Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 12:01:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Sci-fi and fantasy for people who don't like sci-fi and fantasy [split topic]

Started by sutin, October 05, 2021, 12:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goldentony

sutin fuck all these off and watch Star Crash, if you don't like Star Crash go and buy Inspector Morse Complete Collection

Mr Trumpet

If OP likes Linklater then I recommend his adaptation of A Scanner Darkly. Rotoscoped stoners losing their minds in the near future.

sutin

Quote from: Mr Trumpet on October 06, 2021, 05:48:40 PM
If OP likes Linklater then I recommend his adaptation of A Scanner Darkly. Rotoscoped stoners losing their minds in the near future.

Not a favourite but I do like that movie.

mothman

Quote from: Mister Six on October 06, 2021, 05:45:42 PM
The way I view it (and how it was described in uni), fantasy is anything that isn't possible in our world. Sci-fi is a subgenre of fantasy focused on technological issues.

The timequake itself is a fantastical event - it doesn't matter whether it was caused by a wizard's spell or just some strange, inexplicable quirk of the universe. It's the subject of a fantasy book.

(But all of this is just a load of made up gubbins, really, as is any literary division.)

Exactly,,remember Clarke's Law - "Sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

chveik

speculative fiction is good enough for me when you need to categorize borderline cases like the leftovers or some ballard stories

Icehaven

I wouldn't say I was a sci-fi fan at all but a lot of films/stories etc. I like fall squarely into the categories discussed above, speculative, alternate reality type stuff basically set in the world as we know it but with some concept, however the thing that can take me out of it a bit is when there's some amazing technology that the story revolves around but that's the only thing that's different. For e.g. in the TV series Humans robots had got to the point where they were not only indistinguishable from real human beings but were actually gaining sentience, however they were the only thing different to our reality, when really in a world where science and technology had developed to the point where that was possible there'd be way more applications for it in use and the world would be a very different place. I know that wasn't what the story was about but it still didn't make sense, like just imagining what it'd be like if the Victorians had iphones but literally nothing else from out of their own time.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: chveik on October 06, 2021, 11:50:58 PM
speculative fiction is good enough for me when you need to categorize borderline cases

Yep, I like that.