Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,182
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:00:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Haggling

Started by Brian Freeze, October 08, 2021, 06:08:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

checkoutgirl

Quote from: thenoise on October 08, 2021, 01:59:46 PM
Worked in a cafe and always told hecklers to fuck off

Why were you heckled in a cafe, are you a comedian? If you meant haggler, who haggles in a fucking cafe?

How much for the sausage, beans and toast?

Sausage, beans and toast, that's £2.50.

I'll give you £2.00.

Fuck off.

studpuppet

My dad was an antique dealer, so very much the haggler. Once tried to haggle down the price of a new toaster in John Lewis with the rest of his family cringing behind him.

My worst personal experience was buying my first ghetto blaster (more of a portable cassette/radio but you get the drift). I'd spent ages doing my window shopping, had settled on a Sony one and was taking him up to Tottenham Court Road in London (then the mecca for electronic goods), to make my final decision, check out a few soft-eject cassette mechanisms Partridge-style, maybe persuade him into buy us some fast food, and come home with the goods.

I thought involving him with the process and doing the price comparisons between shops would be right up his street. Not a bit of it. As we drove through Cockfosters to get the tube, he spotted an electrical goods shop with a Sony dealer sign. After we parked up, he took me into the shop, and told me to point out which one I was after. He then proceeded to get the bloke behind the counter to sell him it at a discount, as we could get it cheaper up in town, but he'd be doing my dad a favour, saving shoe leather and the expense of tube tickets, not to mention a whole day in town with his son. That achieved, he then took my to my nan nearby for a cup of tea. Day ruined.

Quote from: icehaven on October 08, 2021, 01:55:04 PM
And estate agents. I've never bought a house myself but from watching a few property tv shows I believe it's the norm/expected to haggle over the price.

In the recent boom, people have been bidding beyond the asking price to secure a property so it can work both ways.

QDRPHNC

My dad is a world class haggler. He haggled on my behalf when I bought new wedding bands for my wife and me. Ended up getting two for the price of one. Man in the jewellers looked like he was going to cry.

shiftwork2

And now you're divorced?

Spode

Quote from: QDRPHNC on October 08, 2021, 07:01:21 PM
My dad is a world class haggler. He haggled on my behalf when I bought new wedding bands for my wife and me. Ended up getting two for the price of one. Man in the jewellers looked like he was going to cry.

Hearing he calls himself Marvellous Marvin.

Cuntbeaks

Quote from: icehaven on October 08, 2021, 01:55:04 PM
And estate agents. I've never bought a house myself but from watching a few property tv shows I believe it's the norm/expected to haggle over the price.
Not in Scotland. A closing date and 20% over the home report is the norm.

It's a fucking shitshow.

Brian Freeze

The charity shop thing for me is I wouldn't dream of asking about knocking down the price of a flame effect shirt but there's half a dozen Whizzer and Chips type annuals in the "posh" one round the corner and was going to ask about rounding the price down for the lot of them.

On places where it's acceptable to try and haggle, I'm 93% sure I've been in a pub for food with a mate and he's tried to knock down the price of feeding 8 of us at once. The same bloke also tried to negotiate a discount for fifteen of us on the bus to Glenridding while we waited to get on.

Both unsuccessful.

thenoise

Quote from: checkoutgirl on October 08, 2021, 02:13:10 PM
Why were you heckled in a cafe, are you a comedian? If you meant haggler, who haggles in a fucking cafe?

How much for the sausage, beans and toast?

Sausage, beans and toast, that's £2.50.

I'll give you £2.00.

Fuck off.

Quite. And my fingers are chubby to type (or, indeed, do latte art).

It was always the tea drinkers.
£1.50 for a cup of tea? Costs about 5p right?

Um, you're paying my rent you stupid cunt.

Icehaven

Quote from: thenoise on October 09, 2021, 04:33:11 PM
Quite. And my fingers are chubby to type (or, indeed, do latte art).

It was always the tea drinkers.
£1.50 for a cup of tea? Costs about 5p right?

Um, you're paying my rent you stupid cunt.

Oh god there's always an army of them in the comments section under restaurant reviews. "40 quid for a meal?! I could make it myself for a fiver" (they couldn't).