Author Topic: who's got imposter syndrome  (Read 2234 times)

TrenterPercenter

• Rock the CABLADs
Re: who's got imposter syndrome
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2021, 01:19:14 PM »
As mentioned its it very common (evidence relates problems with it largely to childhood and competitive experiences - not being a weak person) with the other extreme being a narcissist or so misanthropic that you fundamentally don't care about people and how they might then think about you (big overlaps with both though).  As with most things a bit of it is part of the human condition but when it impacts on functioning then there are signs that it is getting out of control.

We've evolved a sense of other people that is just theory of mind (which for most of us develops by age 5) and with a recognition of others minds comes recognition of thoughts about you.  What people really tend to mean when they describe the extreme symptoms of IS is anxiety; obsessive uncontrollable thoughts, rumination and fear of "being found out"; yes that is anxiety.  Whilst some parts of our brain evolved relatively advanced cognitive elements of theory of mind these are very new developments.  Also due to way our brain grow for survival purposes we develop our anxiety-danger-response system (parts of the brain stem, amygdala and other midbrain structures) long before we learn to control them.

You can hard reprogram these "flaws" if you like but that doesn't come without it's own consequences; You just become the aforementioned narcissist and judge jury and executioner of any reappraisal (very potent way of living; means you don't have deal with a lot of things so reduced psychological cost in self-reflected and empathy - it's the basis of the McDonald's I'm Lovin' it slogan btw, a mantra they coined in reaction to when they were under the a lot of negative PR so when for a self affirming "I'm ME" approach to close down any self-reflection on their activities).

« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2021, 01:26:31 PM »
My employer put on a half-day workshop on imposter syndrome. After ten minutes I realised I didn't actually suffer from it, then spent the rest of the morning feeling like I didn't deserve to be there.

Beagle 2

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2021, 01:30:06 PM »
I veer between feeling like this and then meeting very successful people who seem absolutely clueless and either don't care or don't seem to be aware. Then I feel... better? No, not really.

Beagle 2

• Silver Member
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2021, 01:32:52 PM »
People complimenting me or saying they really liked something I've done is one of the worst feelings for me, I don't know how to react at all, it's weird. It happened to me last week in a meeting and I just wanted it to stop. Why?! I'd worked really hard on the thing.

thenoise

• Golden Member
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2021, 01:36:31 PM »
It doesn't really happen to lifelong underachievers like me *smug mode

Buelligan

• STOP being afraid
Re: See what I'm doing here to the poor Dog?
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2021, 01:37:32 PM »

TrenterPercenter

• Rock the CABLADs
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2021, 02:02:51 PM »
People complimenting me or saying they really liked something I've done is one of the worst feelings for me, I don't know how to react at all, it's weird. It happened to me last week in a meeting and I just wanted it to stop. Why?! I'd worked really hard on the thing.

It's anxiety; I'll wager it does mean a lot to you (not in a ego sense) that is why you worked so hard on it; now when someone compliments you, especially in public, your old brain doesn't understand this and thinks shit something is happening! get on the epinephrine asap!

Also see really fancying someone and them talking to you and showing interest.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2021, 02:20:08 PM by TrenterPercenter »

chveik

• crazy bit of business
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2021, 02:04:48 PM »
That one woman in the CIA ad recentlly had this.

oh yeah. probably covers a far darker reality

Shoulders?-Stomach!

• Silver Member
  • They call me mista bald bastard
    • http://jackanderton.jamendo.net/
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2021, 02:06:31 PM »

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt2040281/

Worth a watch, explores this feeling.

icehaven

• WORLD'S BIGGEST RIP OFF: $100 PER PERSON
« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2021, 02:30:45 PM »
I probably would do if I wasn't surrounded by and subjected to the most naked professional incompetence imaginable on a daily basis, besides which my inadequacy and inexperience barely even registers. I used to wonder how and why my old boss, who wasn't particularly bright or brilliant, thought he was so superior to so many people he had to work with, and now I have his job I realise he just let it go to his head.

TrenterPercenter

• Rock the CABLADs
« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2021, 02:35:47 PM »
Being exceptionally ignorant is also a good way to not have imposter syndrome.

Buelligan

• STOP being afraid
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2021, 02:49:49 PM »
Most normal intelligent people are suffering then?

TrenterPercenter

• Rock the CABLADs
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2021, 02:53:52 PM »
Most normal intelligent people are suffering then?

I think you need to learn what ignorant means before you try these debate guy tactics.

Alberon

• His heart is an empty fridge
« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2021, 02:55:16 PM »
I've had Imposter Syndrome most of my life. I've had it on here for god's sake!

I'm better with it now and can realise it for the bullshit it is. Mostly it comes from dealing with your hidden worries and fears and not seeing that beneath the apparent shell of confidence most people are the same.

Buelligan

• STOP being afraid
« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2021, 02:56:48 PM »
I think you need to learn what ignorant means before you try these debate guy tactics.

You like to teach, still waiting for the module on painting naked models, mind, but no matter, fill your fucking boots, please do lecture on what ignorant means, you massive expert.

TrenterPercenter

• Rock the CABLADs
« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2021, 02:59:17 PM »
You like to teach, still waiting for the module on painting naked models, mind, but no matter, fill your fucking boots, please do lecture on what ignorant means, you massive expert.

No; I'm just going pop you on ignore (again).  Remember to relax now mon frere!

« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2021, 03:00:50 PM »
^^^The most tedious aspect of this place by far.

« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2021, 03:10:09 PM »
My old boss seemed to be functionally illiterate, although he was numerate. Didn't know the first fuckin' thing about websites or computers, or people management for that matter. And he runs a web design and development company.

TrenterPercenter

• Rock the CABLADs
« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2021, 03:11:32 PM »
^^^The most tedious aspect of this place by far.

It is tedious; believe me I know.  I'll stop replying to her now.

bgmnts

• Depressed to the point of poisonous toxicity.
« Reply #50 on: October 11, 2021, 03:28:05 PM »

Jesus.

PlanktonSideburns

• Get on the fet STAT
Re: See what I'm doing here to the poor Dog?
« Reply #51 on: October 11, 2021, 03:39:04 PM »

What’s this from? Looks like dogperson properly chins him

« Reply #52 on: October 11, 2021, 03:41:02 PM »

I feel that. I get imposter syndrome here more than I get it irl. The other big forum I used to post on as a teenager / young adult was on a popular animation website too, and I didn't really watch too many of the animations. And I don't watch much British comedy either. Always a nagging feeling like my contributions here are not especially welcome. I know a lot of people have been posting here for over a decade and I am a relative newcomer.

madhair60

• ころねすきー
  • Golden Member
  • Thank you forever
    • Comics, videos, podcasts, writing, etc
« Reply #53 on: October 11, 2021, 04:11:12 PM »
I used to get it at/before the CaB meets but everyone is so nice that I now basically enjoy them more than any social event I can think of

TrenterPercenter

• Rock the CABLADs
« Reply #54 on: October 11, 2021, 04:22:26 PM »
Always a nagging feeling like my contributions here are not especially welcome.

Nah not at all; I think you make some great posts JDs.

« Reply #55 on: October 11, 2021, 05:40:41 PM »
Nah not at all; I think you make some great posts JDs.

awww thanks <3

TrenterPercenter

• Rock the CABLADs
« Reply #56 on: October 11, 2021, 05:54:11 PM »
awww thanks <3

Just kiddin' you worm![1]

(whoops sorry wrong thread)
 1. btw I am only really kidding here I do actual enjoy your posts

Cloud

• This is probably a mistake
« Reply #57 on: October 11, 2021, 09:38:52 PM »
I thought I did, and then they started taking everything off me and outsourcing it, shutting down the IT department etc, so I guess I'm just genuinely shit.

Being kept on, but I think it's pretty much a case that a) they're keeping me sweet so that I'm around to help with the handover and b) the other guy is retiring soon and they're hoping I'll get fed up and fuck off of my own accord.  Not likely, they can pay me redundancy or suck it up...

« Reply #58 on: October 11, 2021, 11:49:53 PM »
me

Johnny Yesno

• Perfume of a critic's burning flesh
« Reply #59 on: October 12, 2021, 12:33:20 AM »
your mum

Tags: