Author Topic: The girl with the vaginal smearing  (Read 4453 times)

TrenterPercenter

• Rock the CABLADs
Re: The girl with the vaginal smearing
« Reply #210 on: October 11, 2021, 10:07:59 PM »
I don't think that's a "fact" actually.

and you are entitled to your opinion.  Enjoy it.

Midas

• 𝔇𝔬𝔫'𝔱 𝔯𝔢𝔞𝔡 𝔱𝔥𝔦𝔰 𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔱𝔢𝔫𝔠𝔢.
« Reply #211 on: October 11, 2021, 10:10:04 PM »
I just wish you wouldn't paint with such broad strokes :))

« Reply #212 on: October 11, 2021, 10:29:14 PM »

Is it?

"I sculpt the air – what does scent artist Anicka Yi have in store for Tate’s Turbine Hall?"
"No"

It's got 44 upvotes, so maybe I'm missing something.

TrenterPercenter

• Rock the CABLADs
« Reply #213 on: October 11, 2021, 10:29:26 PM »
I just wish you wouldn't paint with such broad strokes :))

I suppose you meet a few self indulgent artists its becomes easel to paint them all with the same brush.

PS - even the self indulgent ones I know are still ace in lots of ways

Midas

« Reply #214 on: October 11, 2021, 10:37:56 PM »
Conceptual "High" Art = Organised Crime
Lower Echelons of Art = Crime
Outsider Art = Diminished Responsibility

falafel

• Yes, blue.
« Reply #215 on: October 11, 2021, 10:51:21 PM »

Is it?

"I sculpt the air – what does scent artist Anicka Yi have in store for Tate’s Turbine Hall?"
"No"

It's got 44 upvotes, so maybe I'm missing something.

Yeah, they changed the headline. When the article first went up it was asking, will she make the Turbine Hall smell like a vagina? I mean, strictly speaking, the answer could have been yes, but it turns out it's more like 'not especially'.

TrenterPercenter

• Rock the CABLADs
« Reply #216 on: October 11, 2021, 10:54:59 PM »
Yeah they changed the article title because people were complaining (of the headline, not the smell).

Tony Tony Tony

• The Man, the Myth, the Bellend
« Reply #217 on: October 12, 2021, 09:52:39 AM »
The installation gets a fairly lukewarm review in the Gruaniad...

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2021/oct/11/anicka-yi-tate-modern-turbine-hall-london-review

However as I shall be in that London for an appointment on Monday (see Dentistry thread) with the morning free I am popping in to see the pods for myself.

Should they smell of the vagina of anyone I know I will report back.

Coincidentally my journey through St Pancras will take me past several pieces of public art, one of these being a Tracy Emin...

Tracey Emin was inspired by friends and family greeting each other at the train station, which sees trains depart and arrive London to Europe. The neon sign is created using her handwriting and is 20 meters long.

So it seems probabale the input Emin had into this, apart from the idea, was to write six words as the design. I doubt she moulded the tubes, filled them with gas etc.

Does that matter or make her a grifter? I'm not really sure, all I know is the sign makes me happy every time I walk under it, mind you I also get joy from rubbing the nose of the dog at the bottom of the frieze on the statue nearby...

I also get immense pleasure from patting John Betjeman's belly as I pass...

So that's the thing about Art, in whatever form, if it gives pleasure surely it has some merit, and the artist deserves reward?

« Reply #218 on: October 12, 2021, 11:19:57 AM »
Yeah, they changed the headline.

Yeah they changed the article title because people were complaining (of the headline, not the smell).

Aaaagh, right. That makes sense. Thank you! My flimsy grip on reality has been restored.

TrenterPercenter

• Rock the CABLADs
« Reply #219 on: October 12, 2021, 11:30:55 AM »
So that's the thing about Art, in whatever form, if it gives pleasure surely it has some merit, and the artist deserves reward?

Absolutely; I don't agree at all with the idea that art is "someone wot can paint and draw good"; of course there is more to it than that one friend artist of mine did a exhibition on underground car parks; just pictures of car parks, underground, but the sense of it all was that quite empty darkness that actually around us all the time but forgotten and then how that feeling ports to notions of loneliness.  Art has lots of overlaps with psychology it works in exactly the same area.

I am absolutely fascinated by recall of qualia such as this; not thoughts on memories in words or pictures but emotional sensation provoking qualia that art can restore and real for us.  I always have this feeling about being very young child and the experience of sodium lighting outside my window; as I grew up I had this exact same feeling when I first watched Akira; completely different medium but the feelings came back to me of this initial formative experience almost seeming that they predicted this then response to the neon artistry in Akira.  This is very common but fascinating; where does it live in your mind?

Buelligan

• STOP being afraid
« Reply #220 on: October 12, 2021, 11:35:34 AM »
Quite far from grifting, if I was forced to guess.

Tony Tony Tony

« Reply #221 on: October 12, 2021, 12:16:22 PM »
I am absolutely fascinated by recall of qualia such as this; not thoughts on memories in words or pictures but emotional sensation provoking qualia that art can restore and real for us.  I always have this feeling about being very young child and the experience of sodium lighting outside my window; as I grew up I had this exact same feeling when I first watched Akira; completely different medium but the feelings came back to me of this initial formative experience almost seeming that they predicted this then response to the neon artistry in Akira.  This is very common but fascinating; where does it live in your mind?

Sounds akin to a Proustian rush triggered by sight rather than smell.

I watched Akira with my Anime obsessed Son and was slightly disappointed that when I visited Hong Kong, not long after, that it wasn’t the neon lit metropolis I had hoped for.

Reckon you have quite neatly summed up one of the major functions of Art (capital A) in that it should provoke a reaction be it physical, emotional or something less tangible like a long forgotten feeling bubbling to the surface again from the depths of childhood.

« Reply #222 on: October 12, 2021, 12:21:40 PM »
I watched Akira with my Anime obsessed Son and was slightly disappointed that when I visited Hong Kong, not long after, that it wasn’t the neon lit metropolis I had hoped for.
It's set in an entirely different country, you big racist.

Tony Tony Tony

« Reply #223 on: October 12, 2021, 12:27:59 PM »
It's set in an entirely different country, you big racist.

C’mon we all know those big Far East cities look the same. I can’t tell the difference.

« Reply #224 on: October 12, 2021, 12:28:44 PM »
I can't make it to London for this, is there anywhere local that I can go to smell a fanny?

Midas

« Reply #225 on: October 12, 2021, 12:30:49 PM »
So it seems probabale the input Emin had into this, apart from the idea, was to write six words as the design. I doubt she moulded the tubes, filled them with gas etc.

Does that matter or make her a grifter?

If you view the gaudy neon lights in isolation without considering who made it or reflecting on the money the artist earned from it and similar works and where that money came from then I can see how it might have a certain kitsch appeal.

I don't think any meaningful expensive piece of art should be separated from the conditions it was created under. The work itself has no intrinsic value - appraisers determine value based on providence and who made the piece.

...so who made I want my time with you?
Emin; a self-aggrandizing totem with fellowship at the royal academy, a self-proclaimed "outsider artist" because she votes fucking tory, a royalist, tax-evading establishment hack.

Don't be swept along by capitalist grifters!

gilbertharding

• Lipsmackin' thirstquenchin' acetastin' motivatin'
« Reply #226 on: October 12, 2021, 12:32:58 PM »

Proustian rushes are triggered by cake, of course...

TrenterPercenter

• Rock the CABLADs
« Reply #227 on: October 12, 2021, 12:42:49 PM »

Yes involuntary memory for sure but what I think is interesting is how and why this occurs and that often there appears to be plurality in these experiences; for example first memories of being by the sea often evoke similar qualia despite remember "us all being individuals and my subjectivity being the most important thing!!!".  This is nothing mystical of course it's because we all work largely with the same emotional palette (again a key notion of psychology that transfers well to art).  Colour and the psychology of colour is particularly interesting here.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 12:57:13 PM by TrenterPercenter »

Tony Tony Tony

« Reply #228 on: October 12, 2021, 04:09:18 PM »
If you view the gaudy neon lights in isolation without considering who made it or reflecting on the money the artist earned from it and similar works and where that money came from then I can see how it might have a certain kitsch appeal.

I don't think any meaningful expensive piece of art should be separated from the conditions it was created under. The work itself has no intrinsic value - appraisers determine value based on providence and who made the piece.

...so who made I want my time with you?
Emin; a self-aggrandizing totem with fellowship at the royal academy, a self-proclaimed "outsider artist" because she votes fucking tory, a royalist, tax-evading establishment hack.

Don't be swept along by capitalist grifters!

Completely agree that any expensivemeaningful piece of art shouldn’t be distanced from the conditions in which it was created and moreover by who. After all that’s what pushes intrinsically worthless pieces up to stratospheric levels, Emin’s bed being a case in point. Anything is only worth what somebody is prepared to shell out for it.

As for Emin herself you could argue that she deserves her fame and fortune having come from relatively humble beginnings, suffered abuse as a youngster and prejudice due to her traveller heritage yet still manages to make art for which folks (even if deluded) shell out small fortunes to own.

I guess the point I an trying to make, albeit clumsily, is each to their own. I can enjoy the ethereal beauty of a Pre-Raphaelite Rossetti but a painting of three slightly different colours by Mark Rothko leaves me cold.

Now let’s get back to the real business of the thread, whiffy fannies, smelly cocks and their relevance to the patriarchy.

Mister Six

• Golden Member
  • Feeling like Lemon Ken
« Reply #229 on: October 12, 2021, 07:24:59 PM »
riveting sounds shit

Really? I think it sounds riveting.

Johnny Yesno

• Perfume of a critic's burning flesh
« Reply #230 on: October 13, 2021, 06:36:12 PM »
Really? I think it sounds riveting.