Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 12:54:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

London Film Festival 2021

Started by joaquin closet, October 15, 2021, 04:44:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joaquin closet

I've had a very nice time engaging with this for the first time.

Stuff I've seen:

The Velvet Underground dir. Todd Haynes
A great account of the 60's New York experimental art scene. God they were cool – until John Cale left, and then they weren't... at least that's what the film makes you think. Appreciated Haynes' decision not to make this an airing of dirty laundry type affair. Existing in this milieau must've been soo exciting/exhausting.

Titane dir. Julia Ducournau
Hiding to be safe, but this is just the premise –
Spoiler alert
A woman fucks a car and then gets pregnant
[close]
. Loved the first 30, which is fucking disgusting (as one might expect from the director of the excellent Raw (2016)). But then the film suddenly turns into an unconventional family drama, and I found that really boring. Plus the ending was a massive disappointment –
Spoiler alert
the baby's not even a car!
[close]
. :(

The Tender Bar dir. George Clooney
Only went 'cos I got free tickets from the BFI. Actually enjoyed it quite a bit. A very low-stakes autobiographical bildungsroman about a young guy from a lower middle class family in New York with aspirations of becoming a writer. Ben Affleck is the cool uncle who owns a bar/guides his development. Not much happens, but it's never less than agreeable. Quite funny in parts too.

The Power of the Dog dir. Jane Campion
Not sure I'd really call this a Western like many others have. Set in the West, sure, but there's not a whole lot of gunslingin' here. A psychodrama in the vein of Phantom Thread (2017), though not as good (but still pretty damn good). Cumberbatch (whom I usually find crap as an American) is brilliant, but Kodi Smit-McPhee is even better. Amazing ending.

Drive My Car dir. Ryusuke Hamaguchi
Been eager to see this 3-hour adaptation of a Murakami short story, I think because: a) I found Lee Chang-Dong's recent 3-hour adaptation of a Murakami short story Burning (2018) a very beguiling film (with an all-timer performance by Steven Yeun), and b) because I like saying this director's name. Sometimes you should trust your gut! Thought this was just great. Cannae really be arsed to explain the plot, it's not that relevant really. Some absolutely heart-stopping monologues, especially one delivered by a standout Masaki Okada.

Off to see the Joel Coen Macbeth on Sunday! Can't wait

mjwilson

I saw Spencer because of K Stew, and as you would expect she's the best thing about it. Not that the rest of it is bad, but there are things which feel a bit contrived and telling you the themes very loudly.
Spoiler alert
It's set over a three day visit to Sandringham where she has to spend time with a bunch of royal arseholes.
[close]

Small Man Big Horse

That's a shame about Titane, I loved Raw and had been looking forward to seeing it.

Amd I used to love going to the film festival pre-pandemic as well, especially as I was lucky enough to attend a few surprise Q&A's which hadn't been previously announced, but I'm still a little nervous about going to the cinema so will miss it again this year sadly.

SteveDave

Quote from: joaquin closet on October 15, 2021, 04:44:20 PM
I've had a very nice time engaging with this for the first time.

Stuff I've seen:

The Velvet Underground dir. Todd Haynes
A great account of the 60's New York experimental art scene. God they were cool – until John Cale left, and then they weren't... at least that's what the film makes you think. Appreciated Haynes' decision not to make this an airing of dirty laundry type affair. Existing in this milieau must've been soo exciting/exhausting.

I was confused why they didn't make Steve Sesnick the big bad putting a wedge between Lou and John and then Lou and Doug. Possibly it was because he's still alive?

But yes, being around the Warhol lot must've been fucking irritating and exciting at the same time. 

AngryGazelle

Really keen on watching Burning and pleased that there is another film by rhe same director to dive into afterwards. Of the two which do you prefer?

SweetPomPom

Made on our choices based on our availability and best guesses rather than all the things we wanted to see...

True Things
Wasted cast who did their best with very little and fuck knows why Jude Law leant in as a producer.

Belfast
Beautifully shot, bit slight considering the subject matter but tons of charm and the kid is good. Strangely paced ending,

The Phantom Of The Open
Simon Farnaby script based on true stuff and his book, nice and tight first half of comedy before a sweet family ending. Rylance is ace throughout despite being a dead ringer for Paul Whitehouse at regular intervals. Probably my fav of what we've seen.

Wild Indian
Too much slow burn and very unsympathetic lead character. Michael Greyeyes is very low key which drags it down a bit, 10 seconds of Jesse Eisenberg (Producer) makes you realise how flat the rest of it can become in brief but pointless scenes.

Gutted to be missing the Villeneuve night and the Edgar galas. The Coen Macbeth looks worth a shout too.

joaquin closet

Quote from: AngryGazelle on October 15, 2021, 10:12:24 PM
Really keen on watching Burning and pleased that there is another film by rhe same director to dive into afterwards. Of the two which do you prefer?

Different directors (Lee Chang-Dong and Ryusuke Hamaguchi), same source material author (Murakami).

In the moment I preferred Drive My Car, which doesn't feel it's length (whereas Burning does). But Burning really left its mark, gnawing away at my noggin for a long time post-viewing. Only saw Drive My Car yesterday, but I can't imagine it having that same staying power up there.

AngryGazelle

Quote from: joaquin closet on October 16, 2021, 12:51:54 AM
Different directors (Lee Chang-Dong and Ryusuke Hamaguchi), same source material author (Murakami).

In the moment I preferred Drive My Car, which doesn't feel it's length (whereas Burning does). But Burning really left its mark, gnawing away at my noggin for a long time post-viewing. Only saw Drive My Car yesterday, but I can't imagine it having that same staying power up there.

Ah, my mistake. Both look really interesting though. I've only read one Murakami book - Kafka on the shore - but I remember enjoying how surreal it was.

I'm really keen on going to the festival next year. What's the average price for tickets?

joaquin closet

Quote from: joaquin closet on October 15, 2021, 04:44:20 PM
Off to see the Joel Coen Macbeth on Sunday! Can't wait

Was a little disappointed by this. I knew it was going to be Macbeth, but, you know... it's Macbeth.

mjwilson

I enjoyed it (although I was a bit disconcerted to find that it was sold out and there was no social distancing).

Still, good to get a chance to see LFF stuff outside the capital, hopefully that will continue.

BritishHobo

I'm glad that I'm not alone in really really wanting Titane to end with
Spoiler alert
a little car leaping out and zooming around on the floor.
[close]