Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,184
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:30:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Comedians You Like Not Making You Laugh

Started by Lisa Jesusandmarychain, October 05, 2021, 07:52:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McChesney Duntz

Quote from: Bennett Brauer on October 07, 2021, 05:24:57 PM
I wonder if the introduction of Kenny Bania, apart from him being a funny foil, was designed to show what a real stand-up hack was like, i.e. not Jerry.

Based on Tom Arnold, I always thought.

Rolf Lundgren

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on October 07, 2021, 01:12:07 PM
Jerry Seinfeld is a highly respected comedian, amongst the public and his peers. But his style has been parodied so much that it has become laughable, so that works against him to some degree, but he also stinks. His material is so cynically designed, he comes at comedy like an alien studying what humans respond to, so he has this rigid structure just designed to hit beats and elicit a Pavlovian response.

I really think Seinfeld is sincere about his interest in the minutiae of everyday life, why he even made a sitcom about it. And he's very clearly only interested in comedy and being a comedian rather than acting, presenting etc. His approach may seem rigid but he knows what works.

chveik

he's a real smug cunt, got to hand it to him

sutin

I don't think anyone could deny that he appears smug, I just don't find it offputting.

sutin

Quote from: Rolf Lundgren on October 08, 2021, 06:09:27 PM
I really think Seinfeld is sincere about his interest in the minutiae of everyday life, why he even made a sitcom about it. And he's very clearly only interested in comedy and being a comedian rather than acting, presenting etc. His approach may seem rigid but he knows what works.

Good post. I think it's absurd to imply that he has no connection to the material when the kind of material he performs both reflects his public persona and sitcom character. If he was performing Sadowitz-style comedy or sutin Hampipe would have a point!

Thosworth

No idea why, but Will Ferrell - Seems like the nicest, warmest friendliest person, but nothing he has ever said or done has made me so much as smile.

Fr.Bigley

Richard Pryor has done nothing to make me laugh lately.

dead-ced-dead

Eddie Izzard does that thing that if a joke bombs she does the whole writing into a notepad "Don't do that gag. Lost everyone."

It's a good way to turn things around.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: QDRPHNC on October 06, 2021, 05:12:09 PM
I remember loving Sean's Show when I was a teenager

Snap. Makes me think it was aimed at teenagers and young adults, which fits with Channel 4 at the time.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: sutin on October 09, 2021, 10:48:13 AM
I don't think anyone could deny that he appears smug, I just don't find it offputting.

Has anyone seen Bob Kelly's behind the scenes Seinfeld story? I know it's Opie and Anthony but it gives a nice little insight into getting the wrong end of the stick with Jerry and the embarrassment that ensues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqbF8unCgo8

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Thosworth on October 09, 2021, 02:17:55 PM
No idea why, but Will Ferrell - Seems like the nicest, warmest friendliest person, but nothing he has ever said or done has made me so much as smile.

He did a great By The Way podcast with Jeff Garlin.

Poobum

Kate Micucci - Really charming and likeable (looks exactly like my ex, same height too), but I absolutely loath her music and the stupid ukulele.

wrec

I read Seinfeld's book Is This Anything? which is basically a chronological compilation of his standup through the years. Seeing the routines laid out on paper, you're missing the essential aspect of the delivery, but it does reveal the craft and meticulous wording a lot more. His subject matter has always revelled in frivolous stuff but building a great iconoclastic sitcom around that is why he became a comedy behemoth. It's notable that, while you can say the craft is still there, his return-to-stand up material is mostly "my wife" stuff, as that's the only relatable aspect of his multimillionaire life. Larry David got around that by portraying himself as someone whose great wealth hasn't eroded a propensity for petty nitpicking etc (and has relatively regular schmoes writing with him). Chappelle now seems so out of touch that his only subject is being defensive and doubling down on whatever he gets criticism for. To revert to another Metallica analogy - the first four albums are driven by a raging, hungry "us against the world" energy, later on they're rich privileged dads struggling to find something to feel defiant or fired up about.

I was at the Seinfeld Dublin O2 show too and while it was a good comic performance, I found it a really alienating experience being in that environment and having to watch him on a giant screen rather than the tiny distant figure onstage. Glad to get to see him but wouldn't be into seeing comedy in that size if venue again.

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: wrec on October 09, 2021, 04:00:46 PM
To revert to another Metallica analogy - the first four albums are driven by a raging, hungry "us against the world" energy, later on they're rich privileged dads struggling to find something to feel defiant or fired up about.

Brilliant, I love this. Me and a friend of mine seem to resort to Metallica as an analogy engine about once a week or so.

sutin

Quote from: wrec on October 09, 2021, 04:00:46 PM
I was at the Seinfeld Dublin O2 show too and while it was a good comic performance, I found it a really alienating experience being in that environment and having to watch him on a giant screen rather than the tiny distant figure onstage. Glad to get to see him but wouldn't be into seeing comedy in that size if venue again.

Ah, I was very close so I didn't have that problem. Didn't even remember they had screens.

Oh, Nobody

Quote from: McChesney Duntz on October 08, 2021, 04:33:00 PM
Based on Tom Arnold, I always thought.

Me and a friend were convinced he was based on Tom Kenny, I forget if there was any actual evidence to support that though. Possibly related to Jerry hating Bobcat Goldthwait.

BeardFaceMan

Tom Kenny and Bobcat Goldthwaite have known each other since they were kids, I think they used to perform together too, Kenny was known as Tomcat. I'm sure there was something about that in the Mr Show book.