Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:15:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pinhead off of Hellraiser is back and is an lady

Started by Rev+, October 09, 2021, 12:56:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rev+

https://gizmodo.com/hulus-new-hellraiser-movie-announces-its-pinhead-with-a-1847820634

Sure to get certain people throwing their toys out of their prams, but the Hell Priest is as gender-fluid as it gets.  This'll probably be bollocks but it's nice that Barker's back on board now he's got the rights back.

chveik

Mister Six

Barker's only producing, not writing or directing it, so it remains to be seen to what extent he's actually involved with this. The last thing of his I read - also the last Hellraiser-related thing he wrote, I believe - was The Scarlet Gospels, and that was shite, so maybe it's for the best. Hopefully they'll work in some of his unused ideas for Hellraiser 3, which the producers of that film ignored because they wanted a schlocky monster movie, not anything a bit conceptually challenging.

Lady Pinhead might be good or not, dunno, it's all about the performance. In the original Hellbound Heart, the leader of the Cenobites was female (IIRC, her head is just a bright glow) so maybe this is bringing it all back home.

bgmnts

Pretty sure in the book Pinhead does have a high pitched feminine voice but of course in the films that deep booming Douglas Bradley voice is iconic.

They could turn Pinhead into a little puppy and it wouldn't matter, as the film will be (order of the) gash.

Alberon

The Scarlet Gospels wasn't shite. It was really shite.

I've not a problem with the new Pinhead. After all, why bother remaking something if you're just going to do it all the same? As long as it isn't rubbish.

SteveDave

Bronzy

dissolute ocelot

But is she bald? That's the sort of on-screen representation we need.

(I must confess I've never seen any Hellraisers, although I loved playing with pincushions as a child.)

GoblinAhFuckScary

chveik

Spiteface

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on October 10, 2021, 12:33:12 PM
But is she bald? That's the sort of on-screen representation we need.

Only if she looks like this (VERY NSFW):

https://twitter.com/HorrifyMeUK/status/858761301731966976?t=9KdAhkRsMIEJgJ8_budGfA&s=19

Bald women scare me anyway, so I suppose this is a good idea.

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: Spiteface on October 10, 2021, 01:26:39 PM
Bald women scare me anyway, so I suppose this is a good idea.

what's so scary about bald women?

Spiteface

GoblinAhFuckScary

Pinball

There have been so many terrible Hellraiser sequels, it's hard to be optimistic.

Was the lady Pinhead a WW1 officer then? How very progressive of the war machine :-)

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: Pinball on October 11, 2021, 02:12:53 PM
There have been so many terrible Hellraiser sequels, it's hard to be optimistic.

Was the lady Pinhead a WW1 officer then? How very progressive of the war machine :-)

judging hellraiser by the movie canon only, pinhead was only really centred as a character by hellraiser 2 where he was introduced as being previously elliot spencer. by the end of that movie that version of him does actually die and the pinhead that we see further down the line is not the war veteran elliot spencer, but a different entity with the same image.

julia herself becomes the primary antagonist by hellraiser 2 and had clare higgins decided to stay with the series would have progressed to being the actual queen of hell in further movies.

in hellraiser 4 we have the character angelique who is the princess of hell and pinhead's superior

plenty of space in the canon for authoritative women in the hellraisers

bgmnts

Why dont they do a film where Pinhead get's ousted by the Cenobite with the fucked up neck? That's a woman isnt it?

wooders1978

It's a very thought provoking take on the hellraiser lore - can't wait

SteveDave

I've only seen the first "Hellraiser" so yesterday I read all the plots for the other ones on Wikipedia. Woooo mama. They're all exactly the same. This did give me a laugh though...

Online! Cyber! WWWoah! The Matrix!

Also this for the follow-up film "Hellraiser: Revelations"

QuoteThe film was produced in a matter of weeks, due to an obligation on Dimension Films' part to release another Hellraiser film or risk losing the rights to the film series. Due to the quick turnaround time and the rushed production, series star Doug Bradley declined to participate, making this the first entry in the series in which he does not play Pinhead. It was released in a single theater for a crew screening that was ostensibly open to the public, then released to DVD in October 2011.

druss

I've only seen the original. Watched it again yesterday and found myself very attracted to Julia, particularly when she was murdering people. Might need to talk this through with someone.

Mister Six

Hellraiser 2 is pretty great. Hellraiser 3 is fun in a schlocky "it's not really Hellraiser but just enjoy it" way. All the ones after that are irredeemable shite, though, and the recent ones just shat out Roger Corman's Fantastic Four-style to keep the rights locked down.

Event Horizon does a better job of being Hellraiser in space than the actual Hellraiser in space movie, Bloodlines. So swap that in for #3 if you like the first couple and want something similar (but in space).

Famous Mortimer

I've seen the first nine, and the last one tried to claim it was "from the mind of Clive Barker", to which the man himself responded:

Quote"Hello, my friends. I want to put on record that the flick out there using the word Hellraiser IS NO FUCKIN' CHILD OF MINE! I have NOTHING to do with the fuckin' thing. If they claim it's from the mind of Clive Barker, it's a lie. It's not even from my butt-hole."

I also admire how it's supposed to be a found footage movie, yet they break their own "rule" about five minutes in. I also liked how Doug Bradley said the fee they offered him to reprise his role would have been about enough to buy a new fridge.

I still haven't persuaded myself to sit and watch "Hellraiser: Judgement", but I'm sure it's every bit as good as part 9.

Rev+

'Hellraiser: Inferno' isn't quite as bad as the other sequels, although it's one where you have a sneaking suspicion that it didn't start life as a Hellraiser sequel at all.  Kind of a 'Jacob's Ladder' vibe to the thing.

Famous Mortimer

Some, most or all of parts 5-8 weren't written as Hellraiser movies, so you're probably right (I can't be bothered to remember which ones). "Hellworld" has about a minute of the Cenobites in it, and the rest of the movie just isn't enough to hold the interest.

I reckon "Deader", the one about the journalist going to Eastern Europe for some reason, is my favourite of the later installments.

Mister Six

Is the reason that it's cheap to film in Eastern Europe, especially if you're not even trying to dress it up as somewhere else?

bgmnts

For anyone interested, this is a pretty decent recap and retrospective of all the Hellraiser films up to Judgement.

https://youtu.be/pO-8-GcJyug

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: SteveDave on October 15, 2021, 04:39:32 PM
I've only seen the first "Hellraiser" so yesterday I read all the plots for the other ones on Wikipedia. Woooo mama. They're all exactly the same. This did give me a laugh though...

Just when you think it couldn't get any better, Jack Boswell is in that one.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: SteveDave on October 15, 2021, 04:39:32 PM

The flesh ripping hell dimension seems tame, compared to five minutes on Twitter.

Spiteface

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on October 15, 2021, 08:14:48 PM
Some, most or all of parts 5-8 weren't written as Hellraiser movies, so you're probably right (I can't be bothered to remember which ones). "Hellworld" has about a minute of the Cenobites in it, and the rest of the movie just isn't enough to hold the interest.

I think they all were just scripts that had Pinhead shoehorned into them after the fact. Any old shit as long as Pinhead turns up and mumbles something vaguely evil.

Which makes it weirder that Revelations wasn't, and was written as a Hellraiser film from the ground up. But Doug Bradley said no to it.