Author Topic: Grand Theft Auto is back!!!  (Read 3692 times)

mobias

Re: Grand Theft Auto is back!!!
« Reply #90 on: October 13, 2021, 09:50:33 PM »
The build up hype leading to the release of San Andreas was crazy back in 2004. Like loads of people I played Vice City to death and knew every nook and corner of the map. When they started releasing details of San Andreas it all just seemed insane. Three cities each the size of Vice City plus loads of country side and mountains in between. I lost sleep with excitement.

The finished game didn't disappoint. I know some people found it too sprawling and it lacked the focus of Vice City. One thing I didn't like about it was that to get it working on the PS2 they hid the game world behind a wall of smog and haze. Otherwise the draw distance would have bricked the PS2. The upshot however was that it did a good job of fooling you into thinking the game world was bigger than it was. It was quite clever really but it always annoyed me that you couldn't really enjoy distant views.

There were mods for the PC version that removed all the smog and haze. I wonder if that sort of thing will be in the new version?

Rev+

• Like it is, like it sounds
« Reply #91 on: October 14, 2021, 01:26:06 AM »
Wasn't the smog appropriate, given that a major chunk of it was set in a heavily-polluted city?

The buzz before San Andreas was amazing, though.  They released a logo, which led to months of feverish speculation.  It was defintiely gonna be a Hells Angels thing.

mobias

« Reply #92 on: October 14, 2021, 08:48:32 AM »
Wasn't the smog appropriate, given that a major chunk of it was set in a heavily-polluted city?

Yeah it would have been over Los Santos but it covered the entire map.

« Reply #93 on: October 14, 2021, 12:43:13 PM »
Going by the press release quote, "graphical improvements ... while still maintaining the classic look and feel of the originals" I assume that the draw distance will be fixed.

San Andreas is easily my favourite of the PS2 trilogy, and probably of the series overall - I've only played through GTA5 once and couldn't stick GTA4's horrible driving physics long enough to really get into it. Vice City has the glorious '80s art direction, but I found the city itself a bit dull to drive around and interact with, being all flat, narrow roads. Any one of San Andreas' cities is at least as good and that's before you add in all the countryside in between. The apparent vastness of the map gives the story a real sense of momentum too. In the previous two, each new island is only a stone's throw across the bizarrely lethal water from the old one, so unlocking a new one doesn't seem like that big a deal. Unlocking a new location in San Andreas feels more momentous, thanks to the change in scenery and the apparent distance from where you've previously been. When you finally return to Los Santos, near the end of the game, it feels like it means something.

« Reply #94 on: October 14, 2021, 04:05:44 PM »
Mafia Definitive Edition is absolutely gorgeous, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pG0DR_LpzM&ab_channel=DigitalDreams if they did this with the older GTA games I'd definitely play them again.

Vice City is still probably my favourite, the mix of great music, 80s aesthetic, humour, characters. I was playing it in my first year or so living in Florida so they kind of merged into this real life/video game existence for me (although I wasn't going around stealing cars and shooting people in the game )

mobias

« Reply #95 on: October 14, 2021, 06:56:12 PM »
GTA3 was the big experiment in doing a 3D sandbox GTA and Vice City refined it. Vice City came out about 18 months after GTA3 and it had all the features 3 should have had. I had fun with GTA3 but it very quickly felt old after VC came out. San Andreas blew everything away but I know so many people who still prefer VC. It just oozed so much atmosphere. Some people just preferred the less is more approach of VC I guess.

Its crazy to think all that era of GTA's was made by a team of around 30 people. There's very few people left at Rockstar North from those days I think. Just a handful. Alasdair Wood, who is head of graphic design and does all the iconic cover art is still there, and Aaron Garbut who is the art director is still there. He's now head of Rockstar pretty much. More than anyone else GTA is his baby. I've met him a few times, really lovely unassuming bloke.

It'll be very interesting to see the direction of GTAVI. Rockstar is a really changed place these days. A lot more women work there for a start. The ex head of Rockstar North Les Benzies was forced out a few years back and apparently he was very much responsible for the whole sex, drugs and rock and roll ethos of Rockstar and GTA. Those days are gone now. I can't imagine Vi will feature strip clubs and killing prostitutes anyway.

