Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 11:26:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What was the aesthetic of the 2000s? What was the aesthetic of the 2010s?

Started by Mister Six, October 11, 2021, 02:55:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrenterPercenter

"OH PLAAAAAACE YOUUUUURR HAAAAAAANDS ON MY SOOOOOOUUUUL!! ALLLLRIGHTAAA!"

get in concrete grave

GoblinAhFuckScary

Mister Six

Quote from: George Oscar Bluth II on October 12, 2021, 10:15:52 AM
I think this might nail it. Like we who didn't live through it can sit here and say "the 80s, new romantics, neon, massive mobile phones" and someone who did will be like "yeah but what about the skinhead revival, football casuals, goths" or whatever none of which really fit in.

Even at the time, though, there was an agreed-upon (by marketing people, I guess) monoculture aesthetic that dominated all others - as I mentioned, orange-and-burnt-sienna colour schemes and chest hair in the 1970s, pastel-and-grey geometric shapes and squiggles in the 1980s. What was that in the 2000s and 2010s?

Not that I want to spoil all the other discussion going on here.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on October 12, 2021, 01:33:23 PM
this is great. 'indie sleaze' is how i best recollect the late noughties vibe

That is a really cool website GAFS! thanks for sharing :)

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Chedney Honks on October 12, 2021, 01:41:57 PM
This is the 2000s to me

Are we starting to see the pattern of gap yah white people trying to be grunge yet?

chveik

r&b, hip hop and various types of electronic music have been dominating the charts in the last twenty years, the indie rock/post-punk revival isn't at all representative of the aesthetic of 'our present'

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: chveik on October 12, 2021, 02:08:58 PM
r&b, hip hop and various types of electronic music have been dominating the charts in the last twenty years, the indie rock/post-punk revival isn't at all representative of the aesthetic of 'our present'

There are different aesthetics aren't there.  I mean my comment was literally attached to the pictures it was talking about.

Anyhoo, that aside, I don't agree with your notion; it's inaccurate and a little bit hmmmm, lets go with ignorant; r&b, hip hop and "electronic music" are not the same and should not be lumped together as a collective dominating genre against the what was a very white set of indie bands of the 2000-2010s (which were about before but were less young wealthy white men with music hobbies, many of whom where very talented fwiw, and were more poorer white working class bands like Echo and the Bunnymen and even Oasis).

r&b, hip hop and "electronic music" have always been an aesthetic longer than the last twenty years so it's just inaccurate anyway; the golden age of hip hop is considered early-80s to mid-90s, r&b has been dominant in lots of decades and has it's roots in the 1940s, and electronic music is a whole set of other genres which really starts getting popular in the 1970s. 

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: chveik on October 12, 2021, 02:08:58 PM

Yea I feel like if you try and find any 2000s aesthetics in white boy indie it just looks like they raid the charity donation bin for clothes. Best look elsewhere for innovation

TrenterPercenter

Sorry I might have misinterpreted your post there then chviek, as I think you may have misinterpreted mine.

Yes this white boy indie revival is over now in our present but it wasn't always the case which is my point.

Mr_Simnock

Quote from: Mister Six on October 12, 2021, 01:56:12 PM
Even at the time, though, there was an agreed-upon (by marketing people, I guess) monoculture aesthetic that dominated all others - as I mentioned, orange-and-burnt-sienna colour schemes and chest hair in the 1970s, pastel-and-grey geometric shapes and squiggles in the 1980s. What was that in the 2000s and 2010s?

Not that I want to spoil all the other discussion going on here.

My problem with this is what the media or 'marketing people' focus on is not what is represented in society, that lot only give a very narrow view of any given year/decade trends and aesthetics.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on October 12, 2021, 03:54:57 PM
My problem with this is what the media or 'marketing people' focus on is not what is represented in society, that lot only give a very narrow view of any given year/decade trends and aesthetics.

Yes it might not be, just like being a Tory might not be the majority of people, with lots of different mini political factions existing at any time, but mainstay culture is shaped formed by societal buy-in to big tent themes.  Therefore within this people mindlessly chuntering along to things do so because of a media and marketing that literally is in the business of selling people and convincing them of things to make other people rich.

You still have to have a counter culture and take on these big tent aesthetics to try and win back some plurality; big tent aesthetics are more tolerable for me when they are counter to elitist notions and when they are meaningful and progressive, which is often because people are "tied" to their experience and their experience shines through their artistry; we label this quite loosely in words like "authentic" or "real". 

I don't however think that any aesthetic shouldn't exist just that; it shouldn't dominate and if it is dominate it should be criticised.  The people that say "all music is subjective and equal" and "all music is of the same value and therefore should not criticised" simply aid these dominate aesthetics and inadvertently side with capital and power in the process.

Fambo Number Mive

Would it be fair to say there was a lot more clothing with big logos on than now?

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on October 12, 2021, 04:28:49 PM
Would it be fair to say there was a lot more clothing with big logos on than now?

a lot more loud t-shirts? i feel like band t-shirts were more ubiquitous. nirvana/ramones/led zep boomer bollocks being sold at primark

bgmnts

Ellesse.

I remember lots of Puma and Ellesse. I see Ellesse a bit now actually.

Ellesse.

What was the clothing logo with the two silhouetted naked ladies opposite each other? Saw lots of that too.

Mister Six

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on October 12, 2021, 03:54:57 PM

Sure, I'm not saying it's the be-all and end-all, I just wonder if there's a similarly cohesive, dominant aesthetic for the 2000s and 2010s, and I think there probably isn't largely because the internet has fractured the dominant media forces and has sped up the rate at which new cultures, subcultures and aesthetics develop, fall or mutate into something else.

Chollis

Quote from: bgmnts on October 12, 2021, 04:41:34 PM
What was the clothing logo with the two silhouetted naked ladies opposite each other? Saw lots of that too.

Kappa

don't think they're naked ladies though. you dirty old bollocks

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: bgmnts on October 12, 2021, 04:41:34 PM
Ellesse.

I remember lots of Puma and Ellesse. I see Ellesse a bit now actually.

Ellesse.

Kappa.  It is actually a man and a woman not two women.

chveik

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on October 12, 2021, 02:44:10 PM
There are different aesthetics aren't there.  I mean my comment was literally attached to the pictures it was talking about.

Anyhoo, that aside, I don't agree with your notion; it's inaccurate and a little bit hmmmm, lets go with ignorant; r&b, hip hop and "electronic music" are not the same and should not be lumped together as a collective dominating genre against the what was a very white set of indie bands of the 2000-2010s (which were about before but were less young wealthy white men with music hobbies, many of whom where very talented fwiw, and were more poorer white working class bands like Echo and the Bunnymen and even Oasis).

r&b, hip hop and "electronic music" have always been an aesthetic longer than the last twenty years so it's just inaccurate anyway; the golden age of hip hop is considered early-80s to mid-90s, r&b has been dominant in lots of decades and has it's roots in the 1940s, and electronic music is a whole set of other genres which really starts getting popular in the 1970s.

i wasn't even replying to your post! i've just listed the genres that have been the most relevant the last 20 years, i know they existed before that, do you really think i don't know they're different? seriously find someone else to pontificate to instead of twisting my words this is getting really tedious.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: chveik on October 12, 2021, 05:50:11 PM
i wasn't even replying to your post! i've just listed the genres that have been the most relevant the last 20 years, i know they existed before that, do you really think i don't know they're different? seriously find someone else to pontificate to instead of twisting my words this is getting really tedious.

Hey chill.  Look at the post it that was directly under mine and could easily be referring to what I said (and be absolutely in swing with your usual misery one-liner sneers).  If I got it wrong then it's quite obvious to see how it occurred.  I even apologised already anyway so this little hissy fit just looks a bit forced tbh. 

If your post was directed at someone else then perhaps use the quote function like most people do to avoid confusion or atleast don't be so sensitive if someone thinks you are replying to the poster immediately before you.

QDRPHNC

Can't be arsed reading the thread. Has anyone mentioned the New Aesthetic yet? I remember when it seemed like it was going to be a big deal for a bit in a early 2010s. It never panned out as a proper movement, but in hindsight it's kind of interesting.

QuoteNew Aesthetic is a collaborative attempt to draw a circle around several species of aesthetic activity—including but not limited to drone photography, ubiquitous surveillance, glitch imagery, Streetview photography, 8-bit net nostalgia. Central to the New Aesthetic is a sense that we're learning to "wave at machines"—and that perhaps in their glitchy, buzzy, algorithmic ways, they're beginning to wave back in earnest.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on October 11, 2021, 06:21:52 PM
I remember a lot of Grade 3-4 shaved heads in the '00's and Ben Sherman shirts but not tucked in with braces like the original tribe sported that look. It really did feel like a skinhead nation for a bit until it all got so beardy.  Bald men shaving their heads completely a'la Mitchell Bros was kicking in too. When William Hague did it, you knew it was considered the norm.

Since lockdown I've noticed this isn't de rigeur so much now and I'm seeing the softer European look for the balding man. Prince William leading the way, perhaps?
Closely cropped heads seemed to start with Ewan Macgregor in Trainspotting (1996), although you really needed the eyes and cheekbones if you didn't want to look like an extra from Full Metal Jacket.

In the past few years I've paid several business visits to a company selling pro audio equipment where half the men in the office have shaven heads and huge beards (and bands). It looks very silly, like the artificial gravity is screwed up.

Fambo Number Mive