and when they finally gave me pain relief it was Paracetamol.

When I said, jokingly but hopefully "Special extra strong paracetamol though, right?" the nurse said "No. Normal ones."

It wasn't until the next day I was given the liquid morphine and the day after that I had an epidural...

They were really quite good to me. Doing it in the small hours of Sunday morning they didn't have a plasterer due until mid-morning. But thankfully they found a cubby-hole with a bed to shove me in rather than sending me home and telling me to come back (although by that point I'd have probably just hung around in the cafe/waiting areas anyway).