Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:32:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Amityville Scarecrow - a partial journey of pain

Started by Rev+, October 07, 2021, 12:32:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rev+

I've done half an hour of this, someone has to take over.

We begin on the legendary Amityville plot, the house having burned down, with a couple of American late-twenties teenagers shagging in a caravan and getting killed by a scarecrow.  We then switch to the inheritors of the estate, an American lady with an English husband.  Fair enough, but then her daughters show up with their English accents, cars pull up with UK licence plates, and it becomes very apparent that this was probably filmed in Lewisham or somewhere similar.  There's a bit of family intrigue with an Irish-American sister.  Irish-American in that the actress forgets she's supposed to be doing an American accent every other line.

Free if you have Prime.  Tell me how it ends.

Shit Good Nose

Christ, is the series STILL going?!?!?!?!

I like the first one - I think it's a genuinely good film and effective (like Oliver Stone's JFK, though, it should be treated purely as fiction) - and the second one is pretty grim and has its moments, but after that it just gets more and more low rent and embarrassing.  I've "only" seen up to and including the remake with Ryan Reynolds.

Famous Mortimer

Is it still a series? A quick check of IMDB reveals at least 39 movies with "Amityville" in the title, presumably because as it's a place name they couldn't copyright it, so every cheapo horror company has their own Amityville movie (doesn't hurt that you can just do it in a house, nice and cheap).

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on October 07, 2021, 04:05:37 PM
Is it still a series? A quick check of IMDB reveals at least 39 movies with "Amityville" in the title, presumably because as it's a place name they couldn't copyright it, so every cheapo horror company has their own Amityville movie (doesn't hurt that you can just do it in a house, nice and cheap).

I've not seen any of the ones from 2011 onwards but I have read up on them as I've seen them released into the wild.  I wasn't aware of this Scarecrow one (in fact, on checking, I wasn't aware that FOUR of the cunts were made and released last year and two this year [cheap and easy lockdown productions I guess], but they all have something connecting them or referencing them, even if it's very loose and minimal (one of them features nothing more than a possessed desk lamp that was in the house of the first three, others just get by on a mere reference which then kicks off similar haunting events that otherwise have no direct link to the original), but, as far as I know, the only ones directly relating to each other and the actual original (hoaxed) event are the first three (and the remake I guess, but I'm fairly sure that is a completely stand-alone film which is literally just a "more accurate" adaptation of the original book).  The Awakening (which I think is the only other one that is supposed to be "okay") even goes as far as having the first three films appear as pure fiction before following its own version of ghostly goings on in the DeFeo house.