Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:32:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Home Sweet Home Alone (2021)

Started by Dusty Substance, October 12, 2021, 06:01:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Mister Six on October 14, 2021, 04:39:12 PM
Incredible plot contrivances constitute the first 20 minutes or so of Home Alone 1, so that'd be pretty on-brand.

Yes, in the first one I'd been wondering why his mom didn't simply phone home rather than phoning a string of police people and getting nowhere, but it was on the other day and this time I noticed a guy from the phone company say that the phone would be out for the next two days.  The reason in this new film will have to be more convoluted.

Custard

Imagine spending months of your life working on this thing, whilst knowing, for certain, that the original film is 4000 times better

Prime deso

Cuellar

Replies From View

Isn't this the sixth Home Alone film, as well?

Bonkers really.  It's not a new story, a new interesting slant on the theme, or even any kind of progression in terms of increased absurdity or anything.  Each film is just a limp repetition, the same jokes, the same wink to camera "oh this has happened before, lol" yet making nothing of the fact it has happened before.  The paucity of scope annoys me, to be honest.

Terminator has reached 6 films but all the sequels after the second one are fascinating in their different efforts and their failings and their rubbishness.  Other franchises like, I don't know, Nightmare on Elm Street got more and more cartoony and silly as time went on, so that's something to talk about as well.  How can Home Alone - which I'm sure you'll agree perfectly fits in the same category as Terminator and Nightmare on Elm Street - just keep retreading the same ground?  It's a nothing franchise.  There is nothing to latch onto and discuss.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Shameless Custard on October 15, 2021, 10:48:20 AM
Imagine spending months of your life working on this thing, whilst knowing, for certain, that the original film is 4000 times better

Prime deso

I'd be happy with that. Most jobs I've worked have been thousands of times worse than the film Home Alone

Come to think of it have I ever bettered the film Home Alone in the work place? Maybe a couple of times

Replies From View

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on October 16, 2021, 11:26:32 AM
I'd be happy with that. Most jobs I've worked have been thousands of times worse than the film Home Alone

Come to think of it have I ever bettered the film Home Alone in the work place? Maybe a couple of times

There you go:  Work Alone

You didn't need to try there and you've come up with an entirely new spin.  Depressing manchild accidentally locked into his office job over the Christmas break needs to protect his boss's wealth and stature by installing booby traps against a pair of cartoon bandits in woolly hats.  Will he manage:  find out in cinemas this June.

bgmnts

Offy Alone.

Depressing shopkeeper accidentally locked in his own off-licence over the Christmas break and needs to protect his stock and till by installing booby traps against a pair of cartoon bandits in woolly hats.  Will he manage:  find out in cinemas this June.

Replies From View

Stand Alone

directed by Wes Anderson, no correlation with the rest of the Home Alone multiverse.  still good though

Replies From View

Actually it's starting to annoy me now that Home isn't a verb.  Well it is, but Kevin McAllister was never a pigeon, unless there was a deleted scene from Home Alone 2 to the contrary

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Replies From View on October 16, 2021, 10:37:20 AM
Bonkers really.  It's not a new story, a new interesting slant on the theme, or even any kind of progression in terms of increased absurdity or anything.  Each film is just a limp repetition.
I don't know. One of the sequels took things to a disturbing but inevitable conclusion.

They should do one in which Kevin grows up and changes his name to John McClane.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Shameless Custard on October 15, 2021, 10:48:20 AM

Prime deso

But isn't most showbiz like this? A Wednesday episode of soap opera Days of Our Lives or an orange juice advertisement for radio Norfolk. Also depends where you are in your career. I imagine Tom Cruise wouldn't be happy doing this new Home Alone but I'd guess Aisling Bee is thrilled to get a feature film.

Sebastian Cobb

can't tell if the kid reminds me of Tom Watson or Rolan from Grange Hill

Replies From View

why would tom cruise not want to do this

popcorn

Quote from: Replies From View on October 16, 2021, 11:56:23 AM
Actually it's starting to annoy me now that Home isn't a verb.  Well it is, but Kevin McAllister was never a pigeon, unless there was a deleted scene from Home Alone 2 to the contrary

It means to give someone a home and that is what Kevin does, for himself, while alone. so makes sense imo.

