Author Topic: Channel 4's National Comedy Awards  (Read 1236 times)

up_the_hampipe

• Crowd appeaser
Channel 4's National Comedy Awards
« on: October 11, 2021, 11:09:52 PM »
So the British Comedy Awards are no more, but the National Comedy Awards are happening in December. You can vote for your favourites, if you have any at all, here https://www.thenationalcomedyawards.com/

The list of nominees has made me realise how little I've been taking in British national comedy recently. Is this a collection of nominations that inspires hope or is it all just a bit boring now?

Mobius

• he who hingeth aboot getteth hee haw
Re: Channel 4's National Comedy Awards
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2021, 11:21:07 PM »
Can't believe how many of those are just panel shows...

This list made me realise the last english comedy I really really loved was probably Staths Lets Flats, the latest series of which is over 2 years old now.

edit - oops I was just looking at the first page of nominations. Well the rest are pretty crap too. Vote Partridge, Sean Lock

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2021, 11:21:46 PM »
31 nominees for Best Comedy Entertainment Series.

I've seen 1 of them, and probably only heard of about 8.

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2021, 10:04:32 AM »
It's good in a public vote to list pretty much every show and a lot of performers, with 20 or 30 noms for most categories, rather than force people to pick from your tiny shortlist ("pick the single of the year from this list of 6 identical pop-R&B tracks"). There are some good shows in there (Taskmaster, Alma's Not Normal, Feel Good, etc) even if a lot of it is identikit filler that's not even obnoxiously bad.

A bit sneaky that you have to verify your email at the end for your vote to count, but at least you can view the categories.

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2021, 10:13:03 AM »
comedy is pretty stale as a televisual format. people prefer podcasts for slow burn laughs with their fake mates, jokes and structure are old hat, faux-documentary is burned out, radio is an emeritus format for a select group of london-adjacents, and anything politically fiery is not allowed. we are all bourgeois now.

Captain Z

• Die Hard or Die Tryin'
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2021, 10:17:26 AM »
There is a best podcast category.

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2021, 10:23:10 AM »
Those categories are a mess, and the nominations in the entertainment categories really do show the dearth of comedy shows that aren't either scripted sitcom/comedy dramas or panel shows.

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2021, 10:43:13 AM »
There is a best podcast category.

That's nice innit Andy?

dr beat

• QUO ARE NOT F*****G REPETITIVE!
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2021, 10:55:17 AM »
No mention of Liam Williams in there.  I guess Pls Like might not be recent enough to qualify, but Ladhood surely deserved inclusion.

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2021, 10:57:19 AM »
I am surprised Cold Lasagne isn't in the stand-up category but maybe it is too old

Malcy

• This is a Post Office isn't it?
    • Twitter
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2021, 07:47:59 PM »
We should have CAB Awards at the end of every year. I know there's often favourite things of the year threads but surely we could cobble some sort of daft thing together.

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2021, 08:22:08 PM »
And the award for favourite Wanking Thread 2021, goes to....

rue the polywhirl

• eight lives left
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2021, 08:45:57 PM »
Nominees for best Comedy Chat thread - Glinner Thread VII, Glinner Thread VIII, Glinner Thread IX, Glinner Thread XII...

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2021, 09:19:25 PM »
^ Best thread name would be very competitive.

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2021, 10:31:52 PM »
It's good in a public vote to list pretty much every show and a lot of performers, with 20 or 30 noms for most categories, rather than force people to pick from your tiny shortlist ("pick the single of the year from this list of 6 identical pop-R&B tracks"). There are some good shows in there (Taskmaster, Alma's Not Normal, Feel Good, etc) even if a lot of it is identikit filler that's not even obnoxiously bad.

I think I’m right in saying that these noms are essentially longlists, and the top four from each category will make up the shortlists which’ll go to another public vote. So we’ll still end up with Gervais and Jimmy Carr winning everything because they’ve got bigger audiences than Poppy Hillstead and Sophie Duker.

icehaven

• WORLD'S BIGGEST RIP OFF: $100 PER PERSON
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2021, 08:48:17 AM »
Might be my computer but I keep getting the bad gateway page.

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2021, 09:14:03 AM »
Might be my computer but I keep getting the bad gateway page.

I just think it means your computer has evolved a sense of propriety.

Tags: