Author Topic: Mr Mayor  (Read 456 times)

Mr Mayor
« on: October 08, 2021, 01:42:02 PM »
Couldn't see a thread on this. New sitcom from Tina Fey and Robert Carlock about an ordinary businessman  played by Ted Danson who becomes mayor of Los Angeles and then has to deal with the realities of city politics. Kind of a what if we did Trump but local and he was nice.

First six episodes are distinctly meh but then it starts to pick up a bit. It comes across though that the writers don't really know a great deal about local politics so their knowledge is entirely filtered through other shows. Danson's character I also found not especially interesting as a person - there seems to be more life in his deputy played by Holly Hunter who has the polar opposite, long life in politics but a bit kooky role. Some of the problems come from it being mostly a workplace comedy but with a bit of family sitcom thrown in, with the mayor having lost his wife and bringing up a teenage daughter. Maybe for season two they will figure out how to make it work.

For not-so-fans of Jeff Richmond (did you know he's...), the music does at least seem to be less obtrusive than on Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt.

Currently on Sky Comedy in the UK.

Frank Stallone

• You Guessed It
Re: Mr Mayor
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2021, 09:04:53 PM »
I thought it was pretty entertaining for a first season shot, so looking forward to it coming back with some tweaks and seeing if they can make it something great. There's not a huge amount of good comedy on broadcast TV right now, so I'm rooting for it.

I won't ever not think of the Mr. Manager/Manager dialog from Arrested Development when I read the title, though.

Re: Mr Mayor
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2021, 09:17:19 PM »
I watched the first few but like you thought it was very average so didn't make it through to the end of the series. That's interesting to hear that it picks up towards the end, I doubt I'll watch them now as my tv backlog is so huge as it is but I'll give it another shot when season two begins.

Tags: