Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 04:10:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Predicting the next big fashion resurgence

Started by The Mollusk, October 07, 2021, 03:56:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dr beat

Quote from: imitationleather on October 07, 2021, 05:20:15 PM

Me, patiently waiting for the teddy boy to rise once again.

Ray Reardon is looking well.

Paul Calf

gilbertharding

Quote from: The Mollusk on October 07, 2021, 05:57:14 PM
Still wearing them though aren't you, you NARC

Pah. Ane fule kno all this talk of 'what's in and what's not' is so last century. No one really cares. It's all up for grabs. Style it out, baby.

touchingcloth

Have those powered hairpieces with big old sailing ships in them come back round yet?

thenoise

The post apocalyptic look. But, adopted ironically, by the minority of people who are completely unaffected by the apocalypse (or, even, profited handsomely by it).

flotemysost

I reckon the 00s revival started a while ago, certainly there are loads of social media and Depop accounts celebrating "Y2K energy" and reposting photos of Paris Hilton and Lindsay Lohan in pubis-grazing rhinestone-trimmed jeans and velour flat caps.

Someone told me yesterday that there was a TikTok trend recently (i'm not on it) full of teenagers lamenting the fact they weren't old enough to appreciate 2014. Was there anything notable about 2014 fashion? As far as I remember it was just high street/online landfill.

Vitamin C

Adult onesies were big circa 2014, and seem to be again now, so the, er, TikTokers might be "on point" there.

The Mollusk

A couple of the images in the OP were actually from Depop but I couldn't tell if it was just people selling off old shite. I should have known better that it would be full of chancers fobbing everything off as next fashion!

Another one I thought of recently was appropriating work gear/uniforms like black and white check chefs trousers with fake sauce stains or tracky bottoms covered in paint, or the best one, scrubs with fake blood stains. Haha, hard working stiffs! Oh to be like them but never actually do any of the work.

Video Game Fan 2000

Ripped jeans are already a thing with teens. Saw some this very morn when I was hauling my decripit husk down the supermarket.

Video Game Fan 2000

2011 style onesies.

One thing that's due back is distinct subcultures. Normcores stinkin corpse is long buried. Get the lads round and get stratified, sartorially.

flotemysost

^ There seems to be a fair bit of genuine nostalgia (or if they weren't old enough to remember it, then hankering after) the early 00s MySpace emo look. I might be overanalysing, but as a scene associated at the time with emotional vulnerability and bucking traditional gender norms, I can see the appeal for a generation who largely seem to be more open and informed about mental health and sexuality than my era of teenagers.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: flotemysost on October 07, 2021, 08:21:05 PM
^ There seems to be a fair bit of genuine nostalgia (or if they weren't old enough to remember it, then hankering after) the early 00s MySpace emo look. I might be overanalysing, but as a scene associated at the time with emotional vulnerability and bucking traditional gender norms, I can see the appeal for a generation who largely seem to be more open and informed about mental health and sexuality than my era of teenagers.

Well then you'd expect them to adopt austere asexual boiler suits like Crass but they haven't got the courage to reject what society expects of them to that extent. Oh I want to make a statement but not so much that I won't get a shag.

chveik

jobotic

Why would you wear skinny, relaxed or regular jeans when you could wear SLIM FIT?

All my jeans and trousers are SLIM FIT, although some of them do seem to have gone a bit skinny.

All Surrogate

The Mollusk

Mac Demarco brought dungarees back into fashion about 5-10 years ago, pops!

dissolute ocelot

I was at a gig with the young people a couple of weeks ago, and all the girls were wearing brightly coloured, patterned flared or baggy trousers. It was like 1967 or something. The young guys were wearing t-shirts and tapered or straight-cut jeans, just like their dads probably. I'm increasingly turning into a goth as I grow older, so I care not for fashion, as long as it's black (although to be honest, I've always been in favour of tight black jeans).

non capisco

I bought twelve of the same blue polo shirt the other month so I never have to choose what to wear any more, like Jeff Goldblum at the start of 'The Fly' or Mr. Bean. Can't even be arsed with an interesting mid-life crisis.

Video Game Fan 2000

A few years ago I was incredibly charmed by the fact some of the groups of street dancers you see around were doing it in a modern version of full 80s b boy gear. Bucket hats, tracksuits, head bands, chains, the works.

Never saw much of a revival of that otherwise, unless Joey Badass first release counts, so it might have just been one particular group from a local school I was seeing around.

thenoise

thenoise

After the success of adult romper suits, perhaps it's time adults adopted some other fashion choices of the under twos. I nominate those funny little sailor suits with matching caps.

touchingcloth

I wear absolutely fucking nothing these days, and if anyone has a problem with that then it's their problem, alright?

GoblinAhFuckScary

i mean honestly i think we're on the brink of an american apparel/terry richardson type revival. we've just passed the nadir of disco pants being a big faux pas so i expect them to gain traction in the coming years etc etc

nathan barley/noughties vice mag type shit looming

also this

Buelligan

Quote from: The Mollusk on October 07, 2021, 09:22:42 PM
Mac Demarco brought dungarees back into fashion about 5-10 years ago, pops!

My neighbour's been wearing his since about 1956.  Wears a greasy body corset thing under - he's pushing eighty with a truly hateful personality.  Also, a bag or something on the head. 

Pink Gregory

Quote from: touchingcloth on October 08, 2021, 08:47:30 AM
I wear absolutely fucking nothing these days, and if anyone has a problem with that then it's their problem, alright?

the birthday suit went out with stonewashed jeans, grandaaaaaaaaaaaaad

Paul Calf

Quote from: touchingcloth on October 08, 2021, 08:47:30 AM

This. This is the difference between style and fashion. You can buy fashion but you can't make it drink.

petril

Quote from: poodlefaker on October 07, 2021, 05:19:36 PM
For years I've been predicting that second-hand t-shirts that people had made for stag/hen parties will become hipsterwear, but it hasn't happened yet

faux stag/hen/lads on tour/wahey t-shirts. £58.99

fictional names, dates, weddings and implications the marriage fails, all in faux-distressed print on a generic style crew neck