Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:04:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Channel 4's National Comedy Awards

Started by up_the_hampipe, October 11, 2021, 11:09:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

up_the_hampipe

So the British Comedy Awards are no more, but the National Comedy Awards are happening in December. You can vote for your favourites, if you have any at all, here https://www.thenationalcomedyawards.com/

The list of nominees has made me realise how little I've been taking in British national comedy recently. Is this a collection of nominations that inspires hope or is it all just a bit boring now?

Mobius

Can't believe how many of those are just panel shows...

This list made me realise the last english comedy I really really loved was probably Staths Lets Flats, the latest series of which is over 2 years old now.

edit - oops I was just looking at the first page of nominations. Well the rest are pretty crap too. Vote Partridge, Sean Lock

DrGreggles

31 nominees for Best Comedy Entertainment Series.

I've seen 1 of them, and probably only heard of about 8.

dissolute ocelot

It's good in a public vote to list pretty much every show and a lot of performers, with 20 or 30 noms for most categories, rather than force people to pick from your tiny shortlist ("pick the single of the year from this list of 6 identical pop-R&B tracks"). There are some good shows in there (Taskmaster, Alma's Not Normal, Feel Good, etc) even if a lot of it is identikit filler that's not even obnoxiously bad.

A bit sneaky that you have to verify your email at the end for your vote to count, but at least you can view the categories.

sevendaughters

comedy is pretty stale as a televisual format. people prefer podcasts for slow burn laughs with their fake mates, jokes and structure are old hat, faux-documentary is burned out, radio is an emeritus format for a select group of london-adjacents, and anything politically fiery is not allowed. we are all bourgeois now.

phantom_power

Those categories are a mess, and the nominations in the entertainment categories really do show the dearth of comedy shows that aren't either scripted sitcom/comedy dramas or panel shows.

dr beat

No mention of Liam Williams in there.  I guess Pls Like might not be recent enough to qualify, but Ladhood surely deserved inclusion.

phantom_power

I am surprised Cold Lasagne isn't in the stand-up category but maybe it is too old

Malcy

We should have CAB Awards at the end of every year. I know there's often favourite things of the year threads but surely we could cobble some sort of daft thing together.

Jittlebags

And the award for favourite Wanking Thread 2021, goes to....

rue the polywhirl

Nominees for best Comedy Chat thread - Glinner Thread VII, Glinner Thread VIII, Glinner Thread IX, Glinner Thread XII...

dissolute ocelot

^ Best thread name would be very competitive.

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on October 12, 2021, 10:04:32 AM
It's good in a public vote to list pretty much every show and a lot of performers, with 20 or 30 noms for most categories, rather than force people to pick from your tiny shortlist ("pick the single of the year from this list of 6 identical pop-R&B tracks"). There are some good shows in there (Taskmaster, Alma's Not Normal, Feel Good, etc) even if a lot of it is identikit filler that's not even obnoxiously bad.

I think I'm right in saying that these noms are essentially longlists, and the top four from each category will make up the shortlists which'll go to another public vote. So we'll still end up with Gervais and Jimmy Carr winning everything because they've got bigger audiences than Poppy Hillstead and Sophie Duker.

Icehaven

Might be my computer but I keep getting the bad gateway page.

sevendaughters

Quote from: icehaven on October 13, 2021, 08:48:17 AM
Might be my computer but I keep getting the bad gateway page.

I just think it means your computer has evolved a sense of propriety.

up_the_hampipe

This is now airing on Saturday 5th March and the voting for the shortlisted nominees has re-opened https://www.thenationalcomedyawards.com/

British comedy is dead.

Famous Mortimer

There was usually one not-horrible nomination in each category. It was vaguely disheartening to learn that British comedy is made of the same 10 people, though.

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on February 21, 2022, 04:58:29 PMBritish comedy is dead.

It's better than ever. It's just that the good stuff isn't necessarily popular.

Hugl

Can we add Ant and Dec as write-in candidates?

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on February 21, 2022, 08:34:11 PMIt's better than ever. It's just that the good stuff isn't necessarily popular.

Indeed. That's what's killing it.

up_the_hampipe

The event happened today and will air on Saturday. Here are the winners if you want to save time:

https://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2022/03/02/50289/live-national-comedy-awards-2022

Try not to despair over the winner for best stand-up show.

Wadded Beef

Depends on what you're learning, I guess.

KennyMonster

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on February 21, 2022, 04:58:29 PMBritish comedy is dead.

Not as dead as Rik Mayall, whose passing they failed to mention in their "comedians who have recently carked it" section after he died.

F*ck em.

Bad Ambassador

"All the winners were chosen by public vote"

That explains four awards going to Sex Education, and the whole thing being generally pointless.

Autopsy Turvey

lauraxsynthesis

If it was a public vote I have to assume the Sex Education fandom rallied their troops. I think it's a very good programme but not all that funny. It certainly doesn't deserve ALL the awards.