Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,468
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:12:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Question regarding Victoria station

Started by Fambo Number Mive, October 09, 2021, 04:53:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

Has Victoria Station always had a row of giant Union Jack hanging from the ceiling like something out of V for Vendetta (the comic not the crap film). Or is this part of the orgy of flagshagging going on to distract from the failures of our government?

What next, staff being made to whistle Land of Hope And Glory as you walk past? People taking selfies with a bust of Winston Churchill?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

If something is happening to a well known London landmark first thought should be that it has something to do with impressing tourists.

Fambo Number Mive

I suppose but I dont know how many tourists will be impressed by giant Union Jack's hanging from the roof of the station. Mind you this is the city that gave us the Marble Arch mound.

I wonder how many people actually notice them.

bgmnts

Been there a dozen times over the years and do not remember union jacks or effusive patriotism over the years.

I imagine nobody notices though, thankfully. It's London innit.

Johnny Foreigner

Am I the only one who, upon entering Victoria Station, goes effectively deaf? It baffles me how people manage to talk to another, let alone to the person behind the counter. The whole of Victoria Station is just one massive wall of overwhelming noise to me.

beanheadmcginty

TBF, the crowning centrepiece of Victoria Station is a branch of Wetherspoons, so it seems entirely appropriate.

AllisonSays

I love the Spoons in Victoria tbh, great for people watching if you get a seat outside above the main concourse.

mothman

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Johnny Foreigner on October 09, 2021, 05:52:30 PM
Am I the only one who, upon entering Victoria Station, goes effectively deaf? It baffles me how people manage to talk to another, let alone to the person behind the counter. The whole of Victoria Station is just one massive wall of overwhelming noise to me.

Normally there are biases, contentious opinions, subjectivity but Victoria Station is an absolute fucking shithole, coach station included. Utterly horrible place that seems to emit a horribleness onto the streets nearby.

bgmnts

They charge you for a piss, that in itself should be a crime.

I dont like the seats they have at the coach station. It's like they know you're ready to leave for a place much nicer to live in and so want to make you suffer one last time.

Johnny Foreigner

Went to the trouble of booking a table at The Shakespeare (Greene King) by Victoria. In the event, it turned out the pub was nearly empty. Bastards.

touchingcloth

I usually just walk over to Shudehill.

idunnosomename

have they finished the eternal fucking works outside it yet? that the Change UK Nandos dinner was there speaks volumes. absolute steel n glass neoliberal hell

beanheadmcginty

Quote from: bgmnts on October 09, 2021, 09:11:18 PM
They charge you for a piss, that in itself should be a crime.

When did you last go? As far as I know all train station pissers in London have been free since about 2019. If they do still charge, there's definitely free ones in Wetherspoons.