« Reply #96 on: October 14, 2021, 07:24:14 PM »
I've always thought Vice City was the weakest of the original 3D GTA trilogy. Yes it has a great atmosphere but the map is very dull. It seemed like a quickly put together cash grab to me after the success of GTA 3. I still think San Andreas has the best map though.

Ham Bap

• I’m a ham bap.
« Reply #97 on: October 14, 2021, 07:26:59 PM »
I can't imagine Vi will feature strip clubs and killing prostitutes anyway.

Thats me out.

« Reply #98 on: October 14, 2021, 07:49:57 PM »
I've always thought Vice City was the weakest of the original 3D GTA trilogy. Yes it has a great atmosphere but the map is very dull. It seemed like a quickly put together cash grab to me after the success of GTA 3. I still think San Andreas has the best map though.

Correct!

imitationleather

• "The French... are famous... for their kissing"
    • http://last.fm/user/ImiLeathr
« Reply #99 on: October 14, 2021, 07:55:29 PM »
So long since I've played any of them but the difference in quality between San Andreas and GTA3 seemed so great that I can't believe they were released so close together. San Andreas just felt so much more real and like a living place with stuff going on.

Vice City was indeed quite a slight game that I have nowhere near the level of fondness towards that I do with the other two. I'm not sure if it's because I was maybe slightly too young at the time to appreciate all the references.

Ham Bap

• I’m a ham bap.
« Reply #100 on: October 14, 2021, 08:42:46 PM »
I dont think I played much of San Andreas, just a couple of hours. It came out just as I was starting work full time after uni and I moved into a flat share, and didnt game for a while.

I loved Vice City though so it'll be my first proper playthrough of SA.

I read on the GTA Forums, I think it was, that they'll probably be showing footage of these next Friday, 22nd October, the 20th anniversary of the release of GTA III.

mobias

« Reply #101 on: October 14, 2021, 09:35:10 PM »
I loved the fact that if you got a 4 star wanted level in Vice City Crockett and Tubbs joined the police in coming after you in their little sports car. I remember being really disappointed that wasn't in San Andreas. I loved little sarcastic interactions between CJ and the police when you got arrested in San Andreas though. I'm looking forward to being reminded of how much more 'fun' the older GTA's were over IV and V.

« Reply #102 on: October 14, 2021, 09:38:51 PM »
In my circle Vice City had a bit of a double whammy in that it had all that 80s novelty stuff going on and was the first one to come out after a critical mass of people had gotten a PS2. Can remember a few people going on about how amazing GTA3 was but Vice City was the point where everyone else was getting a PS2 purely because the bulk of people seemed to be talking about Vice City all the time.

Def remember a lot of people getting GTA3 after Vice City too

Mister Six

• Golden Member
  • Feeling like Lemon Ken
« Reply #103 on: October 14, 2021, 09:41:51 PM »
Couldn't go back to GTA 3 after getting used to being able to jump out of burning, speeding vehicles, rather than slowing down and putting on my handbrake for some reason.

I really, really want to play GTA IV again just to see how it shapes up to actual New York City, which I hadn't been to when I played it. I guess GTA 3 will be interesting for a similar reason, but I imagine there'll be a lot less versimilitude.

Yeah it would have been over Los Santos but it covered the entire map.

IIRC, it changed colour to be fog in the San Francisco city and desert dust in and around Las Vegas, which isn't ideal or 100 percent realistic, but did add atmosphere.

H-O-W-L

• "CHRIST!!! CAT BRUSH!!!"
« Reply #104 on: Yesterday at 03:47:06 AM »
I swear to god the SA fog was not as prevalent as you're all making out either. I dumped 2000+ hours into that game as a kid and have no recollection of ever having issues with the fog. And as a teenager and adult I've played probably another 2000+ hours in multiplayer mods.

Mister Six

• Golden Member
  • Feeling like Lemon Ken
« Reply #105 on: Yesterday at 04:05:48 AM »
Yeah, it didn't seem that bad to me at all. The pop-up when you were in a jet, though... flying down between skyscrapers is a bit less fun when you're liable to prang yourself on an invisible palm tree.

Suppose this is a bit more extreme than we're used to these days:

And a bit harsher than Vice City:

« Reply #106 on: Yesterday at 09:19:43 AM »
I remembered SA is the only one of the GTA games I've played that I never got round to finishing - I got bored at some point, I think it was doing some mission with model airplanes for the bod voiced by David Cross (?). It must have been around the time I started having to work for a living rather than being a student/dolewaller, so maybe I just didn't have the inclination to keep at it. Maybe didn't help that the early 90s soundtrack wasn't as appealing to me as Vice City's.

Mister Six

• Golden Member
  • Feeling like Lemon Ken
« Reply #107 on: Yesterday at 02:24:21 PM »
I dropped out of SA in Las Venturas, when a bug meant I couldn't get the keycard (or something) I needed to begin the big heist. Boooo!

kngen

• Fighting sleep's deathlike grip
« Reply #108 on: Yesterday at 03:18:19 PM »
I got bored at some point, I think it was doing some mission with model airplanes for the bod voiced by David Cross (?).

I think that was a stepping off point for a lot of folk, as it was a real pain in the arse. Somehow I managed to do it, but could not, for the life of me, complete the basic flying mission in the desert (the one where you fly in a circle through some rings), despite 100s of attempts, and attempts at cheating (maxing out flying skills, which seemed to make no difference). Never did get to see Las Venturas.

Famous Mortimer

• War - it's fantastic!
    • International Syndicate of Cult Film Critics
« Reply #109 on: Yesterday at 03:31:14 PM »
Agreed on the David Cross missions. I think in the end I gave my mate some beer to come round and do the missions for me, as he was / is a much more serious gamer than me.

I hope Rockstar are looking at the not-exactly-glowing reception a similarly beloved game from several generations ago - Diablo 2 - is getting with a "graphics and not much more" remake, and are going to do something better. I kinda wish they'd just recreate the older games with the new engine.

Ham Bap

• I’m a ham bap.
« Reply #110 on: Yesterday at 04:20:57 PM »
#GTATrilogy description has been discovered, and reveals the games will have new lighting, high resolution textures, GTAV-style controls & targeting, and more!
https://twitter.com/GTANet/status/1449031954284875781?s=20

« Reply #111 on: Yesterday at 05:06:17 PM »
Sadly it doesn't seem like there is any new content. The leaked achievement pictures which seemed to hint at possible new content don't seem to. The bicycle achievement in Vice City refers to doing a wheelie for a certain distance, which can be done by the various motorbikes in the game. The Bigfoot achievement in San Andreas refers to spending 24 hours in the countryside looking for Bigfoot but presumably never finding him.

Beagle 2

• Silver Member
« Reply #112 on: Yesterday at 05:24:07 PM »
#GTATrilogy description has been discovered, and reveals the games will have new lighting, high resolution textures, GTAV-style controls & targeting, and more!
https://twitter.com/GTANet/status/1449031954284875781?s=20

Actually sounds spot on to me.

mobias

« Reply #113 on: Yesterday at 07:02:39 PM »
But the real question is will 'hot coffee' be reinstated into San Andreas?

Jerzy Bondov

• best not bother
    • righto so ive got five minutes off work and uh yeah im gonna have a cheeky volvic
« Reply #114 on: Yesterday at 07:50:31 PM »
Yeah that sounds good actually fair play

Famous Mortimer

• War - it's fantastic!
    • International Syndicate of Cult Film Critics
« Reply #115 on: Yesterday at 08:07:45 PM »
I will be happy to see this thing, if it's as described.

« Reply #116 on: Yesterday at 09:24:43 PM »
that David Cross mission didnt wind me up as much as the flying school missions, put the game down for months because of that and wound uo playing Warriors for the whole of winterr.

Mister Six

• Golden Member
  • Feeling like Lemon Ken
« Reply #117 on: Yesterday at 09:48:33 PM »
Ooh, I forgot about Warriors. Updated versions of that and Bully would be preferable to GTA 3, TBH.

« Reply #118 on: Today at 01:32:40 AM »
The Supply Lines mission was bugged wasn't it fuel would run down in moments where it wasn't supposed to. I seemed to be lucky though, I did it 4th attempt I think? Didn't see what the fuss was about. It had nothing on that one mission where you have to go and rescue Lance in Vice City

San Andreas was probably my favourite experience with a GTA game. Felt like you went on a proper journey and CJ has motivations beyond wanting to make money because it'd be cool.

imitationleather

• "The French... are famous... for their kissing"
    • http://last.fm/user/ImiLeathr
« Reply #119 on: Today at 01:52:17 AM »
I've never played GTAIV or V. I was considering getting a PS5 for the V remaster but from what I hear people say it's just not going to match those trilogy of games.

Tags: