Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 10:00:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Home Sweet Home Alone (2021)

Started by Dusty Substance, October 12, 2021, 06:01:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replies From View

Quote from: imitationleather on October 16, 2021, 02:27:33 PM
All the Honey I Shrunk the Kids sequels are just them making different people smaller or bigger. Come up with something else!

I remember seeing Honey I Blew Up The Kid at the cinema and boy was I disappointed.  Still haven't gotten over it.

Learned about the third one when I was in MVC and read the back of the video tape.  "A film so great you won't see it in cinemas!" or something, it said.  I don't think I've seen it all the way through; tried watching it online a couple of years ago and it was as shocking as you'd expect, but not bad enough that it became good.  Just a waste of time and I gave up.

How they managed to stretch the concept to several episodes of a TV series I'll never know.

popcorn

Replies From View

With Honey I Shrunk The Kids reboots they could explore shrinking people to different heights instead of all so tiny that they immediately go in a bin bag and get lost in the garden.  Put husbands/wives etc as incompatible sizes, for a start, to immediately disconcert them in the bedroom.  That's the first task.  Next, have everyone lined up from smallest to biggest and recreate that weird increased-size domino thing that Corridor Crew did.

It's not fucking difficult is it.  Just riffing here and that's two brilliant brand new ideas already

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Replies From View on October 16, 2021, 04:33:41 PM
I remember seeing Honey I Blew Up The Kid at the cinema and boy was I disappointed.  Still haven't gotten over it.

Learned about the third one when I was in MVC and read the back of the video tape.  "A film so great you won't see it in cinemas!" or something, it said.  I don't think I've seen it all the way through; tried watching it online a couple of years ago and it was as shocking as you'd expect, but not bad enough that it became good.  Just a waste of time and I gave up.

How they managed to stretch the concept to several episodes of a TV series I'll never know.

there was a lot of that back then.

The wrung out Look Whose Talking to the point it was the pets.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Home Loan - Kevin gets a mortgage.

"only on disney plus"
is that a promise?

Replies From View

Mister Six

Quote from: imitationleather on October 16, 2021, 02:23:36 PM
Probably thinking that a lot of kids won't watch a film if it's over five years old.

Not even that - just going down a list of all the titles they own and saying, "Okay, do this one again," then handing it to some journeyman crew to get it sorted with the minimum financial outlay.

imitationleather

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on October 16, 2021, 07:30:24 PM
Home Loan - Kevin gets a mortgage.

Considering he was born after 1980 I guess I'll find that one in the Fantasy aisle then!!!!

Replies From View

Born into wealth - he'll find it pimpsy.  Probably won't need a loan to be honest - maybe that's why it won't make sense.

SteveDave

In 2016 (according to my Facebook Memories) I dreamt a gritty sequel/reboot of "Home Alone"

Kevin McAllister (Macauley Culkin) is arrested and put in gaol for parole violation and his kids have to defend their trailer home against a predatory paedophile.

Replies From View

Quote from: SteveDave on October 21, 2021, 03:47:59 PM
In 2016 (according to my Facebook Memories) I dreamt a gritty sequel/reboot of "Home Alone"

Kevin McAllister (Macauley Culkin) is arrested and put in gaol for parole violation and his kids have to defend their trailer home against a predatory paedophile who is secretly Kevin McAllister (also Macauley Culkin) in disguise.  At the end he takes his fake beard off and they all laugh like the end of Thundercats.

Including a couple of details you forgot

Haha, that reminds me of this kid in my street, when he used to play "he-man", he'd include that, like they'd be hitting each other with plastic swords one minute and then he'd say some shit joke, stand with his fists on his hips and throw his head back and do a forced laugh, elbowing his brother in the ribs and telling him to copy what he was doing.

Replies From View

I'd have elbowed him in the ribs back and said "what, you told me to copy you".  Because I am so clever and always have been

Chollis

Replies From View

I want a telepod to genetically fuse him with somebody else's foreskin

Blumf

BritishHobo

I watched about twenty minutes of this, and it's so wonky it feels like they've chopped a load out in the editing suite.
Spoiler alert
Kevin 2 goes and sits in a car in the afternoon, then we see a load of scenes with Delaney and Kemper, then when it goes backto Kevin 2, it's the next morning, and his mum has already gone and gotten off the plane off-screen.
[close]
What?

mothman

colacentral

The thing that's good about the original Home Alone isn't even the burglars, it's the first two thirds of the film where it's getting to know the family (the dozen or so siblings; ordering the pizza etc), then the idea of "be careful what you wish for" with Kevin loving the idea of getting the house to himself then feeling increasingly lonely and scared. Once the burglars try to break in, it's crap, but that's about 20 minutes from the end.

To an extent, it's the same with the sequel, with the fun wish fulfilment of being left alone in the Plaza Hotel in New York with someone else's credit card.

I think it's odd that the thing the franchise is known for is the thing that feels most like an after thought in the original concept. It's like if the original Terminator was mostly a fish out of water drama about a guy who wants to live in the past when he perceives life to have been better but becoming increasingly disillusioned, then 20 minutes from the end he realises a robot has followed him back to kill him.

popcorn

Yes, I think that's a true observation. I sort of feel that way about superhero movies too - the main event is ostensibly the big punchup finale but I suspect, if you could track how entertained the average person is through the whole film, it would peak in the first half when the hero is getting their powers for the first time and mucking about. I often think teaching audiences (about characters, situations, problems etc) is often the most interesting thing a story can do.

BritishHobo

Quote from: colacentral on November 12, 2021, 09:22:15 PM
The thing that's good about the original Home Alone isn't even the burglars, it's the first two thirds of the film where it's getting to know the family (the dozen or so siblings; ordering the pizza etc), then the idea of "be careful what you wish for" with Kevin loving the idea of getting the house to himself then feeling increasingly lonely and scared. Once the burglars try to break in, it's crap, but that's about 20 minutes from the end.

To an extent, it's the same with the sequel, with the fun wish fulfilment of being left alone in the Plaza Hotel in New York with someone else's credit card.

I think it's odd that the thing the franchise is known for is the thing that feels most like an after thought in the original concept. It's like if the original Terminator was mostly a fish out of water drama about a guy who wants to live in the past when he perceives life to have been better but becoming increasingly disillusioned, then 20 minutes from the end he realises a robot has followed him back to kill him.

It feels extra odd that they cast Pete Holmes and Andy Daly as irritating members of the family, and then the big introductory scene at their house, they get nothing to do. You don't get a sense of Kevin 2's relationship with his siblings (apart from the sister who inexplicably calls him a pervert), it's unclear who his dad is, or if he even has a dad. There's no real sense of how Kevin 2 even feels about the family, or his place in it, beyond that they're being a bit loud.

As you say, the original does so well at establishing the thing a lot of kids probably empathised with, which is Kevin feeling ignored and belittled because he's tiny and everyone else is big and they don't think his opinions or desires are worth anything. They didn't have to go for identical characterisation, but they should have given something. Instead the house is a bit loud so he goes and watches TV in the car, and then everyone just leaves.

George White

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on October 13, 2021, 11:05:07 PM
The kid was actually great in Jojo Rabbit, so it's bizarre that he seems almost the antithesis of funny in this trailer, delivery and all.

How has Aisling Bea consistently managed to fall upwards in her career?
One word -RTE.

See also Oliver Callan, Mario Rosenstock, David McSavage, Al Porter (who is returning to panto despite being outed as a sex pest)....

Magnum Valentino

Can you clarify this a bit please? Seems interesting.

George White

A lot of mediocre Irish comedians somehow get big contracts with RTE, despite seeming audience apathy.
See also Amy Huberman's sitcom Finding Joy, the Two Johnnies....

Magnum Valentino

David McSavage seemed like an especially unpleasant cunt, but his Time Travellers sketch is less than a minute long and truly perfect

George White

"An unpleasant" is the perfect description of him. I've met him, and I do like some of his material, and he actually liked me, and he liked my ideas, but I found him possibly the most bitter person I've ever met.
I got the impression that he had basically alienated all his friends and colleagues and supporters, and was also really difficult to interview. You kept having to prod him, and he was full of contempt. I was saying how I had seen him in Robot Overlords, a rather naff Tripods-via-CFF kidflick with Gillian Anderson and Sir Ben Kingsley, and he just talked about how shit it was.
I get the impression that he is like a particularly dangerous Christmas decoration - all jagged edges and nothing else.

Catalogue Trousers

Well, the first Home Alone was fucking shit, and so was the second. Come to that, so was the third. And the fourth.

So, with a bit of luck...this one might be some good? Law of averages, an' all that cal.

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: George White on November 13, 2021, 08:02:29 PM
"An unpleasant" is the perfect description of him. I've met him, and I do like some of his material, and he actually liked me, and he liked my ideas, but I found him possibly the most bitter person I've ever met.
I got the impression that he had basically alienated all his friends and colleagues and supporters, and was also really difficult to interview. You kept having to prod him, and he was full of contempt. I was saying how I had seen him in Robot Overlords, a rather naff Tripods-via-CFF kidflick with Gillian Anderson and Sir Ben Kingsley, and he just talked about how shit it was.
I get the impression that he is like a particularly dangerous Christmas decoration - all jagged edges and nothing else.

Aye his sketches impersonating that lad Hector were just witless nastiness.

For those of you who've seen this - is Bea Irish or English in it after all?

George White

I seem to remember Hector then on his show hosted an episode in-character as the version of him played by McSavage, shouting "Rahoo! Rahoo! Rahoo!"
He took it in good humour, obviously.

And I found McSavage's All Ireland Talent Show parody quite spot-on, which was actually hosted by Aisling Bea doing her Seoige. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBRWckUDV30