Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 09:42:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Polexit

Started by touchingcloth, October 09, 2021, 03:54:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

touchingcloth

Pol[nb]Like Pot.[/nb]-exit, or Pole-czit?

Cheers.

Icehaven

Polski-ing away from the EU.

touchingcloth

Quote from: icehaven on October 09, 2021, 03:58:02 PM
Polski-ing away from the EU.

Leave your politics at the door. This thread is solely about pronunciations, you hear?

PlanktonSideburns

TrenterPercenter

mothman

Norton Canes

pancreas

Poley Put the Mettle On

Edit: more of a headline really

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Pol-ease let us not be part of the EU anymore

Blumf

beanheadmcginty

Wouldn't touch the EU with a ten foot barge POLE

PlanktonSideburns

Is this a thing Poland wants to do?

Johnny Foreigner

Poland just wants to follow suit without much critical thinking. I think they are Pole parroting.

Cloud

Buelligan

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on October 10, 2021, 10:51:56 PM

Not the whole pole, maybe just the tip.  Still counts as being fucked though.

monkfromhavana

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on October 10, 2021, 10:51:56 PM

Not really, but the ruling party will try and force it through when they're not too busy trying to close news channels.

Wonderful Butternut

Countries with attitudes to LGBT rights as shit as Poland's should fuck off out of the EU. Actually no, the EU should fuck them out instead of waiting for them to jump.

So yes, Polexit please, and Hungary with them. And then the remaining EU countries should bomb some of the infrastructure built with EU funding into the ground. See how they do then. And if their people don't like it they shouldn't vote for right wing fuckheads who encourage the creation of "LGBT ideology free zones".

But I'm beginning to suspect I'm actually some sort of fascist deep down, so maybe I should be ignored.

jobotic

They only want to help you Po-land

Johnny Foreigner

They will inevitably be pulling some other countries with them, like a magnetic Pole. Or other countries will let themselves be guided by the Poles, intensely gazing at the Pole star.

Paul Calf

Quote from: monkfromhavana on October 11, 2021, 08:01:57 AM
Not really, but the ruling party will try and force it through when they're not too busy trying to close news channels.

How authoritarian are the Outlaw and Injustice party? How right wing are they? From an economic POV they seem to be pretty neoliberal? What are the effects of their influence in practice?

Sorry, feel free to ignore any and all of this but I'm interested in the politics of central and eastern Europe - particularly Poland and Hungary - and the effect that Sovietism has had on them.

Paul Calf

I knew a Polish woman in Poznan who lived under Soviet rule and the first thing she did when she got a passport was go over to Africa to offer help, but I'm not naive enough to think that this was typical of the reaction to the fall of the USSR in general.

monkfromhavana

Quote from: Paul Calf on October 11, 2021, 10:01:30 AM
How authoritarian are the Outlaw and Injustice party? How right wing are they? From an economic POV they seem to be pretty neoliberal? What are the effects of their influence in practice?

Sorry, feel free to ignore any and all of this but I'm interested in the politics of central and eastern Europe - particularly Poland and Hungary - and the effect that Sovietism has had on them.

They're probably slightly better than Neo-Liberal on wealth distribution, but are very Christian-right, anti gay "all gays are paedophiles" etc), anti immigrant, anti free speech - they attempted to force through a law that all media companies had to be Polish which would basically benefit one channel that is overwhelmingly staffed by pro-PIS people and never runs anything negative about them. The foreign-owned channels are the ones that tend to call them out on their shit. Anti-abortion, anti-women's rights.

I get this mostly from my partner, so I'm not the most knowledgeable about it, but basically they're a bunch of corrupt, old, religious bigots.

Buelligan

I'm guessing Polish people, like normal humans, are a mixed bag.  Recently read Olga Tokarczuk's Drive Your Plow Over the Bones of the Dead.  Not really about Polish politics at all but yes, it is.  Having read it, I think Olga Tokarczuk's a super human being.  Read this book if you get the chance.

dissolute ocelot

It's a long term plan for Poland and the UK to set up an Asshole's European Union. Possibly with all the countries that kill whales, and Monaco.

Buelligan

Just on that whole whale-killing thing.  Imagine, a world where there was a land creature bumbling about right now, today, chatting to its friends and family, living off of gnats, a land creature far bigger than even the biggest dinosaur that ever lived and people were driving around firing missiles at them.  Imagine how popular it would be if the slaughter of these intelligent, gentle, giants took place right in front of the kiddies instead of hidden behind miles of empty ocean.

Blumf

Quote from: Johnny Foreigner on October 11, 2021, 09:31:34 AM
They will inevitably be pulling some other countries with them, like a magnetic Pole. Or other countries will let themselves be guided by the Poles, intensely gazing at the Pole star.

It'll just be Poland on it's own. This will make the boffins at CERN extremely pleased, as they've been looking for a monopole for ages.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Wonderful Butternut on October 11, 2021, 09:06:33 AM
Countries with attitudes to LGBT rights as shit as Poland's should fuck off out of the EU. Actually no, the EU should fuck them out instead of waiting for them to jump.
This is the thing, re: the EU. How supportive are they of LGBT+ rights, really?

Buelligan

The problem lies with humans, humans with their religions, their narrowness, their fear of anything they can't control or don't understand.  It's not exclusive to the EU any more than it is to Russia or Saudi Arabia.  In fact, I have a gay friend in Russia right now trying hard to get to the freedom of the French EU.

TrenterPercenter

Really don't want to feed anything here but I'm really not comfortable with someone trying to imply the current criminalisation, murder and abuse of LGBTQ people in Russia and Saudi Arabia are consummate to the EU under the guise of some silly misanthropic woo-woo about humans.

No need to reply Buelligan; just wanted to register my rejection of such a statement.