Author Topic: Metroid Dread (and hopefully some general Metroid chat?)  (Read 1750 times)

Re: Metroid Dread (and hopefully some general Metroid chat?)
« Reply #60 on: October 13, 2021, 06:54:53 PM »
It is surprisingly Smash Bros-like in some ways.

Kelvin

• The best bits of a pantomime horse
  • Silver Member
  • With skin the colour of a freshly peeled apple
    • My Podcast (It's funny!)
« Reply #61 on: October 13, 2021, 06:56:11 PM »
It is surprisingly Smash Bros-like in some ways.

In what way?

« Reply #62 on: October 13, 2021, 06:58:43 PM »
Samus's moveset is more complex and technical, and feels like it involves more buttons. Greater emphasis on melee combat. The double jump and the air dash move feel like Smash Bros' two "save" moves. The 2D control in 3D space. The levels with doors and hallways going off into the background (can't I walk down that long carpeted hallway instead of going back into the room with the killer robot?) Some enemy encounters. I've just one the boss fight against the Chozo chap
 - fighting someone your own size darting around the level - and it felt and looked like Smash Bros.

« Reply #63 on: October 13, 2021, 10:22:38 PM »
I've never really played a Metroid game before - I always thought it looked too serious and futuristic for the types of Nintendo game I like. However, I decided I'd give Super Metroid a go having noticed it's on the Switch's Snes library and am totally addicted. It's way better using the snes controller than the joycons as the 'select' button that has to be used frequently is much more accessible. It sounds as though the Dread concept is very similar so I'll be definitely getting that. Maybe I'll work up to it with Fusion next. I bought Metroid Prime on Wii U a while ago but never got on with the controls. 

« Reply #64 on: October 13, 2021, 11:16:34 PM »
If you like super Metroid you’ll like the GBA ones for sure. They’re fabulous .

« Reply #65 on: October 14, 2021, 06:20:02 AM »
Dread is the best feeling Metroid game by far imo, and one of the best feeling metroidvanias, right up there with an Ori now for me, even though it's obviously going for something very different. It's awesome to play something that nails the labyrinthian exploration (Labyrinthine?) and hunting for secrets etc with a fully modernized moveset and some new additions to the equipment roster.

I would agree it's pretty action packed. Most of the time mobs aren't a truly dangerous hazard, but it's more death by a thousand meaty cuts as they can hit pretty hard and it's easy to lose track of your health, lose more then you gain and find yourself taken out by a rogue shot/attack. This might happen less as I get more energy tanks. Plus the Emmi sections where you can throw all that out of the window because getting caught is essentially death (I've pulled off the parry a few times, but easily under 10%).

This might be the most addicted to a game I've felt this year, the pull to progress to juuuust one more room/section is palpable.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 07:27:27 AM by brat-sampson »

« Reply #66 on: October 14, 2021, 12:06:34 PM »
Yeah I'm hooked. Loadsa fun.

« Reply #67 on: October 14, 2021, 04:55:36 PM »
Dread handles beautifully. However this Metroid Prime mouse and keyboard emulator mod thing is just absolute sex. So, so good.

Kelvin

• The best bits of a pantomime horse
  • Silver Member
  • With skin the colour of a freshly peeled apple
    • My Podcast (It's funny!)
« Reply #68 on: Yesterday at 11:01:56 PM »
Got my arse absolutely handed to me by (what I assume is) the final boss, just dying over and over again. I've had to turn back to hunt for power ups - especially missiles - so I can try again. Absolute bastard.

« Reply #69 on: Yesterday at 11:04:15 PM »
I just did a bit in Dread that I can't decide if it's world-class game design or sloppy shit, and I'm not sure it's interesting enough to write about so I'll spoiler it (also it is sort of spoilery I guess and I'm trying to avoid spoilers myself)

I progressed to an area with an EMMI that's very clearly using the Speed Booster power from previous games, so passing that I made it to an area where my progress was blocked by a large turbine blowing me back, so I thought, right, need that Speed Booster. Went back to the area with the EMMI and got frustrated that I couldn't find a way to progress. In the end, turned out that the solution was to go to the fan area and just... shoot the floor. I genuinely can't tell if that's a great use of misdirection or simply thoughtless, irritating and badly signposted.

I think this one's on you, it's a whole new area, so sending you there when progress could be impossible would be insanely poor game design these days, there's a visible corridor beneath you, and the shootable floor has a light focused on it and a different texture.

I'm a lot further through now, and have been watching some others work through the opening sections. It's genuinely some of the best level/map design I've ever seen, it's like you're driving around a mile-long dropped noodle in the fog, branches going off everywhere, often inaccessible, but always guided by the designer so that if you head for the nearest thing, you'll get where you want to be.  The option to highlight certain features on the map is a very good idea, if you ever go off-piste to head back for secrets etc (which you also get ample opportunity to do) chances are finding the series of things your latest toy allows you to do will get you back on track.

I also appreciate that at least a few of the tools do amount to more than just 'This is a BLUE door, so you must have the BLUE beam to proceed', at least thematically, e.g. the phantom cloak hiding from sensor doors or the flash shift getting you over pressure plates, though having said that, there is also a lot of that too, especially in the blocks, which of course can usually only be destroyed by a particular *kind* of explosion. I like Metroid games, and I get why it is what it is, and it also allows for good puzzle design etc. Honestly, don't quote me, it's totally fine. I just *also* like it when they actually make an effort to *not* do that.

« Reply #70 on: Today at 12:22:00 PM »
Got my arse absolutely handed to me by (what I assume is) the final boss, just dying over and over again. I've had to turn back to hunt for power ups - especially missiles - so I can try again. Absolute bastard.

Also on the last boss now having played another hour this morning. I've enjoyed it for the most part. I think the spin jumping is a bit fiddly and some other stuff like storing the speed charge is a bit awkward but generally it feels and plays nicely. I think the bosses are a bit too reliant on learning patterns you can't predict but I didn't mind that in Cuphead or Souls stuff so I'm happy enough chipping away. Might not have time to do the last boss for a while, seems like a shitload of annoying patterns and instant reflex counters but I'll do it at some point.

The game has definitely become less interesting over the last few hours, just waiting for it to be over now. First four hours, I'd say a solid 8. Last four hours, probably a 5.

I'd say MH Rise is more enjoyable for me this year on Switch and Returnal annihilates it in every way.

Tags: