Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:39:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Home Sweet Home Alone (2021)

Started by Dusty Substance, October 12, 2021, 06:01:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I only watched the original film last year, so remaking it isn't an unpardonable sin to me and I like the cast in other stuff. Yeah though, that trailer was not promising.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: SteveDave on October 13, 2021, 07:40:24 AM
Is Macauley Culkin in it?

I was hoping he'd be in it as the father, but his name isn't in the cast list on imdb so I guess he isn't in it.

Wiki (assuming it's not been vandalised) also tells me he legally changed his middle name to "Macaulay Culkin" in 2018, so his name is now Macaulay Macaulay Culkin Culkin.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on October 13, 2021, 11:42:01 AM
Aye I'm being overly sensitive admittedly, but how I took it was that it would have been just as easy to write "a bunch of comedians" instead of writing "a bunch of UK/US comedians" and then listing some Americans and one other person who's not from a UK country, as if to hoover up someone with close enough proximity to the UK like 'UK comedian' was more worthy. I apologise for that end of it.

However, it remains a point of contention for me when Irish people are credited as British and this is close enough to that.

I'm not sure the "known for UK work" argument holds water either as I can't see Rich Hall or Reg Hunter being described as a UK comedian because they work here. They're American comedians. Aisling Bea is an Irish comedian.

Should have written 'US/European comedians'.

Gulftastic

I've not seen Jo Jo Rabbit. Is the kid any kind of likeable in that, because he seems a right annoying little git in the trailer.

phantom_power

Quote from: gilbertharding on October 13, 2021, 09:45:41 AM
Everyone's going on about Bea's "English accent" after watching the trailer... but to me the nine or ten words you actually hear her say in the trailer sound as Irish as she normally does.

But yeah - this will be utterly shit, and deserves to bomb.

Which Christmas was it supposed to be released for, by the way?

It is a Disney+ film isn't it? So I am not sure whether the concept of bombing exists in that context. It certainly won't be a public bombing anyway

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on October 13, 2021, 11:42:01 AM
I can't see Rich Hall or Reg Hunter being described as a UK comedian
Yes, they'd have to be funny to have that description! Boom! Roasted you boring assholes!

gilbertharding

Quote from: phantom_power on October 13, 2021, 02:44:10 PM
It is a Disney+ film isn't it? So I am not sure whether the concept of bombing exists in that context. It certainly won't be a public bombing anyway

Ah right - I get ya.

Anyway - I've changed my mind. It's a kid's film, isn't it? Perhaps the kids will like it. They won't know that they're only supposed to like the original, will they?

Captain Z

Quote from: gilbertharding on October 13, 2021, 09:45:41 AM
Everyone's going on about Bea's "English accent" after watching the trailer... but to me the nine or ten words you actually hear her say in the trailer sound as Irish as she normally does.

The first time she appears in the trailer, yes. But the sudden appearance of an unnatural English accent in the second appearance really jarred for me. I assumed maybe it was part of the plot, but no, she is doing the same accent in a later clip too.

Custard

Going "exclusively" to Disney+ is the modern equivalent of their shitty direct-to-DVD films from the past few years

This looks atrocious, but it'll be largely forgotten about within a few months

State of the film title

frajer

Just watched that trailer and it's given me a big chuckle. Haha christ, what an absolute turd.

Replies From View

"I made  my family disappear.... I made my family disappear!!"

"They don't even know I'm here..... they don't even know I'm here!!"

In real life, why would this scenario yield such identical responses every time?  Is it really so hard to imagine that different people being left home alone might actually have a unique spin on the situation?  Why does it always have to be the exact same?  There's already a perfectly serviceable beat for beat retread of Home Alone - it's called Home Alone 2, and it at least had a modicum of self-awareness that it was a remake. 

Also, I'm confused about how this film can make any money as such, since it's on Disney Plus rather than theatrical release, so what's the point of this film?

Replies From View

Quote from: Gulftastic on October 13, 2021, 02:39:43 PM
I've not seen Jo Jo Rabbit. Is the kid any kind of likeable in that, because he seems a right annoying little git in the trailer.

Yeah he's very good.  If you'd told me he was going to appear in a remake of Home Alone without showing me this trailer, I'd have said he was a good pick.  But he's plainly offering nothing of this in the clips we can see.

Mister Six

He's cute in that, but also in a relatively small role in which his apparently limited abilities are fairly well catered to. Or Taika Waititi is just much better at directing him than whoever's helming this.

Why does the Irish woman suddenly start doing weird things to her vowels half way through the trailer? Is the actually supposed to be an English character, or is that just how her voice sounds?

I really like Ellie Kemper and I don't want to see her or Rob Delaney hurt. Wonder if they're being portrayed as kind of sympathetic so they can be redeemed in Christmassy fashion at the end, rather than battered with a snow shovel by an elderly man?

Replies From View

Quote from: Captain Z on October 13, 2021, 03:10:44 PM
The first time she appears in the trailer, yes. But the sudden appearance of an unnatural English accent in the second appearance really jarred for me. I assumed maybe it was part of the plot, but no, she is doing the same accent in a later clip too.

They can advertise her acting as "like Richard Attenborough in Jurassic Park".

phantom_power

Quote from: Replies From View on October 13, 2021, 05:33:37 PM

Also, I'm confused about how this film can make any money as such, since it's on Disney Plus rather than theatrical release, so what's the point of this film?

It is the same as Netflix and Amazon originals. It is about attracting and maintaining subscriptions with a growing and changing catalogue of films I presume, plus they might sell them on to other markets

kalowski

Quote from: phantom_power on October 13, 2021, 06:04:30 PM
It is the same as Netflix and Amazon originals. It is about attracting and maintaining subscriptions with a growing and changing catalogue of films I presume, plus they might sell them on to other markets
"Sustaining and maintaining our core listenership in an increasingly fragmented marketplace"

mothman

Quote from: bgmnts on October 12, 2021, 08:30:33 PM
Tramp will be a black guy.
The burglars will be women.

Ummmm the family will all be multi ethnic and mostly lgbt+ and the Kevin charafter will be ostracised not for being the runt of the litter but for being a straight white male.

More like, Woke Alone, amirite?

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

That kid in the trailer is fucking annoying . The way he says " yes I do" in that mini- John Oliver way at the end of the trailer makes me want Rob Delaney to get up, dust himself off uninjured , and proceed to beat the shit out of the little cunt. Then The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt  enters the scene , saying " Hey let me in on some of this action", and joins in with twatting the  twat. The camera pans back to the upstairs bedroom, and,in a homage to " Salo" , we see the modern day Macaulay Culkin, a satisfied smile spreading across  his now nearly 40 year old features ( FUCKING HELL), observing the whole scene through a pair of opera glasses.

up_the_hampipe

The kid was actually great in Jojo Rabbit, so it's bizarre that he seems almost the antithesis of funny in this trailer, delivery and all.

How has Aisling Bea consistently managed to fall upwards in her career?

touchingcloth

Quote from: thecuriousorange on October 13, 2021, 06:24:39 AM
I genuinely forget that they are two different people, rather than one.

Phew, not just me, then. I like them both, but they terrify me. Ooooh, scary Irish women.

popcorn

can't imagine Michael Jackson fancying this kid at all. charmless.

phantom_power

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on October 13, 2021, 11:05:07 PM

How has Aisling Bea consistently managed to fall upwards in her career?

Have you seen This Way Up? It is by far the best use of her talents I have seen and she is a likeable and funny screen presence. I imagine she is fun and easy to work with as well, which will always stand you in good stead in a business full of arseholes

druss

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on October 13, 2021, 10:34:58 PM
That kid in the trailer is fucking annoying . The way he says " yes I do" in that mini- John Oliver way at the end of the trailer makes me want Rob Delaney to get up, dust himself off uninjured , and proceed to beat the shit out of the little cunt. Then The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt  enters the scene , saying " Hey let me in on some of this action", and joins in with twatting the  twat. The camera pans back to the upstairs bedroom, and,in a homage to " Salo" , we see the modern day Macaulay Culkin, a satisfied smile spreading across  his now nearly 40 year old features ( FUCKING HELL), observing the whole scene through a pair of opera glasses.
Having a classic movie twist of ultra comic violence directed towards the kid could potentially save this film.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Actually, Macaulay Culkin is 41. I mean, it would be a bit weird if he wasn't that age nowadays, but still....

Obel

They should do a realistic Home Alone where the kid ends up drinking toilet duck once everything else in the house runs out and the family get home to find his bloated stinking corpse.

imitationleather

Why doesn't Aisling Bea just use her mobile phone to ring the local police where they live, or one of their neighbours, or put an appeal on Facebook or something?

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I saw Macaulay Culkin at Eurodisney in 1992. He'd just been on The Small World ride and he looked really bored.

gilbertharding

Dusty Substance

Quote from: imitationleather on October 14, 2021, 01:51:30 PM
Why doesn't Aisling Bea just use her mobile phone to ring the local police where they live, or one of their neighbours, or put an appeal on Facebook or something?

There's going to be some incredible plot contrivances to explain these inevitable questions.

Mister Six

Incredible plot contrivances constitute the first 20 minutes or so of Home Alone 1, so that'd be pretty on-brand.