Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:32:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Kids in the Hall on Amazon Prime

Started by phantom_power, October 08, 2021, 08:48:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phantom_power

Kids in the Hall is now on Amazon Prime. So that's nice innit.

I look forward to re-watching these, most of them for the first time in 30 years or so

lankyguy95

I initially read that as King Of The Hill.

BeardFaceMan

Wait, is this the old series or the new one?

dissolute ocelot

Seasons 1-5, all the original series. Doesn't seem to have Brain Candy or Death Comes To Town; they're meant to be making new stuff for Amazon but I guess that comes later. Amazon says

Quote"The Kids in the Hall" is a unique and bizarre sketch comedy series that incites humor through an intellectual lens of comedic creativity and character driven sketches. The series brings to life the collision of art and comedy with an uncanny resemblance of current day realities and the human condition.
which is kind of funny.

BeardFaceMan

Yeah thats a lot of needless words there, they could have stopped after the first 13.

Been finding it hard to find much info on the new series, the pandemic halted production but they started filming again earlier this year, I'm sure/hoping it's due before the end of the year.

boinks

"Hey you millionaires! Get outta that garbage!"

McChesney Duntz

I'll have to check again to see if it's all still available (and even if it's there, I don't know if it's region-restricted in any way), but for those of you without Amazon Prime, KITH uploaded the whole series to their YouTube channel a few months back.

EDIT: Yeah, it's there, for us North American bastards at least.

Looking forward (with only moderate apprehension) to the new series - knowing that the likes of Julie Klausner are on board as writers is an encouraging sign.

Shall we rate the seasons? Oh, sure. For me, it's 2 > 1 > 5 > 3 > 4.

Tokyo van Ramming

Also on YouTube for us UK bastards too. Series 1-5 with what I presume are the dvd extras. They've added Death Comes to Town as well.

Johnny Foreigner

I just wish the flying pig were here...

BeardFaceMan

Just started rewatching this because I got myself excited about the new series, quite forgot that Mark McKinney used to do his blues character while fully blacked up.

boinks

Yeah, there was a sketch with Scott in blackface too, if I remember rightly, in the first series. As Tony, the boyfriend brought home for dinner by the girlfriend who thinks her parents are racist bigots.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Scott also plays the very minor recurring character, Raj, the long-suffering friend and housemate of McKinney's overbearing Christine. Raj even pops up in the movie as a cab passenger.

Attila

Perfect -- I haven't seen these in years (bought the DVD, but at the time I tried a rewatch, I hadn't realised just how strongly connected my memories of the show were to a very difficult time and place in my life; am hoping that I can sort a rewatch now).

Death Comes to Town is up on Youtube (or at least it was a couple of weeks ago_ -- highly recommended.

BeardFaceMan

Is it me or does a young Mark McKinney look a lot like Denis Leary?

Just got to an episode where Scott delivered the line "the only way I can cum is to get hit by a bus", his delivery of it fucking floored me. I forgot how rude they got in the first series, quite a few f-bombs too.

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on October 10, 2021, 02:40:06 PM
Just started rewatching this because I got myself excited about the new series, quite forgot that Mark McKinney used to do his blues character while fully blacked up.

This is my first watch of the show and that did give me pause, but otherwise, this show is really funny. I can really see why you old people enjoy it so much.

BeardFaceMan

To be fair, I think it may have just been the pilot he did that, every other time he's done the character it wasn't blacked up. I did get to the aforementioned sketch with Scott blacked up though, and that was very odd.

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on October 12, 2021, 01:25:33 PM
To be fair, I think it may have just been the pilot he did that, every other time he's done the character it wasn't blacked up. I did get to the aforementioned sketch with Scott blacked up though, and that was very odd.

It's not a huge deal. It was a momentary thing in an otherwise really funny pilot that just gave me a second of pause. It took me a while to notice that he'd been blacked up, because the makeup was so waxy.

Blue Jam

Just noticed this now, giving it a go. To my shame I know absolutely nothing about this show.

I like THE ERADICATOR

dead-ced-dead

I've been binging this and it's quite wonderful. My first viewing, too, so lots more fun and surprises. Except for some of the dated gags above (a few black face sketches) very little of it is dated and it's buoyed by a surrealism and willingness to go dark where it needs to.

Wonderful stuff all round. It took me a while to recognise Dave Foley as Flick from A Bug's Life and Kevin McDonald from Lilo and Stich (I think Kevin is my MVP).

BeardFaceMan

Yeah I'm up to season 4 with a rewatch, some really good stuff so far there. And also more weird/almost experimental/arty stuff than I remember, but it nearly always work for me, they have a very high hit rate. There's quite a few 10 minute long sketches too, more like short films, really, thats something you don't see a lot in sketch shows. And I'm noticing a lot of sketches/premises that appear in other sketch shows too, like the 'I don't understand English' sketch that was in Big Train, they really don't get their dues for how influential they were.

And I'm finding Dave Foley unnervingly attractive when he dresses as a woman, particularly the prostitute.

Blue Jam

I don't know, I got a few episodes in and was a bit uncomfortable with some of the blackface stuff, use of the word f****t etc. Shame because there's some quality stuff in there of course.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Blue Jam on October 27, 2021, 01:10:16 PM
I don't know, I got a few episodes in and was a bit uncomfortable with some of the blackface stuff, use of the word f****t etc. Shame because there's some quality stuff in there of course.

It's odd, the blackface seems to come and go, I noticed the blues character started off with the make up, then he didn't have it, the last time I saw him he was back to having it again. With Scott being gay they lean very heavily into using that word, especially characters like Buddy Cole, but I think it's safe to say that when they use that word, it's coming from Scott. He was a very provocative and confrontational person back then so using that word because others found it uncomfortable would have been right up his street. So there is quite a lot of that stuff all through the series but if you can look at it like that it might help you with being able to enjoy it more. Would be a shame if you gave up on it, it's a glorious series.

QDRPHNC

I'd forgotten how catchy the theme tune is.

It's hard to overstate just how beloved they are here, especially in Toronto. I posted a few years 6 years ago of their live reunion show I went to. Opening night and it had the atmosphere of... I don't know. Some great awesome thing happening. It was staggeringly funny, can't-breathe-properly kind of stuff.

Years ago, Scott Thompson was live on MuchMusic (the Canadian MTV, and it used to be great, they filmed it in a studio at ground level on one of the busiest parts of Queen Street, so you could hang out if you wanted and watch celebs come and go and film their bits... anyway) and I think the goal was for a member of the public to make him laugh or something. So they got this early-twenties woman to participate, and after a few minutes of not getting a rise out of Thompson at all she floundered and said, "Erm... I've never seen your show," Thompson's mouth fell open and those in the studio collectively gasped as though someone had been shot.

Edit: Actually found part of the show on YouTube, confused baby getting it's head crushed.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: QDRPHNC on October 27, 2021, 02:04:34 PM
I'd forgotten how catchy the theme tune is.

It's hard to overstate just how beloved they are here, especially in Toronto. I posted a few years 6 years ago of their live reunion show I went to. Opening night and it had the atmosphere of... I don't know. Some great awesome thing happening. It was staggeringly funny, can't-breathe-properly kind of stuff.

Years ago, Scott Thompson was live on MuchMusic (the Canadian MTV, and it used to be great, they filmed it in a studio at ground level on one of the busiest parts of Queen Street, so you could hang out if you wanted and watch celebs come and go and film their bits... anyway) and I think the goal was for a member of the public to make him laugh or something. So they got this early-twenties woman to participate, and after a few minutes of not getting a rise out of Thompson at all she floundered and said, "Erm... I've never seen your show," Thompson's mouth fell open and those in the studio collectively gasped as though someone had been shot.

Edit: Actually found part of the show on YouTube, confused baby getting it's head crushed.

Indeed, I've been trying to learn it on the bass lately.

That's the thing, they're beloved in Canada, not so much everywhere else so when they do things like reunions and tours we never get to hear about it, or see it (it's been quite difficult to get any new info on the series they're doing too). That's just reminded me I have the Tour Of Duty and Same Guys, New Dresses DVDs, I had to get them from good old play.com because they only came out on region 1. Do they have any other tour DVDs or anything like that available that we might not have heard of outside of Canada?

QDRPHNC

A quick search doesn't turn up any recorded material beyond what you already mentioned, but there is this book by a local writer. And here's the same author's oral history of KITH that was published in one of our free papers (scroll down, it's after the fluffier bit about the cover shoot).

This made me laugh:

Quote"I remember Scott getting upset that he couldn't show cum on TV. 'But it's the stuff of life!' 'Yes, Scott, but we still can't show it on TV.'" – McCulloch

BeardFaceMan

Lovely, I'll have a read of that later, thanks. Just reminded me I haven't got their autobiography yet, I was being lazy and couldn't be arsed to read it and thought it would be more to fun to get the audiobook instead, which I never got around to. Must rectify that.

McChesney Duntz

There's also an "authorized biography" by Paul Myers (brother of Mike, who, it turns out, was almost a Kid himself at one point) which is quite good as well: https://www.amazon.com/Kids-Hall-One-Dumb-Guy/dp/1487001835

QDRPHNC

Quote from: McChesney Duntz on October 27, 2021, 06:38:52 PM
There's also an "authorized biography" by Paul Myers (brother of Mike, who, it turns out, was almost a Kid himself at one point) which is quite good as well: https://www.amazon.com/Kids-Hall-One-Dumb-Guy/dp/1487001835

Paul Myers, brother of Mike Myers, foreword by Seth Meyers.

Blue Jam

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on October 27, 2021, 01:28:35 PM
It's odd, the blackface seems to come and go, I noticed the blues character started off with the make up, then he didn't have it, the last time I saw him he was back to having it again. With Scott being gay they lean very heavily into using that word, especially characters like Buddy Cole, but I think it's safe to say that when they use that word, it's coming from Scott. He was a very provocative and confrontational person back then so using that word because others found it uncomfortable would have been right up his street. So there is quite a lot of that stuff all through the series but if you can look at it like that it might help you with being able to enjoy it more. Would be a shame if you gave up on it, it's a glorious series.

Thanks for that. Like I said, I know very little about KitH so it's good to have some context, cheers. Will bear all of the above in mind next time.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: QDRPHNC on October 27, 2021, 02:26:07 PM
A quick search doesn't turn up any recorded material beyond what you already mentioned, but there is this book by a local writer. And here's the same author's oral history of KITH that was published in one of our free papers (scroll down, it's after the fluffier bit about the cover shoot).

This made me laugh:

Says in that oral history article that they're filming a documentary at the same time as they're filming the new series, lots of new Kids stuff to come.