Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:23:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Songs you wish Elvis had recorded

Started by kalowski, October 06, 2021, 09:59:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daf

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on October 07, 2021, 05:01:27 PM
He'd end up doing a duet with fucking Shaky, wouldn't he?

The Travelling Welshberries : Enfys* Preseli, Shaky, Dave Edmunds, Mike Peters, Burke Shelley from Budgie & Max Boyce

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
* (Rainbow)

Video Game Fan 2000

evilcommiedictator

Detachable Penis by King Missile
Amerikka by Rammstein

dr beat

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on October 07, 2021, 05:01:27 PM
He'd end up doing a duet with fucking Shaky, wouldn't he?

Yeah and it would be ace whatever it would be.  What about Somethings Gotten Hold of my Heart? This is a whole new thread in itself!

And Happy Birthday BoBB!

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: dr beat on October 07, 2021, 10:37:55 PM
Yeah and it would be ace whatever it would be.  What about Somethings Gotten Hold of my Heart? This is a whole new thread in itself!

And Happy Birthday BoBB!

HELL YEAH!!

Thanks, dr b.

Neomod

I'd like to think he would do a cover of this for shits and giggles.

The Colourblind James Experience Considering a Move to Memphis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udctidi7GKI

Happy Birthday BoBB!

This alternative history thing...
On our timeline, if Elvis had lived he would definitely have wanted to muscle in on Bob Dylan's early 80s Christian phase, sensing Dylan was moving into what Elvis might have considered his territory. Maybe some duets, maybe Elvis singing the title track to Slow Train Coming.

BUT it's possible that Dylan's move into somewhat Elvis-in-Vegas big band and backing singers territory on 78's Street Legal and (much moreso  on the tour that followed, see 79's Live at Budokan), which was what lead to his religious conversion, was in someway inspired by reflecting on Elvis' death, and so wouldn't have happened if Elvis hadn't died.

In any case, on the Brian Wilson discovers therapy timeline, Dylan follows Blonde on Blonde not with the oblique and inscrutable John Wesley Harding,  but with a series of morose confessional records, like 10 Blood on the Tracks in a row, so the 70s Dylan as we know it never happens.

Norton Canes

A Little Respect

Or Love Will Tear Us Apart

SteveDave

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on October 07, 2021, 01:31:07 PM
That's such a great thread, Tikwid. I love the butterfly effect of The Monkees making, not Head, but an elaborate psychedelic multi-media project. A world without Head (stop it) is unthinkable, but this hypothetical album would've stood proudly (again, stop it) against the very best of '68.

The only changes I'd make to that track-listing are these: on side one, put Circle Sky (live version) after Porpoise Song. On side two, Auntie's Municipal Court should be followed by Zor and Zam (get rid of Prithee) then the Porpoise Song reprise. And right there you've got yourselves a classic album.

I spend far too much time thinking about this sort of thing.

That album NEEDS "Lady's Baby" which, despite having more studio time devoted to it than "Good Vibrations" still never got released during their lifetime as a band (the first time round). I think it's an amazing song.

poodlefaker

Never Understand by the jesus and Mary Chain. He'd love the uh-huh-hah bits.

Quote from: Astronaut Omens on October 08, 2021, 08:11:51 AM
Happy Birthday BoBB!

Thank you!

Quote from: Astronaut Omens on October 08, 2021, 08:11:51 AM
This alternative history thing...
On our timeline, if Elvis had lived he would definitely have wanted to muscle in on Bob Dylan's early 80s Christian phase, sensing Dylan was moving into what Elvis might have considered his territory. Maybe some duets, maybe Elvis singing the title track to Slow Train Coming.

There would definitely be more gospel albums from Elvis, and he almost certainly would've covered more Dylan songs. An entire album maybe? A duet sounds plausible.

Quote from: SteveDave on October 08, 2021, 09:46:55 AM
That album NEEDS "Lady's Baby" which, despite having more studio time devoted to it than "Good Vibrations" still never got released during their lifetime as a band (the first time round). I think it's an amazing song.

It's great, I agree, but I still don't quite understand how a fairly straightforward folk rock song took so long to get right.

https://www.monkeeslivealmanac.com/blog/ladys-baby

That account doesn't fully explain why either, although it does suggest that, basically, Tork was so stoned at the time he happily spent hours and hours doing endless retakes of a simple tune (while recording the gurgles and coos of a baby). That must've been mind-numbing for everyone else. And then, after spending all that time and money, they didn't even release the bloody thing. The Monkees saga is uniquely strange and fascinating.

Mr Farenheit

Common People, somewhat in the style of Polk Salad Annie

kalowski

I can imagine Dylan's Pressing On sung by Elvis.

ProvanFan

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on October 06, 2021, 10:00:53 PM
Chop suey
Quote from: ProvanFan on October 07, 2021, 02:32:48 AM
Thought this was a Maid Marian and her Merry Men reference but it's probably System of a Down isn't it

Here's why I thought this btw https://youtu.be/flnlTXbbfOs?t=472

Fr.Bigley

Isn't there an Elvis impersonator that does Nirvana covers? Has a full live show, quite popular as I recall.

batwings

Depeche Mode - Personal Jesus
Erasure - Give a little respect

dissolute ocelot

Maybe it's too much Top of the Pops, but I'd love an early 90s rave Elvis. N-Trance's Set You Free maybe.

Bernice

Brundle-Fly

Rehab - Amy Winehouse. Tears Dry On Their Own would be lovely to hear by The King too.

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on October 11, 2021, 06:12:41 PM
Rehab - Amy Winehouse

Another one that's just so easy to hear in his voice.

kalowski

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on October 11, 2021, 06:12:41 PM
Rehab - Amy Winehouse.
"Man, no way I'm doin' that song, man, I don't believe in singin' about drugs." *Snaffles down a load of speed*

SpiderChrist

dissolute ocelot