Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:41:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Comedians you don’t like making you laugh

Started by a peepee tipi, October 04, 2021, 10:01:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

a peepee tipi

I was going back through some of the discussions about Nanette and Michael Che had some harsh criticism about comics like Gadsby and Chris Gethard, but he couched it with this line about it being a "goddamn mild inconvenience" which was funny and J appreciated the awareness. Tbf my answer's kind of a cop-out because I caught an hour of him that I really enjoyed and he is seriously bogged down by having to sit next to Colin Jost every week vomiting the bullshit of shitty writers (not to go full comedy nerd but the additions of Please Don't Destroy and Sarah Sherman have reinvigorated my interest in SNL and they're totally worth mentioning), but, shit Artie Lange and Patrice O'Neal make me laugh hard and they're detestable. It's hard with the canceleds like Louis C.K., so I know this kind of broad, but yeah what is your immediate answer to the thread title

To make it clearer, if there's a comedian you fundamentally disagree with but find funny, they count. If there's a comedian you think is shit but has surprised you with a good joke, they also count

Bigfella

I don't like Russell Brand.  Years ago he was doing a sketch on TV which involved doppelgangers appearing so that he had to argue with versions of himself.  The performance itself was grating because it was Russell Brand, but the concept was good.  Don't know if he wrote it himself.

Quote from: Bigfella on October 04, 2021, 10:58:36 AM
I don't like Russell Brand.  Years ago he was doing a sketch on TV which involved doppelgangers appearing so that he had to argue with versions of himself.  The performance itself was grating because it was Russell Brand, but the concept was good.  Don't know if he wrote it himself.

I remember that one, more than likely will have been co-written with his long time collaborator Matt Morgan.

Fairly obvious, but Woody Allens 1964 comedy album is still great even though I am strongly opposed to all the subsequent noncing.

He didn't make me laugh directly, but there's a long-standing (and possibly apocryphal) story that used to do the rounds in the North East that Chubby Brown was once kicked off the stage in a Catholic club within about 10 seconds of getting onto the stage, after pointing to a large crucifix replete with a corpus and saying 'I see you caught the cunt who nicked the telly'.

Fair play to the racist twat if that story is true - it's a good joke and would have taken bollocks to tell it.

Pancake

Went to that comedy gala thing on a freebie and I've got to admit Michael McIntyre's 'african' accent did make me laugh. They do sound like that!

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Pancake on October 04, 2021, 01:41:18 PM
Went to that comedy gala thing on a freebie and I've got to admit Michael McIntyre's 'african' accent did make me laugh. They do sound like that!

McIntyre did genuinely make me LOL once on TV some years ago, but I honestly couldn't tell you what show it was (it was standup rather than a chat show, that much I remember) nor what the joke/quip was, and I'm not about to wade through his material to find it.

bgmnts

I'll be honest and heretical and say I dont really like Vic Reeves much for some reason, but him asking for a fried egg at Gordon Ramsay's restaurant was genuinely quite funny to me at the time.

Bigfella

Quote from: Bobloblawslawbomb on October 04, 2021, 11:17:13 AM
I remember that one, more than likely will have been co-written with his long time collaborator Matt Morgan.

Fairly obvious, but Woody Allens 1964 comedy album is still great even though I am strongly opposed to all the subsequent noncing.
Still enjoy Allen's 'Manhattan Murder Mystery'.  When watching it I just get drawn in, seperating the art from the artist as the saying goes.  What was the deal with him anyway - I stand to be corrected, was he innocent of the stepdaughter stuff then he held his hands up to interfering with the babysitters?

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: TheBrownBottle on October 04, 2021, 11:22:26 AM
He didn't make me laugh directly, but there's a long-standing (and possibly apocryphal) story that used to do the rounds in the North East that Chubby Brown was once kicked off the stage in a Catholic club within about 10 seconds of getting onto the stage, after pointing to a large crucifix replete with a corpus and saying 'I see you caught the cunt who nicked the telly'.

Fair play to the racist twat if that story is true - it's a good joke and would have taken bollocks to tell it.

It's in his autobiography on this page https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=S9ub_1cfJ2MC&pg=PT162&lpg=PT162&dq#v=onepage&q&f=false
Bear in mind that he's full of shit.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Bigfella on October 04, 2021, 01:58:50 PM
                        Still enjoy Allen's 'Manhattan Murder Mystery'.  When watching it I just get drawn in, seperating the art from the artist as the saying goes.  What was the deal with him anyway - I stand to be corrected, was he innocent of the stepdaughter stuff then he held his hands up to interfering with the babysitters?

It's really for a separate thread, but I believe what he's supposed to have done according to Mia and Dylan Farrow is still officially "alleged" and the "only" stuff he can legitimately be criticised for at the moment is being a dirty old man and a bit "handsy"(*). 

(* - I'm prepared to be corrected as I haven't kept track of it all for years, and all the discussions on CaB always seem to [or at least always used to] take Mia Farrow's word as gospel, when she's hardly a reliable witness and a bit suss in her own right, and other members of the Allen-Farrow clan have said that the accusations are categorically false.  That being said, I've always thought Manhattan was pretty dodgy from when I first saw it in the late 80s)

Gulftastic

Quote from: TheBrownBottle on October 04, 2021, 11:22:26 AM

Speaking of Chubby, I've heard him credited with the rather excellent line 'I wiped my arse with the Daily Mail. More shit came off the paper.'

Can anyone confirm?

checkoutgirl

Quote from: a peepee tipi on October 04, 2021, 10:01:52 AM
Patrice O'Neal

Great shout. He must be one of the best stand ups ever but his stuff on women is really horrible sometimes. Up to and including commenting on women in the audience.

*this'll end well section*
I've been listening to Roy Chubby Brown for the last few weeks off and on. He's got a commanding enough stage presence and his delivery is quite good. I've laughed here and there. His schtick is 90% blue, 7% old jokes and 3% racism. The most disturbing part is when the 3% racism crops up and it gets a loud cheer from the audience when everything else just gets a laugh. All of a sudden it's in that Trump rally vibe and a bit sinister not much fun.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Bennett Brauer on October 04, 2021, 02:03:47 PM
Bear in mind that he's full of shit.

Any time I hear a comedian tell a "true story" I remind myself it's their job to make people laugh and not necessarily to tell the truth. I came to this conclusion when Reginald D Hunter did a bit about his dad doing fetish stuff for money or something like that.

Bigfella

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on October 04, 2021, 02:04:19 PM
It's really for a separate thread, but I believe what he's supposed to have done according to Mia and Dylan Farrow is still officially "alleged" and the "only" stuff he can legitimately be criticised for at the moment is being a dirty old man and a bit "handsy"(*). 

(* - I'm prepared to be corrected as I haven't kept track of it all for years, and all the discussions on CaB always seem to [or at least always used to] take Mia Farrow's word as gospel, when she's hardly a reliable witness and a bit suss in her own right, and other members of the Allen-Farrow clan have said that the accusations are categorically false.  That being said, I've always thought Manhattan was pretty dodgy from when I first saw it in the late 80s)
Different film, mate.  'Manhattan Murder Mystery' is the one with Alan Alda and Angelica Houston in it.  Woody Allen and Diane Keaton have a murderous neighbour.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Bigfella on October 04, 2021, 02:26:08 PM
                        Different film, mate.  'Manhattan Murder Mystery' is the one with Alan Alda and Angelica Houston in it.  Woody Allen and Diane Keaton have a murderous neighbour.

Yeah, I know they're two different films - I mentioned Manhattan purely as an addendum to the point about the accusations, completely unrelated to your viewing of Manhattan Murder Mystery (years since I've seen it, but I don't remember anything dodgy about Murder Mystery).

Bigfella

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on October 04, 2021, 02:29:54 PM
Yeah, I know they're two different films - I mentioned Manhattan purely as an addendum to the point about the accusations, completely unrelated to your viewing of Manhattan Murder Mystery (years since I've seen it, but I don't remember anything dodgy about Murder Mystery).
OK, got you.  Rest assured that MMM isn't dodgy, just a solid, sparky comedy/drama.  Includes the wee yin himself taking a full on shoulder barge at a door.  Upon his inevitable failure he mutters 'must be one of those new doors'.

