Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:44:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Oh fuck - redundancy

Started by Brian Freeze, October 13, 2021, 01:01:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian Freeze

Shitting it lads to be honest, its happened before but Ive got a family to feed now. Have had some daft and unhelpful ideas and will not follow through but didnt like em one bit.

When I faced redundancy a couple of years back I started applying for every relevant job I could. If your redundancy package is good you might have more time to find your next job to support your family, but if not it feels like an amazing weight off your mind if you get something else lined up to keep the money coming in as quick as possible. Having that job hunt as the focus helps your deal more with the what will the future hold thoughts because you're living in the moment.

If you're the breadwinner, then there is a lot of pressure on you. It's OK to be bloody scared. But change can lead to opportunity and you might find yourself in a better place.

checkoutgirl

I got redundant at end of June after 7 years with the company. Best time of my life. But I have no kids or responsibilities. Feel bad for anyone who has.

Good luck.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Brian Freeze on October 13, 2021, 01:01:11 AM
Shitting it lads to be honest, its happened before but Ive got a family to feed now. Have had some daft and unhelpful ideas and will not follow through but didnt like em one bit.

Yep could be an opportunity; I was made redundant a couple of years ago I started lining something up before I left despite getting a good redundancy payment; almost immediately got another job and then ended up back  part-time (well ish they offered me a paid PhD) at my old employer within a year - bit of strange one with me but as I'd say with all employment things; be proactive and remember you are a commodity that employers want, they are not giving you a job you are deciding to work for them. 

Must be very stressful with a family to consider so make sure you are being good to yourself.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

"Hi guys so how are we doing today, some bread and olives for the table? I'll be over with the universal credit forms in a sec, hang tight guys'

Butchers Blind

shiftwork2

My own experience of redundancy was positive in the end.  It seemed like a calamity initially but over weeks and then months I began to see something better coming towards me.  That's it really, what seems insurmountable and impossible now will not always be that way.

Tony Tony Tony

This might not apply to you but have you got an Amazon warehouse, sorry fulfillment centre nearby?

As an absolute last resort they can fill a gap whilst you hunt for a 'proper' job. It's coming up to what Amazon calls 'peak' where they hire heaps of extra staff to cover upcoming Xmas demand.

The job is soul destroying but needs must when the Devil drives. They hire and fire seemingly on a whim, I worked there a couple of years ago and lasted about thre months on nights which pays a premium. You meet some interesting people and the best thing about working there is you will be glad when it's over.

Good luck whatever you do though.

Twit 2

Redundancy? Little Lord Fauntleroy with his redundancy! Living the dream! I walked out on my career with a mortgage to pay and family to support and no job on the horizon and I'm still unemployed and running out of money at a terrifying rate. Would kill to be redundant, to be a nothing, to be a speck. Paid off to fuck off. Ta, Bossman! Even for a quid and a kick into the mire. Beautiful. Suck on your gorgeous, plumpy redundancy, gargle it, spit it up into the air so it lands with a smack on your redundant face. I'll just be down here, grovelling in the shite like a worm.

Best of luck job hunting! Alright cheers.

bgmnts

Get onto universal credit and apply for all the benefits you can whilst waiting for a new job I would say.

Fr.Bigley

Use the redundancy package to purchase drugs, then cut the drugs by half with some form of cutting agent, then sell the drugs. Doubled your money. Simple.

Buelligan

Obviously getting another paying job, even if it's not something you relish, just money coming in, is the primary - you can keep looking then for something better.  And remember, keep your head in the now.  Gaming out future disasters can be debilitating, fucks up your sleep and everything.  My advice is, use your energy to create the best now you can.  Your best now is also your best option and pathway towards positive future.  Big hugs, old sport.

Brian Freeze

Quote from: Twit 2 on October 13, 2021, 09:54:23 AM
Redundancy? Little Lord Fauntleroy with his redundancy! Living the dream! I walked out on my career with a mortgage to pay and family to support and no job on the horizon and I'm still unemployed and running out of money at a terrifying rate. Would kill to be redundant, to be a nothing, to be a speck. Paid off to fuck off. Ta, Bossman! Even for a quid and a kick into the mire. Beautiful. Suck on your gorgeous, plumpy redundancy, gargle it, spit it up into the air so it lands with a smack on your redundant face. I'll just be down here, grovelling in the shite like a worm.

Best of luck job hunting! Alright cheers.

Can you lend me a tenner until my money comes through?

Brian Freeze

Cheers all. Good luck to you too Twit2.

The recriminations and bitching has started now the shock has worn off. Hopefully can keep busy, with headphones in for the most part and ignore most of it

Best bloody job I ever had though.

imitationleather

Why don't you just get a job?

Couldn't you just go round someone's house and clean up? Then ask for money for it?

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: Hound Of The Basketballs on October 13, 2021, 11:58:44 AM
Couldn't you just go round someone's house and clean up? Then ask for money for it?

Yeah they could do that, it's a bit demeaning but yeah.

Buelligan

Fr.Bigley

Icehaven

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on October 13, 2021, 09:47:30 AM
This might not apply to you but have you got an Amazon warehouse, sorry fulfillment centre nearby?

As an absolute last resort they can fill a gap whilst you hunt for a 'proper' job. It's coming up to what Amazon calls 'peak' where they hire heaps of extra staff to cover upcoming Xmas demand.

The job is soul destroying but needs must when the Devil drives. They hire and fire seemingly on a whim, I worked there a couple of years ago and lasted about thre months on nights which pays a premium. You meet some interesting people and the best thing about working there is you will be glad when it's over.

Amazon workhouse.

gib

yeah fuck amazon, get on the xmas mail sorting, that'll see you through until january and it's basically being paid to do light exercise while listening to podcasts

wooders1978

Been made redundant twice in the last 11 years and both times have been fortunate to be relieved from what had become awful working conditions to a newer better job, in my last company a great many people went onto bigger and better things and just had a big weight of their shoulders  - it's not necessarily the death sentence it seems

My advice
1) don't immediately panic, weigh up your finances, reign in the fat and your money will go much further than you think
2) avoid taking a mortgage holiday if you can
3) don't just take the first job you're offered unless it happens to be one you quite fancy
4) interview for ones you don't really want as practice
5) update your LinkedIn but don't do the "open to work" shit - it looks really desperate and a bit pathetic

mothman

Sorry to hear that BF, and good luck. Wooders's sounds like good advice.

Given all these millions of vacancies the press are crowing about, I'd be interested to know whether that is translating into actually easily-obtainable desirable decently-remunerated jobs.

Glebe

Sorry to hear it BF. Hope all works out okay.

Brian Freeze

Three weeks later and its all still up in the air. Quite chilled about it all now, most of the time.

But . . . . .

there is an incredible rumour, and I call it incredible instead of bullshit, going round that its all a ruse by the parent company to get rid of the deadwood in the management team.

Horseshit innit?

Massive multinational multibillion companies dont behave like that do they as an easy way to get rid of some upper management that have been here a few years?

Fr.Bigley

Take the redundancy, buy a campervan, become a tiktoker, do a cover of "Island boys" and forget about your shitty career in middle management.

bgmnts

Pretty much mutually decided to end my time with the council after 6 weeks due to the mistakes and lack of attention to detail, and stay on until a suitable replacement is found.

Gutted I won't have income but half relieved I won't have to deal with the stress of being shit anymore.

Emma Raducanu

Get a job working in a kitchen. I think literally every kitchen in the country needs staff; they're paying relatively well at the moment, you don't need to interview and you don't even need experience in most cases. Demand Christmas week off and the job is yours.

Quote from: Brian Freeze on November 05, 2021, 01:57:17 AM
Massive multinational multibillion companies dont behave like that do they as an easy way to get rid of some upper management that have been here a few years?

You'd be surprised. My auntie was made redundant from the same company four times, the first three because of changes of premises, process and/or management. Someone would look at their department, not really understand the point and let them all go, only to panic once they realised a) they had nobody to perform the function and b) it would take months to build the department back up from scratch. The final time was when they closed down their UK operations. She still jokes that she's expecting a phone call in German asking her to move over there.

On a similar note, my other half once worked for a company where they accidentally made the most experienced and productive staff redundant because someone fucked up the presentation of a spreadsheet. She only found out because of an eleventh hour panic meeting where they were told they could have a pay rise if they stayed. She'd already found a job with better money so told them to shove it.