Author Topic: Wikipedia book  (Read 537 times)

icehaven

• WORLD'S BIGGEST RIP OFF: $100 PER PERSON
Wikipedia book
« on: October 14, 2021, 02:10:13 PM »
One of the books I ordered for work has just arrived and it's literally a few Wikipedia articles printed out. Notes and references make up about half the pages (of which there's only about 70 anyway). It's supposed to be a history of Mumbai, so it's the Wikipedia entries for 'History of Mumbai', 'Mumbai' and 'India'. £9.99. I order hundreds of books every year and have never seen anything like this before, it's absolutely shameless. I've got in touch with our processing department to see if we can return it and I'm tempted to contact our suppliers to see if they're aware, and if so why the fuck are they selling them? I vaguely remember reading about something like this in Private Eye many years ago but I thought that was just through Amazon and I'm extremely surprised it's still happening. It's Bookvika publishing and LENNEX Corp. apparently so beware!

buttgammon

• Silver Member
  • No chicken or poultry in the flat
Re: Wikipedia book
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2021, 04:24:39 PM »
I’ve often seen things like this on Google Books and the like - they look like they’re more or less a scam. I’ve ordered some terrible print on demand copies of out-of-copyright books before but never anything like this, thankfully.

imitationleather

• "The French... are famous... for their kissing"
    • http://last.fm/user/ImiLeathr
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2021, 05:12:54 PM »
As I say whenever I hear of a scam: Wish I'd thought of doing that.

Midas

• 𝔇𝔬𝔫'𝔱 𝔯𝔢𝔞𝔡 𝔱𝔥𝔦𝔰 𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔱𝔢𝔫𝔠𝔢.
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2021, 07:48:50 PM »
I remember Wikipedia used to offer an online service where you could create custom print-on-demand books containing articles of your choice. Always wondered if anyone actually bothered with it!

EDIT: In fact, it looks like they still do it. I suspect it's not illegal to sell copies but it's a bit dubious.

touchingcloth

• such
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2021, 09:34:53 PM »
I’ll do you the history of Bombay for £9.59.

buttgammon

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2021, 10:26:01 PM »
Presumably, there's so little human input in these things that they will contain all of the errors, vandalism and [citation needed]s of an actual Wiki page.

Johnny Foreigner

• Aspiring to be a true Restoration Man
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2021, 10:34:02 PM »
I buy lots of centuries-old works via print-on-demand services, whose quality is inevitably highly unpredictable. The most annoying mistake, when a book has been mindlessly scanned via OCR, is that the old letter s is rendered as an f.

I have had mixed experiences with Forgotten Books. They sometimes make an effort to check whether their output is in any way legible, although they, too, did once copy an author's ‘biography’ from Wikipedia. It was a completely different person, who would have written the book several years after his death. Utter stupidity.

Jerzy Bondov

• best not bother
    • righto so ive got five minutes off work and uh yeah im gonna have a cheeky volvic
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2021, 03:24:21 PM »
I bought one of these when I worked in a library too. Fucking embarrassing, just hid it on my shelf until I left.

Inspector Norse

• Very much the Myspace of STDs
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2021, 06:01:26 PM »
Presumably, there's so little human input in these things that they will contain all of the errors, vandalism and [citation needed]s of an actual Wiki page.

I once set an assignment for a grade 6 (11-12 years old) class to write about different English-speaking countries. One of them turned in a piece on Ireland that was obviously lifted from Wikipedia, right down to having the [citation needed] after some lines.

What made it particularly noteworthy was that she'd written it out by hand.

buttgammon

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2021, 07:08:35 PM »
I once set an assignment for a grade 6 (11-12 years old) class to write about different English-speaking countries. One of them turned in a piece on Ireland that was obviously lifted from Wikipedia, right down to having the [citation needed] after some lines.

What made it particularly noteworthy was that she'd written it out by hand.

Haha! That's such a laborious form of copy and pasting.

Tags: