Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 01:08:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

XIInner: 12 Angry Men Won't Wheest: Onward Cistern Soldiers! A bonkers dozen

Started by madhair60, October 04, 2021, 04:44:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: buttgammon on October 15, 2021, 09:41:07 PM
Like it says on the titles, 'Written by and Arthur Mathews'. Not sure how the 'and' crept in there but there you go.

His parents christened him 'and' but he felt that sounded a bit silly so he went by his middle name instead.

wrec

Quote from: buttgammon on October 15, 2021, 09:41:07 PM
Like it says on the titles, 'Written by and Arthur Mathews'. Not sure how the 'and' crept in there but there you go.

I don't go along with that trope though. Mathews was happy to work with Linehan recently enough and the latter seems be under the impression that Pope Ted is still a goer.

buttgammon

Quote from: wrec on October 15, 2021, 11:28:47 PM
I don't go along with that trope though. Mathews was happy to work with Linehan recently enough and the latter seems be under the impression that Pope Ted is still a goer.

I wonder how much of this is serious work or not. At the same time, I know Mathews may or may not have signed some petition (IIRC his name wasn't spelled correctly so I'm not confident he actually did this himself) and I know he hasn't done anything to distance himself from transphobia. My guess is that he's probably not especially interested and may be willing to nod along to some extent.

Mister Six

Also, his very close friend and former writing partner has gone fucking mental, and he might just not want to rock that boat too much.

wrec

Yeah that's probably true and to be fair it is an impossible situation to be in. I don't buy the speculation that the musical was an intervention or that any of the successful professionals involved put their time in for any reason other than trying to develop a saleable production. It's possible that if they were to fall out it would cause unpleasantness for family, business associates or whatever. He may indeed not be interested but I don't think there's any reason to believe, as people seem to want to, that he's the anti-Glinner, or even particularly unsympathetic to his position if not his disruptive bananacuntery. Still not sure why *harrassing people on a daily basis* wasn't a red line issue.

imitationleather

There definitely was a period where a Father Ted musical would have been a nice little earner.

That ship has well and truly sailed though. We're talking thread #3 here.

imitationleather

I'm wondering if I can include A Christmassy Ted in my annual sitcom specials marathon this Christmas. He was bananas last year but how good the show is still over-rode it. Is that the case in 2021? Ooh I dunno. I don't want my neighbours peeking through the windows and seeing I'm watching a Glinner-associated show. Even though probably none of them have even heard the term TERF.

Also even though I live on the third floor so my windows are pretty hard to see through.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

It's possible that Arthur Mathews has mastered something very few of us manage, namely "just not saying anything, especially not in writing online".

Sonny_Jim

Quote from: Some bile on the SGB["The trans community is one of the most discriminated against in the UK" is] the UK equivalent to the "thoughts and prayers" cathechism recited by American politicians after every mass shooting.
No it fucking isn't, you twat.

It's such a fucking nonsense argument because the whole article is basically 'trans people aren't really vulnerable, they just say that to molest your kids' but this dickhead is trying to equate it to mass shootings, which would imply they are vulnerable.
Which one is it?  It's just another example in a long list of 'things TERFs say to get an emotional reaction when their argument is utter horseshit'.

Also I love how that 'article' shoots itself in the foot right off the bat with:
Because there is no stable definition of what constitutes a 'trans person', there is no standardised method for recording the deaths of trans people across the UK.
They literally admit there's no real way of knowing because of the way it's recorded, torpedoing their argument right off the bat. 

The thing that really boils my piss about it is the author deliberately ignores the US, because of that news story of 44 trans people killed this year alone.  They like to make the comparisons to the US only when it backs up their predisposed conclusion that 'trans are bad and not vulnerable'.  I mean, that's not disingenuous behaviour at all, is it?

Despite all this nonsense, of the five monitored strands that the police record as hate crimes, the transgender category has, every year, and by some distance, seen the least number of 'hate crimes'

"Ok Dougal, we'll try this one more time.  One group is far away, the other group is small"[nb]Ok, maybe that doesn't scan right, but you get the idea[/nb]

YouCantWriteTearsJimmy

Why do these "culture war" blogs always seem like they are from the same playbook/script. I can listen to hours and hours of "culture war"-type youtube videos, podcasts, etc. without ever knowing what the subject is unless they say it, they are so completely interchangeable. I don't want to, but it's fascinating from a media theory perspective. The only thing that stays the same is the hatred. 

phantom_power

Even those figures show that hate crimes against trans people is rising more than most others, and these are the stats they use to back up their arguments! And that isn't taking into account population size and the difficulty in classing a crime against trans people, which they admit to themselves.

Stats: another thing TERFs are fucking shit at

jobotic

Some of you are still alive so stop whining.

I hate these wankers so much.

buttgammon

Given the size of the groups involved, the obvious takeaway from that chart is that hate crimes against trans people are shockingly common and rising. How on earth do these people think it vindicates them in any way? Surely it shows the extremely dangerous consequences of their actions, right?

buttgammon

This dismal tweet hints at the thought that underlies a lot of terfery: the sheer out of touchness of people who are too set in their ways to bother learning how the world has changed, so they become bitter. Also, what about the transgender people who aren't millennials but are in fact much older? It's not as if trans people emerged overnight along with the oat milk latte.

Catalogue Trousers

Quote from: Kankurette on October 15, 2021, 03:56:41 PM
Slight tangent: the John Lewis ad is really, really annoying the GC brigade. You'd think they'd be OK with a boy in a dress but no, it's 'woke'.

