Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:24:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Dave Chappelle - The Closer

Started by up_the_hampipe, October 04, 2021, 04:14:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TommyTurnips

Quote from: madhair60 on October 21, 2021, 09:33:50 AM
nothing unreasonable about any of those demands and Netflix should acquiesce immediately. obviously everyone should have cancelled their sub by now.

I cancelled my Netflix subscription years ago when they started blocking VPNs so that I couldn't watch American Netflix anymore, forcing me to be faced with the prospect of watching boring UK Netflix. I was cancelling my  Netflix subscription before it was cool.

up_the_hampipe

Truly astonished by the shit takes all over Twitter. That was usually the place I'd see all the anger about offensive comedy, but they've been drowned out by "free speech" Trumpheads. Chappelle getting sincerely compared to Lenny Bruce. Oi vey!

Blinder Data

Quote from: madhair60 on October 21, 2021, 09:33:50 AM
nothing unreasonable about any of those demands and Netflix should acquiesce immediately. obviously everyone should have cancelled their sub by now.

Seriously, everyone? I've not watched the special and, based on what I've heard about it, don't plan to. If people are so moved by this controversy that they cancel Netflix and tell them why, good luck to them. But I don't see why people can't support the protests and the staff, and also keep enjoying all the other good Netflix stuff.

madhair60

g0m

please. talk to your most ponytailed male friend. they absolutely have an in to a plex server

Petey Pate

chveik

strange world where making a list of demands (that could deffo be met given netflix's huge ressources) during a protest is 'being a crybaby'

tribalfusion

Dave has long been a retrograde bore.  He's another in a long list of North American comics with their self-aggrandizing BS macho 'truth telling' nonsense which is almost always some sort of hackneyed apology for the status quo with some window dressing perhaps sparing whatever happens to be important to them by accident of birth.

Drafting Dr. King in the service of Dave's retrograde agenda was another in a series of lows for a man with a long list of lows as was his attempt to bolster his bona fides by talking about walking away from a lucrative deal...in between his other highly lucrative deals.

In a time when much of his home country could use real critiques of power and the powerful themselves, Dave once again turns his sights on those with no real power to speak of.

evilcommiedictator

I was very amused with the normal group of reply edgelords getting in on the news reports on the strike, with one saying "I'll bet none of these snowflakes have even watched this before protesting"
Yes, those Netflix employees who were making internal complaints about it before it released haven't seen it, you numpty

Mister Six

Chalk me up as another cis bloke who disagrees with Retinend. Demanding Netflix, a company with so much cash it could afford to pay one guy 50 million dollars for two comedy sets where he mocks trans people, use its massive resources to actually improve the lot of trans people in the industry and fund transgender creators seems totally reasonable, as does getting photos of a bigot taken down in the offices where trans people actually have to work.

rue the polywhirl

First demand seems extreme. Rest seems totally fine. At a workplace you need to accept working with people or images of people you don't like.

Joe Oakes

Watched this, mainly because I've wanted to hate Chappelle since his freakishly long t-shirt phase, and I wasn't disappointed.

The dodgy trans stuff has rightly received plenty of attention, but I was more shocked at how weak his material was in general. Must admit that his delivery remains impeccable, pleasant cadence blah blah. But the only time I laughed was at the 80s hip-hop reference with the Professor X from X-Clan sample over the post-credits logo. He raised the occasional half-smile with a few premises that were original in 2015, like Caitlin Jenner winning Woman of the Year at her first attempt, but were still far too dated and obvious to force me into exhaling breath, or respecting him as a comedian.

Does anyone else feel like his "I'll give the daughter her trust fund on her 21st birthday, in person" speech sounded like a self-preservation threat? You better treat me right, trans people, and definitely don't kill me, or the orphan doesn't go to college.

Cold Meat Platter

Last thing of his that I watched was the YouTube vid of his show about how he wanted to be paid by Netflix and it seemed like he'd disappeared up his own hoop entirely.
Never really rated him highly though, even his old stand up. This 'preacherman' phase can fuck right off though. You've been coddled all your adult life you hollywood prick.

Joe Oakes

And one more thing, I thought you were all exaggerating when you said he unironically called himself a GOAT, but it was even worse than I could have imagined. The cunt paused for a fucking applause break after he said it.

Retinend

Quote from: chveik on October 21, 2021, 10:17:30 PM
strange world where making a list of demands (that could deffo be met given netflix's huge ressources) during a protest is 'being a crybaby'

I didn't say that, but whatever...

recap:

Quote from: The Mollusk on October 21, 2021, 10:19:26 AMIt's not miscellany at all, it's very specific and the two examples which you've picked out (recontextualised in your own quote marks to make the protesters seem like reactionary crybabies for some weird reason) are completely valid reasons for complaint.

Quote from: Retinend on October 21, 2021, 10:39:50 AMIt's alright to say that I'm painting the first two complaints I mentioned as "crybaby", although I don't want to insult anyone in that way. I do think they are minor, nit-picky complaints that dilute the point of the protest.

madhair60

Quote from: rue the polywhirl on October 21, 2021, 11:06:13 PM
First demand seems extreme. Rest seems totally fine. At a workplace you need to accept working with people or images of people you don't like.

It isn't extreme in the slightest. They can take down the posters of the transphobe ffs

RicoMNKN

Quote from: Joe Oakes on October 22, 2021, 12:49:02 AM
Does anyone else feel like his "I'll give the daughter her trust fund on her 21st birthday, in person" speech sounded like a self-preservation threat? You better treat me right, trans people, and definitely don't kill me, or the orphan doesn't go to college.

It is very much a show that gets worse the more you think about it.
I mean, when you know he's getting $20 million for each, and how much he used Daphne in it, you have to wonder how big that trust fund is.

The Mollusk

Quote from: Retinend on October 22, 2021, 08:00:29 AM
I didn't say that, but whatever...

recap:

You didn't say it no, I did, because you framed it that way exactly and might as well have said it.

Retinend

already understood! As said, it's alright - you don't like the cut of my jib. No comment. I was just correcting Chveik.

up_the_hampipe

He's posted a video about being cancelled while performing in an arena https://www.instagram.com/p/CVde5tAFT4H/

This guy used to be one of my favourite comedians, now he's a total bore. That audience probably paid $200 per ticket to watch him not tell any jokes and have a moan.

Mister Six

Christ, I didn't even think - he's getting a cut of ticket sales on top of the Netflix money, isn't he?

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on October 25, 2021, 10:40:30 PM
He's posted a video about being cancelled while performing in an arena https://www.instagram.com/p/CVde5tAFT4H/

This guy used to be one of my favourite comedians, now he's a total bore. That audience probably paid $200 per ticket to watch him not tell any jokes and have a moan.

Does he say "the LBGTQ community" about one minute in, there? I mean Christ, if you're going to double down on this battle, may as well make sure you get their basic terminology right.

It's also frankly ridiculous to say none of this has anything to do with that community. It er ... it does. "Everyone I know from that community has been nothing but supportive, so I don't know what this is all about" - fucksake.

EDIT: God, you could spend hours responding to each sentence in this thing, but I'm sure it's obvious to anyone with half a modicum of sense. The guy's utterly fucking clueless about humanity, but I suppose you would be if you were told you were both an invincible, infallible God and a martyr.

EDIT 2: Hold on, the end point of that was to promote a documentary about himself?! And say he'll make it "available for all of you to see" by screening it in 10 cities? He's lost his mind.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on October 25, 2021, 11:18:47 PM
Does he say "the LBGTQ community" about one minute in, there? I mean Christ, if you're going to double down on this battle, may as well make sure you get their basic terminology right.

He does it multiple times in the special too. Clearly bisexuals mean a lot to him.

evilcommiedictator

What a massive crybaby
https://variety.com/2021/film/news/dave-chappelle-netflix-the-closer-trans-employees-1235097068/

Dave Chappelle Willing to Discuss 'The Closer' With Trans Community, but Says He's 'Not Bending to Anybody's Demands'
QuoteIn the video, Chappelle remained unapologetic about the special — which was accused of containing transphobic and homophobic remarks and led to a walkout at Netflix — saying: "I said what I said."

"It's been said in the press that I was invited to speak to the transgender employees of Netflix and I refused. That is not true — if they had invited me I would have accepted it, although I am confused about what we would be speaking about," Chappelle said in the video. "I said what I said, and boy, I heard what you said. My God, how could I not? You said you want a safe working environment at Netflix. It seems like I'm the only one that can't go to the office anymore."

QuoteChappelle claimed that the controversy was about "corporate interests" and that some members of the LGBTQ+ community have been supportive of him.

"I want everyone in this audience to know that even though the media frames it that it's me versus that community, that is not what it is. Do not blame the LBGTQ [sic] community for any of this shit. This has nothing to do with them. It's about corporate interests and what I can say and what I cannot say," Chappelle said. "For the record, and I need you to know this, everyone I know from that community has been loving and supporting, so I don't know what all this nonsense is about."

QuoteChappelle also spoke about his upcoming documentary about his summer 2020 comedy tour, claiming that it has now been excluded from film festivals.

QuoteThough Chappelle said he was willing to meet with members of the trans community, he jokingly listed off a slew of conditions that would have to be met: "To the transgender community, I am more than willing to give you an audience, but you will not summon me. I am not bending to anybody's demands. And if you want to meet with me, I'd be more than willing to, but I have some conditions. First of all, you cannot come if you have not watched my special from beginning to end. You must come to a place of my choosing at a time of my choosing, and thirdly, you must admit that Hannah Gadsby is not funny."

So last week he said he loves being cancelled, and as it turns out, all of his best LGBQTI friends say he's right, and the Woke Media are wrong, and please studios pick up my new project I don't understand how actions have consequences

Noodle Lizard

The weirdest thing is that he made such a big deal about The Closer being his "last special, at least for a while" and kind of presented it as a "fuck you" curtain call. But now here he is a couple of weeks later complaining that he's not allowed back in the Netflix offices?

If you have that much money and never need to work another day in your life, and you have some controversial things to say that you think "need to be heard" or whatever, just do that and then turn off your phone. I think everything he does is about making a big scene rather than any sincerely-held principals, and I kind of suspected that with the whole Chappelle Show exit too. It's actually quite easy to be principled and stay true to yourself, but difficult to do that whilst also expecting comfort and universal admiration.

peanutbutter

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on October 25, 2021, 11:45:05 PM
but difficult to do that whilst also expecting comfort and universal admiration.
I think it's kind of creeped up on him without realising. I remember when he was first back dabbling with standup around 2010 he seemed to have the occasional disaster of a set whilst also seemingly trying to be more interesting (wasn't he doing like 4 hour sets outta the blue at one point?) he gradually slipped into fairly rote stuff but he maintained the rep as this difficult enigma and I think he's maybe just a bit oblivious to how lazy he has gotten.

Can see him going a bit insane from this backlash struggling to accept he's being a dick, if he's not deeply immersed in twitter bullshit already he will be within a few months. Probably not US Glinner levels or anything, but still.

g0m

GoblinAhFuckScary

Wonderful Butternut

checkoutgirl

Do Netflix have any quality control or do they just pen 20 million dollar contracts with the one provision being to do an hour standing on stage with noise coming out of your mouth? I assume it is and that's a pretty good deal for Chappelle but it means he doesn't have to hone or road test any material. Like Gervais he gets a king's ransom, no questions asked for whinging about whatever pleb on Twitter has dared to question him. Netflix just throw tens of millions at big names and this is what happens.

The Closer was not well named because it seems he can't shut his mouth for 5 seconds. These people not only want truck loads of cash but they must be universally adored and agreed with at all times and anyone who criticises them at all can go fuck themselves. They put 15 minutes work into their last special, isn't that enough?

I'M THE GREATEST OF ALL TIME!!!!