Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:17:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Why 2D Sonic is uncomfortable for me to play

Started by Chedney Honks, October 08, 2021, 11:01:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chedney Honks

It's because you don't just have to hold right, you have to hold DOWN and right the entire time so you're in the ball so you don't get pranged by enemies.

It's so uncomfortable and it tires my thumb to go between down/right and just holding right, especially on shit modern D-pad like the execrable attempt on the so-called 'Pro' Controller.

What a crap design decision to have you pressing down on a diagonal for 90% of the game.

No wonder SEGA is deservedly dead.

madhair60

sorry to hear about your being old

edit: also (friendly) fuck you for making this thread because now people are going to say some bogus shit and I'm going to have to correct them and I don't have time. the other week I managed to upset the entire Sonic community and got razed on twitter for a couple of days, which was fun. because I said Sonic Heroes was "toilet". it fucking IS

Chedney Honks

I edited the post to make it about my own discomfort and the realisation I had about that being the design expectation, which seems weird.

Can you give any argument for the game asking you to press in one diagonal for the majority of the time you're playing it?

If you think I'm exaggerating, please say, but I don't get it. It's one of those things people just get used to if they like Sonic but it's uncomfortable and not at all necessary or fun.

Edit:

And in the spirit of generosity, it's ludicrous that the sprint button in Souls games requires you to use the bizarre claw grip to move the camera and sprint at the same time. Just a total fucked up crippler that I've normalised but my wrists are now gnarled out of all fuck because of it. I got used to it but it's rubbish.

Jerzy Bondov

My kid finds it hard to press down while Sonic is running. He's four years old though, what's your excuse?

Chedney Honks

I have the tensile strength of a four-year-old because of thiusanda of hours of my hands ruined by Souls games stupid design decisions.

Consignia

Soo.... is the implication that the 3D sonics are comfortable to play. Really allows you to dig yourself into Sonic lore, whilst hurtling yourself through a janky roller coaster.

madhair60

You can just tap "down" while running, you never need to hold the diagonal. On an incline you'll just keep rolling. Also in any game after the first one, you can spin dash by crouching and mashing the button.

Chedney Honks

Quote from: madhair60 on October 08, 2021, 11:27:43 AM
You can just tap "down" while running, you never need to hold the diagonal.

Oh, cheers. That's solved it.

madhair60

Consignia

Jerzy Bondov

It's fucking wank how in Game Gear Sonic 1 and 2 you don't get any rings on Act 3.

madhair60

Jerzy Bondov

Sorry, not because I find it difficult, I just like the sound effect when you get a ring

jobotic

I thought this was going to be Adrian Chiles' latest Guardian piece

Quote from: madhair60 on October 08, 2021, 11:04:18 AM
the other week I managed to upset the entire Sonic community and got razed on twitter for a couple of days, which was fun. because I said Sonic Heroes was "toilet". it fucking IS

Star Wars prequel reappraisal effect innit? Loads of young adults with rose tinted memories of it when they were 9.

PlanktonSideburns

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on October 08, 2021, 11:45:30 AM
It's fucking wank how in Game Gear Sonic 1 and 2 you don't get any rings on Act 3.

Just getting to the pig boss in Green Hill on Sonic 2 where you have to clear those massive jumps with few (no?) visible indicators of where to land is hard enough, never mind fighting him with no rings.

PlanktonSideburns

The idea that sonic is hard is hilarious to me

Consignia

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on October 09, 2021, 12:08:24 AM
The idea that sonic is hard is hilarious to me

Again, search deviantart if you want to find out how hard Sonic can get.

popcorn

To add to what madhair said, once you're rolling, you've kind of switched to rolling mode, you're all momentum. You don't need to hold anything, - holding left and right won't change anything, it's all up to momentum now, you're just a marble rolling around. (This is actually a really interesting system that I'm sorry they lost in the 3D games.)

and yes Sonic Heroes is utter shit.

chveik

such a relief, i thought sonic had touched your willy

evilcommiedictator

It's the FOV that really is the problem, but speaking of that, have you seen some of the full-size Sonic maps?
https://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_the_Hedgehog_(16-bit)/Maps
That's Sonic 1, but they get really awesome later
https://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_the_Hedgehog_3/Maps

madhair60

Quote from: Consignia on October 09, 2021, 12:11:32 AM
Again, search deviantart if you want to find out how hard Sonic can get.

Or literally any other cartoon or video game character.

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: evilcommiedictator on October 10, 2021, 10:42:26 PM
It's the FOV that really is the problem, but speaking of that, have you seen some of the full-size Sonic maps?
https://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_the_Hedgehog_(16-bit)/Maps
That's Sonic 1, but they get really awesome later
https://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_the_Hedgehog_3/Maps
I had a book of the Sonic 3 maps before I had Sonic 3. I studied that book harder than anything else in my life. It actually had a misprint which I spotted.

weaseldust

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on October 08, 2021, 11:45:30 AM

and on sonic 1 green hill act 2 you can only get 98 rings

i love 2d sonic though and the sonic 2 megadrive soundtrack is some of my favourite game music ever. the boss music is my favourite boss music also, the rhythm is like a galloping horse https://youtu.be/S3JZKyaucK4

racecar bed indy 500

Quote from: madhair60 on October 08, 2021, 11:04:18 AM
sorry to hear about your being old

edit: also (friendly) fuck you for making this thread because now people are going to say some bogus shit and I'm going to have to correct them and I don't have time. the other week I managed to upset the entire Sonic community and got razed on twitter for a couple of days, which was fun. because I said Sonic Heroes was "toilet". it fucking IS

If Heroes is toilet its my beloved toilet! Seriously, lots of memories of it from when i was younger. Sonic 06 is also far more toilet but I feel the same way about it, it was pretty when it wasnt going about 1 frame per second and the music was as always top notch. And even if it was a cornier attempt at final fantasy type plot stuff than is socially acceptable to like it did have some things going for it.

Also thank you OP I now have an excuse to post about Sonic the Hedgehog on here.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse