Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,576,478
  • Total Topics: 106,648
  • Online Today: 708
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 04:35:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Long hangover

Started by kalowski, October 04, 2021, 06:34:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gilbertharding

Don't get me wrong - I wasn't complaining. I had brilliant treatment - although A&E seemed a bit chaotic, as I expect it often can.

I guess the fact that I was able to make wry jokes about my predicament probably didn't help me though. They'd have (correctly) assumed that I was further back in the queue than people who'd lost their sense of humour.

Zetetic

Quote from: shiftwork2 on October 04, 2021, 03:55:57 PM
That's two paracetamol, surprised that wasn't clear from 'two paracetamol'.
Point taken.

shiftwork2

No bother, a decent point was made about the differences between paracetamol and ibuprofen.

H-O-W-L

For me the reason not to take paracetamol (or any painkiller really) after you've had a belter is... well, you've done the damage to yourself, and anything that might potentially exacerbate it should be avoided, aye? Already taken a health hit, why double down on it even if it makes you feel better? Sort of like hair of the dog -- sure it might make you feel better but it's just not worth the potential for further damage, however slight. It's something your body can recover from of its own accord, so just wait it out is my motto. It's not something you can just beat by using cheats.

I'm not against pain management for chronic issues or if it's genuinely truly miserable -- I'd never hold anyone else to this standard -- but this's just my reasoning for it.

This law, however, does not include the lull period between days of a multi-day bender, for you Bangface goers, so you can cane yer warm Dragon Soop in yer tent at 9am all you like.

Fr.Bigley

Mine last a while now, certainly 10-12 hours. I never get hangovers with the banging head but I do get the crippling anxiety, dizziness and the most acrid beer shits going. Like, I'm on the pan 5 times before lunchtime and it's the gut wringing painful shits that offer temporary relief until you realise the next wave of loose, airy, gas filled shits are about to spew from your tea towel holder.

I've recorded 9 shits post binge which was a low point in my life, as I was at work for every shameful effluence and my co-workers went into staff toilets often and remarked how God awful the smell was.

There is such a thing as a bad pint, or 12 of them.

Lost Oliver

As previously mentioned, three pints of water whilst eating a pizza and then half a xanax works wonders. Not sure why, is it something to do with sleep repairing the brain? I kinda made that up but it makes sense.

I'll also add the rehydration sachet to my 'to-do' list from now on.

chrispmartha

I've not had a drink for 21 months - I like/liked drinking a lot, I hated the hangovers, I think this is why ive managed to stay off the booze and I've found it rather easy, which has surprised me greatly.

None of my friends can understand it, they've actually been really supportive but they think I'm weird for doing it.

My anxiety levels have plummeted and if i do start feeling anxious being off the booze makes it do much easier to deal with.

I haven't been able to 'sleep in' since quitting though, up at 6ish even in a weekend but that's probably because I can't seem to stay up past 10pm anymore, sounds shit but Im quite enjoying that shift.

Not drinking isn't as scary as I thought it would be, I do still crave a large Brandy on an evening though sometimes!

kngen

I've found the ritual of sitting in my garden to have a fake beer or two just as relaxing as drinking the real thing. I get the feeling my neural pathways are so deeply carved out through habit, it can barely tell the difference. Except now I can stop after two, and go about the rest of my night sober (and do sober - albeit not very interesting -  stuff) rather than agonising whether I can sneak another couple in without it getting out of hand, and/or nipping down to the shop 'for a can'.

The lack of anxiety is a wonder, as is getting up in the morning without wanting death to sweep me away to a better, calmer place.

chrispmartha

Quote from: kngen on October 07, 2021, 04:29:00 PM
I've found the ritual of sitting in my garden to have a fake beer or two just as relaxing as drinking the real thing. I get the feeling my neural pathways are so deeply carved out through habit, it can barely tell the difference. Except now I can stop after two, and go about the rest of my night sober (and do sober - albeit not very interesting -  stuff) rather than agonising whether I can sneak another couple in without it getting out of hand, and/or nipping down to the shop 'for a can'.

The lack of anxiety is a wonder, as is getting up in the morning without wanting death to sweep me away to a better, calmer place.

Yes, I was never s big beer drinker but the non alcoholic beer that's available now has helped, especially in social situations.

I tried some 0% Guinness the other day and it's really really god, however it gave me incredible wind :-)

Rizla

I stopped in february, not a drop since. Meant to do 6 months but that came and went and I haven't felt the urge at all. Had a wedding gig a few weeks back and had to stay til the very end cos I was in charge of the PA system. In the past I'd have been sinking as much as possible while the bar was open and would have felt panicked if I didn't at least have a couple of cans or a bottle of wine to go home to, not having that even cross my mind was a blessed relief. Agree with kngen about the neural pathways thing, I'm happy to meet friends at the pub and enjoy a furstenburg or two while they pint it, and nice not to be the one lobbying for another round, moving on somewhere else or whatever. Hopefully more pubs start doing the Guinness 0.0, the lads have proper cracked it with that one. It'll be nice to one day go back to enjoying a nice wine with dinner or a lovely series of pints with friends but I'm gonna stick to the clean living for a while, I want to be a stable presence in my kids lives. Which is why I've started nailing their shoes to their feet and feeding them hay.

kalowski

I guess I'm lucky. I get the long hangover after a big session, but I'm 50 and have had two this year. And will probably ensure I don't do that again.
I can easily have one tonight and not crave a single drop more. I never seem to worry about running out (have about 40 bottles of wine in the house and 4 bottles of whiskey) but I can stop like that[nb] Unless, it seems, I'm with my fucking mates.[/nb].

Johnny Foreigner

It's been seven or eight years since I had a really bad hangover that forced me to stay in bed the next day. On a normal night, I might have an ale or two and a glass of wine without experiencing any effects on the morrow. If I do feel a might queasy, I just drink coke. It always does the trick.

On my birthday, I was at a whisky tasting in the Isle of Arran, where, amongst many wonderful samples, we were given an 80% alcohol solution 'by way of demonstration'. I think I tasted eight whiskies in all, in the space of about an hour. Not entirely unexpectedly, I could barely touch brekkie next morning, so I resorted to my usual remedy: one litre of regular coke. Never fails.

TrenterPercenter

I might have said this before but in a way I like hangovers; they make me stop doing anything and I just sit there waiting to coalesce again.  I've spoken to this with a mate about the harming aspects of alcohol and then the sense of repair along the hangover course and he agreed so might be a thing.   What I've been finding more and more as I've gotten older is less anxiety more morbid depression and complete disinterest in anything; then after 4-5 hours it's like my mind comes back with all it's yabbering and incessant bullshit about all and everything [nb]This morning I woke and for some reason starting thinking I love particle physics but I don't really understand how it works; no idea why; but I will obsessively begin learning about particle physics for the next few months, fuck knows why but it will happen[/nb] and I'm good to go. 

It's very interesting how hangovers impact our psychological state, we don't really study our experience of alcohol when we are drunk because we are so uninhibited (and pissed) but hangovers can really highlight how the chemical mood music in your noggin can shape your perspective and mindset.

Yes, when I stopped drinking I actually missed the hangover more than the getting pissed.
Your brain just seems to shut the fuck up for the day. You get this nice sort of comforting fluey feeling, food tastes ten times better, and even playing games, I always seemed to get difficult 1cc's when I was hungover, it seemed to dull the overthinking part of my brain which was constantly second guessing myself and worrying and I would just do it.

Of course, you feel a bit queasy, but nothing comes for free.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: ICYou get this nice sort of comforting fluey feeling, food tastes ten times better,

What on earth

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on October 08, 2021, 12:09:04 PM
What on earth

Makes sense, hangover munch is great, but then I am a serial non-eater before I go on session so I'm generally very hungry by the time my stomach has eased from the initial alcohol. 

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on October 08, 2021, 12:09:04 PM
What on earth

Haha, does it not for you? I don't know if it's just you're craving the salts you need to replenish so you taste it a lot more. I don't know, anything I eat when I'm hungover seems to taste way nicer :D

JaDanketies

Certainly wouldn't get a hangover to make food tasre better. Even a tiny amount of weed is surely just as beneficial, and it doesn't come with the whole 'suicidal ideation' thing

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: JaDanketies on October 08, 2021, 12:58:12 PM
Certainly wouldn't get a hangover to make food tasre better. Even a tiny amount of weed is surely just as beneficial, and it doesn't come with the whole 'suicidal ideation' thing

Honestly weed is the worst for suicidal ideation, anxiety and psychosis in a lot of people.  It works for you which is great, it used to work for me, but it absolutely doesn't for everyone, like most people.

My thing was lots of whiskey and lots of weed. I'd usually wait until I'd had enough booze to take the edge off the weed because that would make me more anxious.
I don't think food tasted better when I had a smoke, I would just eat lots more of it!

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on October 08, 2021, 01:05:32 PM
My thing was lots of whiskey and lots of weed. I'd usually wait until I'd had enough booze to take the edge off the weed because that would make me more anxious.
I don't think food tasted better when I had a smoke, I would just eat lots more of it!

I used to be one of those "Weed is Life" people back in my younger days but I'm pretty intolerant to it now, had two good friends both develop psychosis (it obviously doesn't have that effect on most people) and another who is just completely dependent on it, like even his wife said can you start smoking again because you are a nightmare when you are straight. 

It's a great thing and I enjoyed my time with it immensely but the people do love telling everyone how much they should smoke weed because it is great for everything.  Have people actually met people that are stoned? They are usually fantastically boring.  For all the kaya power-vibes it's a very unsociable drug; other than passing a spliff to someone and being bored to death about hydroponics or some conspiracy theory.  It ain't all that.

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on October 08, 2021, 12:59:57 PM
Honestly weed is the worst for suicidal ideation, anxiety and psychosis in a lot of people.  It works for you which is great, it used to work for me, but it absolutely doesn't for everyone, like most people.

I smoked weed for 25 years no problem then the anxiety kicked in, I think it happens to everyone in the end.

Icehaven

I've smoked weed twice in my life and it made me puke both times, had a hash brownie once and just felt a mild dulling of my senses for a few hours. I also can't stand the smell, I honestly think it smells like faeces.

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on October 08, 2021, 02:47:48 PMIt's a great thing and I enjoyed my time with it immensely but the people do love telling everyone how much they should smoke weed because it is great for everything.

Oh, definitely.
I lost a lot of good years of my life to that shit.
Like you say, lots of people can get away with it, but I wouldn't recommend it.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: Better Midlands on October 08, 2021, 02:51:39 PM
I smoked weed for 25 years no problem then the anxiety kicked in, I think it happens to everyone in the end.

Yeah, when the weed is telling to stop smoking weed, probably time to stop.

Lost lots of time to it too... of course, it was at a low point in my life, so I potentially could have lost the same time to something even more destructive.

kalowski

Weed never made me anxious, but I don't like the act of smoking. That can't be good for you.
I did speed once and it gave me the worst day after horrors I have ever had. A horrible drug I'll never touch again.
I cannot understand those people saying "the thing i miss about drinking is the hangover" I get no pleasure at all from that feeling.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: kalowski on October 08, 2021, 03:26:23 PM
I cannot understand those people saying "the thing i miss about drinking is the hangover" I get no pleasure at all from that feeling.

I'm not saying it is an enjoyable feeling but an opportunity to stop.  Drinking can be very much a self-harming act and the healing act of the hangover fitting into that cycle quite well.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: kalowski on October 08, 2021, 03:26:23 PM
Weed never made me anxious, but I don't like the act of smoking. That can't be good for you.

I didn't smoke weed for years until it became legal here and then I started again. But it's so much better now! I used to get a ziploc bag off my friend that sent me into mind-crumbling paranoia regularly. Now I know exactly what's in it, THC vs. CBD, can vape it, smoke it, eat it, drink it... legalization is the way to go.

JaDanketies

Was gonna say but it's cliché. I used to buy ounces and one day I was getting severe paranoia and anxiety off weed, and i thought the dreaded fear had finally got me. Then I bought another ounce of a different strain and was fine again. Only happened once but i agree smoking weed and having an anxiety attack certainly doesn't sell the substance, but I do feel its strain dependent. Loads of memes saying similar things where the person saying it iis supposed to be cringy

chrispmartha

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on October 08, 2021, 11:51:24 AM
I might have said this before but in a way I like hangovers; they make me stop doing anything and I just sit there waiting to coalesce again.  I've spoken to this with a mate about the harming aspects of alcohol and then the sense of repair along the hangover course and he agreed so might be a thing.   What I've been finding more and more as I've gotten older is less anxiety more morbid depression and complete disinterest in anything; then after 4-5 hours it's like my mind comes back with all it's yabbering and incessant bullshit about all and everything [nb]This morning I woke and for some reason starting thinking I love particle physics but I don't really understand how it works; no idea why; but I will obsessively begin learning about particle physics for the next few months, fuck knows why but it will happen[/nb] and I'm good to go. 

It's very interesting how hangovers impact our psychological state, we don't really study our experience of alcohol when we are drunk because we are so uninhibited (and pissed) but hangovers can really highlight how the chemical mood music in your noggin can shape your perspective and mindset.

I do not miss the hangovers at all, in fact that's probably the thing that's making me stay off the booze!

I can't believe how many wasted Sundays Ive had as ive been too hungover to do anything at all, them leads into anxiety for a few days which affects my work, nope don't miss them at all!