Replies From View

Quote from: popcorn on October 16, 2021, 01:17:32 PM
It means to give someone a home and that is what Kevin does, for himself, while alone. so makes sense imo.

So the title of the film should be Homing Himself, Alone?

He doesn't home himself, though.  He already has that home before the film starts.  A film called Home Alone should at the bare minimum be about an 8 year old sitting in an estate agents by himself.

popcorn

Look at that "second" tagline, "Holiday classics were meant to be broken"

What a riddle! Is it kind of saying "ha ha, we fucked up this film you like"? I don't understand what it means to "break" a "holiday classic", is there some pun here that is eluding me

Replies From View

They probably mean something like Christmas is supposed to turn shit due to a terrible film.  Which is correct.

checkoutgirl

Home Alone 1990 vs. Home Sweet Home Alone 2021                                                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HK0OUqExR7c

frajer

Quote from: popcorn on October 16, 2021, 01:20:10 PM

Look at that "second" tagline, "Holiday classics were meant to be broken"

What a riddle! Is it kind of saying "ha ha, we fucked up this film you like"? I don't understand what it means to "break" a "holiday classic", is there some pun here that is eluding me

I think the tortured logic at work is "rules were made to be broken" and the "rule" is you shouldn't remake a beloved holiday classic?

I know this is shit and doesn't make sense but I don't think this stopped them.

Replies From View

It doesn't make sense because it's the sixth film in the Home Alone franchise (assuming Bone Alone isn't canon) and every single one of the sequels was already a barely-veiled remake of the first.

I'm actually getting a headache trying to wrap my head around what they might think they are doing.

imitationleather

Quote from: Replies From View on October 16, 2021, 02:19:55 PM
It doesn't make sense because it's the sixth film in the Home Alone franchise (assuming Bone Alone isn't canon) and every single one of the sequels was already a barely-veiled remake of the first.

I'm actually getting a headache trying to wrap my head around what they might think they are doing.

Probably thinking that a lot of kids won't watch a film if it's over five years old.

Jerzy Bondov

Sorry but the different Home Alone films are not just the same thing over and over.
Home Alone - he's alone at home
Home Alone 2: Lost in New York - he's not at home, instead he is lost in New York
Home Alone 3 - different kid and there's three burglars and they're spies not burglars
Home Alone 4 - house has a robot butler
Home Alone: The Holiday Heist - this time it is set during a holiday and there is a heist, ie people trying to nick stuff

imitationleather

All the Honey I Shrunk the Kids sequels are just them making different people smaller or bigger. Come up with something else!

frajer

Honey I Maintained the Kids' Mass

Tagline: ok now get them ready for bed.

imitationleather

All the Star Wars sequels are about some pricks in space or something I dunno I've never seen them.

popcorn

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on October 16, 2021, 02:25:28 PM
Sorry but the different Home Alone films are not just the same thing over and over.
Home Alone - he's alone at home
Home Alone 2: Lost in New York - he's not at home, instead he is lost in New York
Home Alone 3 - different kid and there's three burglars and they're spies not burglars
Home Alone 4 - house has a robot butler
Home Alone: The Holiday Heist - this time it is set during a holiday and there is a heist, ie people trying to nick stuff

please do not forget

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: popcorn on October 16, 2021, 02:41:55 PM
please do not forget

i can only assume the villain in this one is i*n a*stin

Jerzy Bondov

I've seen Bone Alone. The dog is never actually left alone at home.

McChesney Duntz

It says something about me that I thought Bone Alone was a very different movie than it apparently actually is. (Unless this was the film that got Stephen Kish fired from CBBC.)

thenoise

Home A-learn
Annoying kid is forced to do his schooling at home over zoom due to the Pingdemic. With hilarious consequences!

Homo Alone
Kevin experience mysterious stirrings in his loins whilst thumbing through his big brother's copy of Men's Health while his parents are out shopping. Later he watches a musical and genuinely enjoys it. With hilarious consequences!

Hone Alone
Kevin retreats to his bedroom and spends an impressive amount of time perfecting a new skill. With hilarious consequences!