Shaky

Quote from: Bigfella on October 04, 2021, 10:58:36 AM

Brand also did a bit on Ponderland about Dads having brown willies that still makes me laugh. Especially as I have one now.

Pink Gregory

Thoroughly enjoyed the one episode of Ponderland that I've been shown.  I know half of the humour is in the found videos but the colour chart of dad's willies was fun

timebug

Never liked Sarah Millican, but I admit that on either Mock The Week or Catsdown, she has made me laugh a couple of times.

Magnum Valentino

There's probably a more forgiving subsection of this for comedians whose acts aren't funny but are themselves funny in the podcast/interview/panel show context, into which I'd throw Richard Herring (I only mean his standup - his TV and radio sketch work is ace), Aisling Bea, Roisin Conaty, Dara O'Briain and loads of others.

Bernard Manning's 'fugging dizgrace' will be funny forever. Seem to remember Chubby getting a laugh in League of Gentlemen too?

Oh, Nobody

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on October 04, 2021, 02:29:54 PM

Alan Alda pretends to be a casting agent? Director? to fuck young starlets, no comeuppance that I recall (in fact I think that's where we leave the character) Woody and co have a "oh, you!" type reaction.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Oh, Nobody on October 05, 2021, 11:59:36 AM
Alan Alda pretends to be a casting agent? Director? to fuck young starlets, no comeuppance that I recall (in fact I think that's where we leave the character) Woody and co have a "oh, you!" type reaction.

Can't remember - I've not seen it since it came out in the cinema, so it's been nearly 30 years.

thewomb

Glinner blurring out Barney Rubble. Genuinely laughing just thinking about it.

Mister Six

I've loathed Ricky Gervais since The 11 O'Clock Show, but this line made me laugh: "And I say sometimes you've got to punch down. Like if you're beating up a disabled toddler."

The Mollusk

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on October 05, 2021, 09:48:08 AM
Seem to remember Chubby getting a laugh in League of Gentlemen too?

The bit that cracks me up is when his PR guy (Gatiss) is telling him he needs to do something to keep people calm about the nosebleed epidemic and he barks an exasperated "FUCK! OFF!" in reply.

Shit Good Nose

I'll caveat this straight away by saying I'm not keen on League Of Gentlemen (or Chubby Brown), but I think they missed a trick there - I've always thought they should have had him remain calm, quiet and polite whilst everyone else was turning the air blue, which would have been unexpected, but his sudden burst of filth was very predictable - you were waiting for and expecting it the second he appeared.  Mind you, I DO get that a big chunk of LOG is intentionally setting up obvious jokes and then delivering on them.

Harvey Milk

Strangely enough, I misread the thread title as Comedians who don't like making you laugh and immediately thought of Hannah Gadsby as well.

McChesney Duntz

Quote from: Oh, Nobody on October 05, 2021, 11:59:36 AM

No, he pretends to be a director to get the suspected murderer's mistress to read from a script that they use to fake a phone call from the mistress to the suspected murderer. The fact that he sleeps with her is incidental. (But still under false pretenses, so, no, not very good. But probably not the character's overt intent.)

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on October 05, 2021, 02:31:31 PM
I'll caveat this straight away by saying I'm not keen on League Of Gentlemen (or Chubby Brown), but I think they missed a trick there - I've always thought they should have had him remain calm, quiet and polite whilst everyone else was turning the air blue, which would have been unexpected, but his sudden burst of filth was very predictable - you were waiting for and expecting it the second he appeared.  Mind you, I DO get that a big chunk of LOG is intentionally setting up obvious jokes and then delivering on them.

do remember it really making me laugh once; from memory, when his character is being interviewed by a reporter, and is totally polite and 'on-message'.  The reporter says thanks and he replies, again really politely, 'It's been a fucking pleasure'.  The amusement really wasn't so much in the swearing as a) the look of resigned disappointment on his face and b) the recognition of something that a lot of us have done; i.e. held something together with a massive effort and then, just when we're relaxing at the end, slip up.

Cuellar

edit: christ how did I miss rector post basically word for word what I posted