Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:52:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Grand Theft Auto is back!!!

Started by Chollis, October 09, 2021, 04:02:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister Six

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on October 12, 2021, 04:17:54 PM
I've not seen that. They must have stolen the idea from me. Bloody mafiosos.

Mafia III also nabbed New Orleans, which is one of the last truly iconic American cities that the GTA franchise hadn't already taken (although IIRC there was some talk about doing a handheld GTA game set in New Orleans, with the main character being a private detective, but that didn't get off the spitballing stage as the team was shunted onto doing a Bully conversion for PSP instead).

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Was GTA3 an instant megasmash, or was it more of a sleeper hit? I remember the controversy over the first game, but the sequels didn't really catch my attention. I think I saw GTA3  on the shop shelves, but paid it no attention until the Christmas holiday (only a couple of months after it was released, but it felt like a long time, back then) when Digitizer named it their game of the year. I rushed out to buy it in the January sales and, upon returning to university a week later, it seemed like everyone was talking about it all of a sudden.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on October 12, 2021, 01:56:08 PM
Here's a modded version of GTA3 that looks pretty darned impressive. I assume that it's fairly simple to swap in appropriate car and NPC models from GTAs 4 and 5, but remodelling all the unique assets, like the buildings would be a much larger task (although Liberty City and Los Santos could also be lifted from 4 and 5, I suppose). It depends how much time (and money) they're willing to spend on it. If they leave the models as they are and just add better lighting, reflections and suchlike, it could still look decent, but for £65 I'd hope they were putting a bit more effort into it.

I hope they don't modernise it too much. It would be a shame if it lost the cartoonish, slightly janky charm of the originals, in favour of ragdoll physics and whatnot.

That's not 3, that's V being used to mock up 3.

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on October 12, 2021, 05:27:24 PM
Was GTA3 an instant megasmash, or was it more of a sleeper hit? I remember the controversy over the first game, but the sequels didn't really catch my attention. I think I saw GTA3  on the shop shelves, but paid it no attention until the Christmas holiday (only a couple of months after it was released, but it felt like a long time, back then) when Digitizer named it their game of the year. I rushed out to buy it in the January sales and, upon returning to university a week later, it seemed like everyone was talking about it all of a sudden.

It was an instant smash. I remember playing it on release day as my very first video game, and being a kid, I saw every reference to it everywhere -- and they were everywhere. Even Smerch mentions it on the Ricky Gervais XFM podcasts around release.

JamesTC

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on October 12, 2021, 04:43:32 PM
It's nice to dream but I would put money on these being the exact originals simply running at 4k 60fps and no other graphical enhancements. At the very most, the lighting might be a bit better, possibly the models might have their poly counts increased a bit, but we're not gonna see anything anywhere close to the nice PC mods.

Leaked logos for the achievements from the Rockstar PC Launcher indicate that some sort of additions have been made. A picture of a bicycle for Vice City (a vehicle which never appeared in that game originally) and
Spoiler alert
a Bigfoot foot
[close]
for San Andreas amongst them.

Still think it'll be shit. Unless they've found a way to add fucking shark cards to them.

JamesTC

In High School, I told a friend that there was a secret car park in San Andreas. You would walk through a certain door in a house near where Big Smoke's house is at the end of the game and it'd transport you to it and it had every car in the game. He spent all weekend going up to every door trying to get there.

Chollis

GTA3 remains one of the most vivid "gaming" memories i have. a few of us round a mate's house, (11 years old[nb]me as well, not just them[/nb]) just staring at each other as we played that first mission, like "holy shit this is amazing". we couldn't believe how advanced it seemed to anything we'd ever played before, like that was the moment games entered the 21st century. i've had that sense of awe with very few games since.

QDRPHNC

Me too, although I was in my early 20s. Rented it from Blockbuster based on the back cover and was blown away within 5 minutes of playing it. The idea that you could get in and out of cars, steal anything, go anywhere was amazing.

imitationleather

Quote from: Chollis on October 12, 2021, 06:39:02 PM
GTA3 remains one of the most vivid "gaming" memories i have. a few of us round a mate's house, (11 years old[nb]me as well, not just them[/nb]) just staring at each other as we played that first mission, like "holy shit this is amazing". we couldn't believe how advanced it seemed to anything we'd ever played before, like that was the moment games entered the 21st century. i've had that sense of awe with very few games since.

Same. I've not tried VR games yet but I can imagine only those could be the same sort of step up that GTA3 felt compared to what had come before.

The Culture Bunker

I remember the first GTA being a huge deal at the time, so expectation for GTA3 was pretty high from my peer group at least, and seeing everything in 3D was a big "woah! moment for us.

Not quite sure I'm majorly arsed about the PS2 trilogy being reworked: I didn't even finish San Andreas as I got bored with it, which was a huge let-down after loving the majority of Vice City. Presumably they're not throwing in the '... Stories' games too, as I never actually played them, and thus missed out on Phil Collins/Timothy Spall antics.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: imitationleather on October 12, 2021, 07:37:32 PM
Same. I've not tried VR games yet but I can imagine only those could be the same sort of step up that GTA3 felt compared to what had come before.

I've tried a fair bit of VR and I am honestly half and half on it. They're very immersive but I think the limitations of the tech massively constrain them overall. It's telling that until Alyx almost every VR game had some sort of complete and total narrative conceit to explain why you were a sliding/teleporting hovering head in a fridge box. And even after Alyx every new VR game has been the same way. Nothing's truly tried to make a game that conveniently uses VR to its advantage, it always has to be A VR Game.

ElTwopo

I played these games to death when they came out. No interest in revisiting them.

Make some new games you shits.

mobias

If the rumours about GTAVI are true, and I believe they pretty much are true, then it makes more sense Rockstar putting quite a bit of effort into these remasters. Its gets people back into Vice City and San Andreas vibe and style of gameplay.

Just to add. The rumours are GTAVI will start off being set in Vice City and end up in San Andreas, but it'll be a whole new version of both locations. On top of that apparently Rockstar want to move away from highly scripted and tightly controlled story missions and move back to shorter looser missions like we saw in the older games. It'll be up to you how you want to do them.

QDRPHNC

Which rumours are those?

Not to get off-topic, but I would imagine Rockstar are in a bit of a difficult spot regarding what to do with GTA Online. You have this huge and profitable user-base, but it's all tied to GTAV. Can they "upgrade" the online experience independently (I mean, not just adding things to do but upgrading it to take advantage of the new systems), or will they have to release a whole new online experience along with VI and ensure people who have put thousands of hours into the current GTA Online have the incentive to move over?

TheGingerAlien

Quote from: ElTwopo on October 12, 2021, 09:31:23 PM
I played these games to death when they came out. No interest in revisiting them.

Make some new games you shits.

Aye, this! 

Many happy memories of playing GTA here, but do we really need to revisit them in a new engine / 4k etc? What's wrong with just letting people play it in its original form and spending the time making GTA6 instead?  If you're gonna do it again then at least like, make it VR or something.  What's the point?

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: QDRPHNC on October 12, 2021, 09:46:14 PM
Not to get off-topic, but I would imagine Rockstar are in a bit of a difficult spot regarding what to do with GTA Online. You have this huge and profitable user-base, but it's all tied to GTAV. Can they "upgrade" the online experience independently (I mean, not just adding things to do but upgrading it to take advantage of the new systems), or will they have to release a whole new online experience along with VI and ensure people who have put thousands of hours into the current GTA Online have the incentive to move over?

People are happy to do that every year with Fifa Ultimate Team, and that's with zero incentive.

TheGingerAlien

Quote from: mobias on October 12, 2021, 09:40:08 PM
If the rumours about GTAVI are true, and I believe they pretty much are true, then it makes more sense Rockstar putting quite a bit of effort into these remasters. Its gets people back into Vice City and San Andreas vibe and style of gameplay.

Just to add. The rumours are GTAVI will start off being set in Vice City and end up in San Andreas, but it'll be a whole new version of both locations. On top of that apparently Rockstar want to move away from highly scripted and tightly controlled story missions and move back to shorter looser missions like we saw in the older games. It'll be up to you how you want to do them.

What rumours?  Please don't make me do a search that ends with Mr Boss

Mister Six

Quote from: mobias on October 12, 2021, 09:40:08 PM
On top of that apparently Rockstar want to move away from highly scripted and tightly controlled story missions and move back to shorter looser missions like we saw in the older games. It'll be up to you how you want to do them.

Yeah, that's what I've heard - moving away from the heavily designed missions to a more systems-based approach, where you're given the tools and placed in an environment with consistent physical rules, and you figure out for yourself the best way to do things, rather than follow endless boring on-screen prompts and contextual button-presses (a design philosophy that I was bored by in GTA IV and which hasn't grown any more endearing in any other Rockstar game since).

I've also heard they've either ditched or heavily modified their engines and design tools as a consequence, which is difficult for those members of the design team who don't actually know how to program, because now it's not as simple as using the very restrictive old tools to carefully craft a corridor for the player to amble down.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on October 12, 2021, 10:08:08 PM
People are happy to do that every year with Fifa Ultimate Team, and that's with zero incentive.

Yeah, but by the time GTA6 rolls around, you'll have people who have literally spent a decade playing GTA Online.

Quote from: Mister Six on October 12, 2021, 10:12:10 PM
Yeah, that's what I've heard - moving away from the heavily designed missions to a more systems-based approach, where you're given the tools and placed in an environment with consistent physical rules, and you figure out for yourself the best way to do things

Glad to hear it. Once of my favourite memories from GTA3 was being sent to kill some mafioso in a parked car, who then led you on a chase. Instead, I just went a nicked and bus and barrelled into him at full speed.

mobias

Quote from: TheGingerAlien on October 12, 2021, 10:09:56 PM
What rumours?  Please don't make me do a search that ends with Mr Boss

The rumours are the world of GTAVI will be based on the whole of the USA condensed into one map with Vice City on the east coast and San Fierro on the west, with presumably Las Venturas somewhere in the middle. The map of RDR2 was a prototype of doing this, and the consensus is it worked pretty well.

Quote from: Mister Six on October 12, 2021, 10:12:10 PM
Yeah, that's what I've heard - moving away from the heavily designed missions to a more systems-based approach, where you're given the tools and placed in an environment with consistent physical rules, and you figure out for yourself the best way to do things,

Yup. It also makes creating missions much easier and faster from Rockstar's point of view. So much development time and effort goes into creating those highly scripted set piece story missions. Vice City didn't have any scripted story missions. Everything was based around quite a rudimentary AI system. Its what made it a bit more random and fun. You could turn up with a tank if you wanted and just blast your way through a mission. I think Rockstar want to go back to that but with a much more sophisticated AI system thats designed to throw some seriously crazy shit at the player with stuff thats constantly changing. It would make replaying the game more fun too. 

Mister Six

I'm not sure it necessarily makes the whole process easier, though, especially ensuring playability and stability on the back end. It'll also require a bit more thought than just plonking down the pieces and telling the player to get on with it. If it works it'll be great, but it's going to mean a totally different - and in some ways more rigorous - way of thinking from a design perspective.

Chollis

Quote from: mobias on October 12, 2021, 10:44:15 PM
The rumours are the world of GTAVI will be based on the whole of the USA condensed into one map with Vice City on the east coast and San Fierro on the west, with presumably Las Venturas somewhere in the middle.

this sounds amazing to me, honestly.

i want Rockstar to be hugely ambitious and take as many years as they need to make these incredibly detailed open-world games, because they're the best at it.
i know loads of people died making RDR2 but it was worth it when you played it, wasn't it?
does anyone make these kind of games with the scale and ambition that they do?

Beagle 2

It really does sound amazing, I hope it's true.

No love for Chinatown Wars then, you would think they could whack that in there on the Switch at least. It's superb game and seeing as an iOS version already exists, surely it would be minimal effort to port it across.

Quote from: Beagle 2 on October 13, 2021, 09:19:14 AM
It really does sound amazing, I hope it's true.

No love for Chinatown Wars then, you would think they could whack that in there on the Switch at least. It's superb game and seeing as an iOS version already exists, surely it would be minimal effort to port it across.

Absolutely love Chinatown Wars. That drug dealing side game was ridiculously addictive.

bgmnts

I can tell you right now that GTA VI idea is going to be way too fucking big and unless they sort some stuff out it'll just be a big empty world.

Red Dead Redemption 2 suffered from thst problem.

Beagle 2

At least you'll have a sports car to bez around in though and not a horse with heat realistic knackers.

JamesTC

I love a big empty map to explore.

Waking Life

Quote from: JamesTC on October 13, 2021, 11:34:13 AM
I love a big empty map to explore.

This is how I feel. It makes traipsing during or between missions more tedious. I thought the first RDR had it just on the right side (which makes sense for an actual rural Western) but the second was just sprawl. Beautiful sprawl at times, but still felt like surface over substance, despite side missions and collectibles.

San Andreas worked just because CJ's journey felt quite organic in moving between the three cities. But the city sections worked best for this type of game. Skyrim, it ain't.

imitationleather

Maybe you'll be able to sit on the Amtrak for a few days.

JamesTC

The best thing to do in San Andreas was to get in the train and just gun it for about five minutes until eventually the train goes so fast it derails.