Author Topic: What was the aesthetic of the 2000s? What was the aesthetic of the 2010s?  (Read 3635 times)

gilbertharding

• Lipsmackin' thirstquenchin' acetastin' motivatin'
Re: What was the aesthetic of the 2000s? What was the aesthetic of the 2010s?
« Reply #120 on: October 13, 2021, 09:33:28 AM »
If you watch Saturday Kitchen Best Bites on a Sunday Morning, you get occasional glimpses of the Saturday Kitchen set from the early days when James Martin presented it.

The guests (a celebrity, a couple of chefs and two members of the public who wear badges with their names on) sit at a desk which looks like it was knocked up from bits of old newsreader's podium - Formica, MDF, brushed aluminium trim, and the backdrop is a whitewashed rubble wall.

I can't find any pictures of it online, sadly - but for me, the contrast between this and the current set sums up the aesthetic difference between now and the turn of the century.

TrenterPercenter

• Rock the CABLADs
« Reply #121 on: October 13, 2021, 11:27:59 AM »
2000s - Teletubbies

2010s - Hollyoaks

Hollyoaks was the 2000s grandad

Edit: fuck me! it actually started in 1995!

Dr Rock

• The BEST of luck!
« Reply #123 on: October 13, 2021, 12:04:16 PM »
To those who say you can't tell what the current aesthetic is that will date and look bad once it's over - modern suits are far too skinny on the lower half of the leg.

« Reply #124 on: October 13, 2021, 12:46:22 PM »
Speaking of suits; they were all made of tartan/checkered cloth in the 2010s.

GoblinAhFuckScary

• Jess Phillips
« Reply #126 on: October 13, 2021, 01:50:03 PM »
To those who say you can't tell what the current aesthetic is that will date and look bad once it's over - modern suits are far too skinny on the lower half of the leg.

popular suits right now make you look a right cunt. all of mine seem to be from the 80s/90s

« Reply #127 on: October 13, 2021, 01:52:29 PM »

Not an unshaven ball sack between them I don't doubt.

GoblinAhFuckScary

• Jess Phillips
« Reply #128 on: October 13, 2021, 01:54:32 PM »
Not an unshaven ball sack between them I don't doubt.

do you not see them and imagine that they're entirely shaved in the penile zone

gilbertharding

• Lipsmackin' thirstquenchin' acetastin' motivatin'
« Reply #129 on: October 13, 2021, 02:08:02 PM »
Compare and contrast this image from the Noughties:

GoblinAhFuckScary

• Jess Phillips
« Reply #130 on: October 13, 2021, 02:18:50 PM »
Compare and contrast this image from the Noughties:

this is deffo still a thing for middle aged men

TrenterPercenter

• Rock the CABLADs
« Reply #131 on: October 13, 2021, 02:23:29 PM »
I had some bootcut jeans up until about 5 years ago (probably less) when a friend took me to one-side and explained that you don't wear them anymore (like I was being informed of a personal hygiene problem).  Now I'm a skinny jeaned freak which doesn't feel right because I'm 41[1]; is there anyway to win at this jeans game[2]
 1. though, and YES LMAC I am being smug, the other night someone said they couldn't believe it and thought I was early 30s - this was someone that was off their face on Ket admittably but I'm holding onto this with everything I've got for now
 2. yes and I think I've found it skinny but not too skinny

« Reply #132 on: October 13, 2021, 02:30:50 PM »
I think skinny jeans are fine at any age, just fashion in general it's either for kids or adults (sometimes both). Imho if something looks embarrassing to wear in your 40s, it's embarrassing to wear at any adult age.

This guy is 104

Much better than

TrenterPercenter

• Rock the CABLADs
« Reply #133 on: October 13, 2021, 02:39:14 PM »
I think skinny jeans are fine at any age, just fashion in general it's either for kids or adults (sometimes both). Imho if something looks embarrassing to wear in your 40s, it's embarrassing to wear at any adult age.

Hmmm I'm not sure this is quite how fashion works; though I take your point I dread the thought of having a subscribed dress code based on age so like your man below you gotta make it work for you.

This guy is 104

Absolute dapper.

Funnily enough though I would look and feel like a complete bell end wearing a casual waistcoat whilst this guy pulls it off like an original G.

Magnum Valentino

• Formerly magval
« Reply #134 on: October 14, 2021, 10:06:11 AM »
Bollocks, he looks like a smug old fuck and if he was younger youse'd be laying into him for sporting the exact same look. You've tempered your disgust with pity and it's evolved into admiration. Where's the CAB of the Captain Tom threads?!

At least the two fellas in the other picture don't look like they're trying to get people to talk about them.

« Reply #135 on: October 14, 2021, 10:13:35 AM »
I feel like I would potentially wear "look at me and how cool my clothes are" outfits, if this hadn't been rubbed out of me through high-school uniform policies. I used to be very interested in showcasing elements of my personality through eye-catching clothes. I think this is a shame, really; I always admire snappy dressers.

PlanktonSideburns

• Get on the fet STAT
« Reply #136 on: October 14, 2021, 10:50:53 AM »
Hmmm I'm not sure this is quite how fashion works; though I take your point I dread the thought of having a subscribed dress code based on age so like your man below you gotta make it work for you.

This guy is 104

Absolute dapper.

Funnily enough though I would look and feel like a complete bell end wearing a casual waistcoat whilst this guy pulls it off like an original G.

Bet he was a right handsome bastard in his day, could wear any old shit and look good, now in his old age he’s had to have a word with himself and make over, like John waters says about being old and stylish

Mr_Simnock

• Wake up we're going back to chelmsley wood
« Reply #137 on: October 14, 2021, 10:57:11 AM »
Sure, I'm not saying it's the be-all and end-all, I just wonder if there's a similarly cohesive, dominant aesthetic for the 2000s and 2010s, and I think there probably isn't largely because the internet has fractured the dominant media forces and has sped up the rate at which new cultures, subcultures and aesthetics develop, fall or mutate into something else.

I think you have it there for me, trends/stuff comes and goes so quickly now

GoblinAhFuckScary

• Jess Phillips
« Reply #138 on: October 14, 2021, 11:00:16 AM »
"look at me and how cool my clothes are"

this is literally just normal human self-expression. clothes are fun and cool and if you put a lot of effort into a look it's not uncommon to want positive interest. i notice men often have a bizarre suspicion of clothes and fashion and not looking dogshit (not aimed at anyone)

« Reply #139 on: October 14, 2021, 11:25:44 AM »
I had some bootcut jeans up until about 5 years ago (probably less) when a friend took me to one-side and explained that you don't wear them anymore (like I was being informed of a personal hygiene problem).

If someone said that to me not only would I laugh in their face and tell them to fuck off into hell, I would double down and bootcut everything, my legs, my house, my kids. Absolute wankers telling other people what they should or shouldn't be wearing.

imitationleather

• "The French... are famous... for their kissing"
    • http://last.fm/user/ImiLeathr
« Reply #140 on: October 14, 2021, 11:25:59 AM »
Yesterday I saw a lad wearing an Atlanta 1996 Olympics top, and it struck me he was probably born nearly ten years after those Olympics happened.

It looked cool, but it also struck me that if I wore it rather than looking cool I'd just look like I hadn't bought any clothes since 1996.

Vintage stuff is absolutely huge with the kids at the mo. I was wearing old sports clothes, tennis shirts, golf jumpers etc. a decade ago and they were dirt cheap because no one wanted them, but now all that stuff is nearly as expensive as buying new designer gear.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

• Your sleep paralysis demon

Rizla

• That's not another knife - THIS is another knife!
« Reply #142 on: October 14, 2021, 02:43:59 PM »
It's already been the 20th anniversary of those twisted levis taking the jeans world by storm - https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/article/levis-engineered-jeans. I had several pairs, they were a good cut.

Everyone looks ridiculous in the skinny ones, even actual young skinny folk, it's an atrocious spectacle that requires the bin.

Chollis

• Master of Codes
« Reply #143 on: October 14, 2021, 03:05:27 PM »
Vintage stuff is absolutely huge with the kids at the mo. I was wearing old sports clothes, tennis shirts, golf jumpers etc. a decade ago and they were dirt cheap because no one wanted them, but now all that stuff is nearly as expensive as buying new designer gear.

Are you sure it's still in? Vintage sports stuff was in 10 years ago!

imitationleather

• "The French... are famous... for their kissing"
    • http://last.fm/user/ImiLeathr
« Reply #144 on: October 14, 2021, 05:02:08 PM »
Are you sure it's still in? Vintage sports stuff was in 10 years ago!

You seen what undergrads look like at the moment? They are absolutely all to a man decked out in vintage stuff now whereas ten years ago it weren't like that at all.

TrenterPercenter

• Rock the CABLADs
« Reply #145 on: October 14, 2021, 06:14:05 PM »
Bollocks, he looks like a smug old fuck and if he was younger youse'd be laying into him for sporting the exact same look. You've tempered your disgust with pity and it's evolved into admiration. Where's the CAB of the Captain Tom threads?!

At least the two fellas in the other picture don't look like they're trying to get people to talk about them.

Well I was thinking he could also be a solid nonce now you've asked.

Mr Banlon

• If you're gonna go nog, you gotta go Mingus
« Reply #146 on: October 19, 2021, 11:24:45 PM »
When did the victorian public toilet-look for kitchens start ?

GoblinAhFuckScary

• Jess Phillips
« Reply #147 on: October 19, 2021, 11:26:53 PM »
what's that from? surprisingly late 80s garish vibe to it

Mr Banlon

• If you're gonna go nog, you gotta go Mingus
« Reply #148 on: October 19, 2021, 11:34:28 PM »
what's that from? surprisingly late 80s garish vibe to it
"Subway tiles" they've been a thing for a while for kitchens.

GoblinAhFuckScary

• Jess Phillips
« Reply #149 on: October 19, 2021, 11:38:42 PM »
no issue with them personally. it's everything else in that picture that's wrong; them work surfaces and that industrial cooker. restaurant kitchen energy

Tags: