Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:29:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Jazz Jokes (Hopefully w/ Attribution)

Started by MortSahlFan, October 04, 2021, 12:57:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MortSahlFan

There's so many great ones full of wit/truth and it would be nice for all of us to have a laugh.

I know many of these jazz jokes are often repeated, changed around, mis-attributed at times, but try the best you can. Even if they're second-hand - the story behind them is also interesting, and informative as well as funny.

The last time I saw Mort Sahl, he told a joke that always stuck with me. He would go on the road with Stan Kenton and Dave Brubeck, and he is a comedian, so it could have been linked in with that group for convenience, but I'll just repeat what I heard....

Stan Kenton tells his band he got a tip that the narcotics officers were around, so be safe in regards to your "stuff". When the band gets to the venue, a guy (no one knows) comes in with a sax and asks if he can sit in with the band.. They say sure, but he's AWFUL... so Stan Kenton tells him:

"Man, I sure hope you're a cop!"

:)

darby o chill

Not a 'joke' by any means but I always get a laugh from Teo Macero chatting about working with Miles on Bitches Brew. His little impressions are great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__6UOzvRmEE

Rizla

There's this exchange during some way-out improvising -"What the hell are you doing?" "I'm just playing what I feel" "Well could you try feeling something in E flat please" but I forget who said it.

darby o chill

Not Jazz but James Brown riffing with the band towards the end of Escapism Pt. 2 is fun.

JB: Fred where you from?
Fred Wesley: L.A.
Rest of band (in mock horror): oh, ohhhhh....
Fred : Lower Alabama :)

https://youtu.be/jLX9wK6TF04?t=196

MortSahlFan

Quote from: Rizla on October 05, 2021, 12:43:10 PM
There's this exchange during some way-out improvising -"What the hell are you doing?" "I'm just playing what I feel" "Well could you try feeling something in E flat please" but I forget who said it.

Some time ago, the tenor saxophonist Frank Foster was playing a street concert from the Jazzmobile in Harlem. He called for a blues in B-flat.

A young tenor player began to play "out" from the first chorus, playing sounds that had no relationship to the harmonic progression or rhythmic setting.

Foster stopped him. "What are you doing?"

"Just playing what I feel."

"Well, feel something in B-flat, motherfucker."

The Mollusk

"You mean I've been playing an umbrella for 30 years? Why didn't anyone tell me?"

"We all thought it was funny!"

"That's not funny."

A horn player who had been playing with Buddy Rich for many years came back from vacation to hear a rumour that Buddy had died. He didn't quite believe it, so he phoned Buddy's wife and said "Can I speak to Buddy please?"

Buddy's wife said, "I'm sorry, Buddy passed away last week."

"Oh, I'm sorry to hear that," he said, and hung up.

A couple of hours later, he called her again. "Is Buddy there please?"

"No, I'm sorry. Buddy's no longer with us," said Buddy's wife. And hung up the phone.

Ten minutes later, he called Buddy's wife again. "Can I speak to Buddy please?" he said.

She recognised his voice, and said: "Look, I've told you before, BUDDY'S DEAD!" And slammed down the phone.

Two minutes later, and the phone rang again... "Is Buddy at home please?" the horn player asked.

Buddy's wife was furious. "I'm not going to tell you again, Buddy is dead.. D. E. A. D. DEAD. Why do you keep ringing me to ask for Buddy???!!!!"

He thought for a moment, and said: "I just love hearing you say it."

MortSahlFan

Jack Tracy relates in the liner notes to the Jazz Messengers' "Roots & Herbs": Once, when the Messengers were in their station wagon on one of those seemingly interminable trips between dates, they came to the outskirts of a small town and, seeing a goodly crowd gathered, got out to stretch their legs and see what was happening. It was a funeral. The moved up closer. Intoned the minister, "Does anyone have anything to say before we inter these mortal remains?" Silence. Again the question was asked. Again, silence. At which point they say Art stepped forward and said huskily, "If there is nothing anyone wants to say about the deceased, I hope no one here minds if I say a few words about jazz."

MortSahlFan

It was late last night, so I didn't bother to turn on my computer to post it on here, but Mort was doing one of his shows in 2020 or 2019 (it's on YouTube), and he said he was neighbors with the musician Pete Candoli, and that he could hear he and his wife, Betty Hutton fighting. Supposedly, Pete said he was leaving and got into his car. Betty got a gun and shot his rear fender. Pete jumps out of the car and says:

"Hey baby, haven't you heard? You can't get a man with a gun!"

famethrowa

A few old faves that have been floating around Harlem from the 50s....

Which Jazz Fusion drummer established a parish in Surrey?
Spoiler alert
Billy Chobham
[close]

What David Bowie track best describes the current state of jazz trumpeter Blakey and jazz saxophonist Pepper?
Spoiler alert
Art Decayed
[close]

famethrowa

What did Horace Silver say when Charles Mingus kicked Miles Davis in the nuts?
Spoiler alert
"that's what I call an inverted second!!"
[close]

Why did George Shearing never substitute the dominant 7th?
Spoiler alert
Because he owned an 8-seater van.
[close]

famethrowa

How did Buddy Rich treat his floor tom?
Spoiler alert
Fired him and hired a new bass player.
[close]

Miles' most famous album featured a shockingly ribald joke about Lucille Wilson during the 2nd chorus of Freddie The Freeloader. When asked to describe the as-yet-unnamed album, Miles replied
Spoiler alert
"well, it's kind of blue...."
[close]

famethrowa

Why didn't Quincy Jones go and see the Ray Charles movie?
Spoiler alert
He doesn't like the "talkies"
[close]

What did Art Blakey say to Dave Brubeck's drummer when he played all over his solo?
Spoiler alert
"I 'ate you Butler!"
[close]

famethrowa

What did both Miles Davis and Jimmy Savile do in hospital toward the end of their life?
Spoiler alert
died                                                     .                                           .                     .
[close]

Did you hear the jazz pianist played a major triad?
Spoiler alert
No, I never did either
[close]

MortSahlFan

A precision mechanic and electrician is doing 20 years in Folsom for murdering his wife. He has only two more years to go when an ant comes into his cell and climbs up his tin bowl while he is eating. It explores the bowl with its feelers, and he thinks: "It looks as if it is drumming". The ant appears every day, and he decides to build an ant-sized drum kit for it in the prison workshop. It is adjusted to ant anatomy not only in size but also in shape and has several levels. The top level is cymbals only, the second level is made of toms, the third level consists of snare, a side drum, a few more toms and the cymbals of the hi-hat, the lowest level has bass drum and the hi-hat pedal. He also builds tiny microphones and speakers, a tiny amplyfier and a tiny stool for the ant to sit on.

When he has finished building the equipment for the ant he puts it on the table in his cell. When the ant appears it moves around the kit, finally sits down on the stool and starts drumming with its six legs and two feelers. It plays way better than any drummer that ever lived and can very well be heard.

When the man is finally released he puts the drum kit, the equipment and the ant into a box, goes to a fancy restaurant, orders an exquisite meal and a good bottle of wine and puts the drum equipment with the ant on the table, where it starts drumming immediately.

When the waiter returns with the meal and the bottle of wine the ex-prisoner points at the drumming ant and says: "Waiter, have you ever seen anything like this"?

"No" replies the waiter, "I am terribly sorry, it won't happen again" and crushes the ant with his thumb.

Twit 2

What do you get if you drop a piano down a mineshaft?

Spoiler alert
A flat miner
[close]

Video Game Fan 2000

the guy who delivers your fuel rubs his cock a lot doesnt he? yes ive got an
Spoiler alert
'orny coalman
[close]

Video Game Fan 2000

i heard you're going to sue the council is that true? yes because
Spoiler alert
my nan broke her hip going up the giant steps to the bus depot
[close]

Twit 2

If I had to Naima funny joke, that wouldn't be it.

Video Game Fan 2000

whats with all the police vans round the church? they found out who stole the collection plate,
Spoiler alert
it was a felonous monk.
[close]

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: Twit 2 on October 07, 2021, 09:16:04 PM
If I had to Naima funny joke, that wouldn't be it.

Yet you couldn't trump it.

Bennett Brauer

Which jazz pianist had this as an album cover?

Spoiler alert
Bollocks innit
[close]

Video Game Fan 2000

My mate said he had a couple of fit birds for us to go on a double date with. But when i got there
Spoiler alert
they were a couple of mingus.
[close]

Video Game Fan 2000

I love going to the circus, they've got a great act with birds. The parrot plays the piano
Spoiler alert
while a flamenco sketches
[close]

Video Game Fan 2000

Did you hear the famous cancelled comedian was arrested because they finally found evidence of his wrong doing? Yes, they noticed
Spoiler alert
that Louis' arm was strong
[close]
from all the wanking.

jobotic

Dave Brubeck was a generous man. When he offered you a fruit gum and you just took the one he'd always say "take five"

Video Game Fan 2000

I got into a big fight with my butcher today. I walked all the way into town and
Spoiler alert
he didn't have any chops
[close]

jobotic

Jeremy Corbyn only likes popular mainstream sounds and turns his nose up at progressive jazz.

He's for the many, not the fusion.

Video Game Fan 2000

The new landlord in the local pub always breaks the rules. Last friday he let us order
Spoiler alert
a round at about midnight
[close]