ETA: I see people have been talking about this already, my bad. Also, someone needs to tell people that ads aren't real. The kid didn't really trash a house.

Gee, it's almost like John Lewis was banking on exactly such a reaction. No publicity is bad publicity.

Obligatory link to hbomberguy's Woke Brands video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06yy88tLWlg

JaDanketies

Quote from: buttgammon on October 16, 2021, 08:17:28 AM
Given the size of the groups involved, the obvious takeaway from that chart is that hate crimes against trans people are shockingly common and rising. How on earth do these people think it vindicates them in any way? Surely it shows the extremely dangerous consequences of their actions, right?

Their rebuttal to this is that people wouldn't be committing hate crimes against trans people if it wasn't for TRAs politicising the issue and trying to take women's rights through misogyny, and if trans people knew their places. Also that it's men who do crimes and GC feminists are all women, because only women are allowed to be feminists, so hate crimes are definitively nothing to do with them. Look at yourself, you're male and a TRA so it's your fault, nothing to do with my high-profile transphobic movement

jobotic

Quote from: buttgammon on October 16, 2021, 08:24:28 AM

This dismal tweet hints at the thought that underlies a lot of terfery: the sheer out of touchness of people who are too set in their ways to bother learning how the world has changed, so they become bitter. Also, what about the transgender people who aren't millennials but are in fact much older? It's not as if trans people emerged overnight along with the oat milk latte.

I would imagine most young people, trans, non binary, cis, whatever just want to get on with their Iives without weird cunts like that poking their noses in and abusing them. It's not them who are attention seeking.

buttgammon

Quote from: jobotic on October 16, 2021, 09:15:06 AM
I would imagine most young people, trans, non binary, cis, whatever just want to get on with their Iives without weird cunts like that poking their noses in and abusing them. It's not them who are attention seeking.

Indeed, it's treated as a matter of fact for most people, it's simply that my generation and younger people have an expanded range of words and ideas to describe who they are and how they feel. The attention seekers are the screaming bigots, not the people who are simply existing.

sophie.pilbeam

QuoteLet's begin with the clearest indicator of the extent a community is 'marginalised and abused': the murder rate of those within it.

From a review of The Red Pill:

QuoteAs an illustration of male powerlessness, Farrell and Elam point out that men are the only sex drafted to fight wars. Men traditionally take on high-risk jobs in mining, agriculture, forestry and fishing and are 11 times more likely to die on the job than women. They have much higher suicide rates and are three times more likely to be murder victims. Women live five years longer on average than men.

From a blog post on the massively influential MRA Warren Farrell:

QuoteHe wrote one of the first "red pill" books I have read, "The Myth of Male Power." In it he discusses male powerlessness, like male-only draft registration where men are conditioned to view fighting and dying as "glory" and "power." Men die sooner, men commit suicide in far greater numbers, and men are told to earn money that someone else will spend. Men are victims of violent crime twice as often as women and are three times more likely to be murder victims.

God knows there's plenty more where this came from - I have a ton of books both by and about MRA's from my research days - but yes, this is literally an MRA talking point, and the metamorphosis is well and truly complete.

Kankurette

They seem to think all trans people are like the terminally online ones on Tumblr. And older trans people exist, or did Eddie Izzard magically deage?

Also, MRAs forget that it was MEN who made the laws about women not working in certain jobs, not women, and that women who work in traditional male jobs have often had to deal with a lot of sexism and harassment. We can't win. Either we're stealing jobs from men or we have it easy because we don't work down the pit.

king_tubby

The John Lewis ad is responsible for David Amess's murder. Linking to the QT rather than the tweet itself.

https://twitter.com/sadgalaesthetic/status/1449280510262382592

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: king_tubby on October 16, 2021, 09:59:35 AM
The John Lewis ad is responsible for David Amess's murder. Linking to the QT rather than the tweet itself.

https://twitter.com/sadgalaesthetic/status/1449280510262382592

This is the satanic panic all over again.

JamesTC

I guarantee they'll delete it, so here is a screenshot for posterity:

Jerzy Bondov

Here remember when Glinner and J K Rowling thought Stephen King had got peaked and they were so happy and then he said trans women are women and they deleted their praise

Dr Rock

buttgammon

I was looking for some sign it was a parody account but I genuinely think it's someone with mega brainworms. They promise 'well informed discussion and debate' and these days, it's hard to know how seriously that's being suggested. Just yesterday, I heard about an acquaintance who had a run-in with some racist who demanded 'a civilised conversation' but then got all defensive and refused to engage when he tried to have a serious conversation. All credit to my acquaintance, who called the bloke out on his hypocrisy and ended up calling him a cunt.

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on October 16, 2021, 10:36:18 AM
Here remember when Glinner and J K Rowling thought Stephen King had got peaked and they were so happy and then he said trans women are women and they deleted their praise

He's a good egg that King, and a better writer than Rowling, but that's like saying water is wet.

JamesTC

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on October 16, 2021, 10:36:18 AM

It was when we also all joined Glindr for a laugh.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: sophie.pilbeam on October 16, 2021, 09:51:24 AM
From a review of The Red Pill:

From a blog post on the massively influential MRA Warren Farrell:

God knows there's plenty more where this came from - I have a ton of books both by and about MRA's from my research days - but yes, this is literally an MRA talking point, and the metamorphosis is well and truly complete.

The men are the only ones who have to fight in wars one is hilarious

Men are the only ones who get tooled up and trained for war, everyone else has to be on the receiving end of war and its effects, forever