Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:28:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

A Nightmare On Elm Street (1984)

Started by Chedney Honks, October 16, 2021, 04:00:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glebe

Yeah the remake (directed by the guy who did the video for 'Smells Like Teen Spirit') was instantly forgettable.

New page nightmare twat.

I watched the remake tonight, and aye, it was dogshit. The main lass looks a lot like frodo. That was freaking me out.

I watched 5 last year and said

QuoteWas very tired the other night so I stuck this on to wind down.
I can't quite remember at which point I bailed off the Freddy train, but I had a fair few moments of deja vu so I may well have already watched it when I was younger.
It was really visually interesting at times and had some nice effects set pieces and I liked the score.
The people making it seemed far less interested in plot, dialogue, competent acting, all that boring stuff, they didn't let it get in the way of their fun.
It was alright, you can do a lot worse. I was very pleasantly surprised!

**½

A generous rating I think because it was so much better than I was expecting. I don't know if I've seen 4. Might watch that at some point.

Replies From View

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on October 16, 2021, 11:13:52 PM
I'd say part 5 was the nadir. Then part 6 managed to tunnel under it. The remake came along and said, "I wonder what's underneath that tunnel?"

And did it tunnel to find out?

Johnny Textface

There's a really good behind the scenes doc that looks at all the original films in detail. It's long but well worth it if you can find it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Never_Sleep_Again:_The_Elm_Street_Legacy

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: Johnny Textface on October 17, 2021, 07:52:08 AM
There's a really good behind the scenes doc that looks at all the original films in detail. It's long but well worth it if you can find it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Never_Sleep_Again:_The_Elm_Street_Legacy

It's on YouTube. It's seven and a half hours long! https://youtu.be/66fSV4gsiSM

AsparagusTrevor

I watched that documentary a few years ago but I'm sure it was only(!) about 4 or 5 hours long then. Is this some crazy extended version?

Replies From View

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on October 17, 2021, 08:48:54 AM
I watched that documentary a few years ago but I'm sure it was only(!) about 4 or 5 hours long then. Is this some crazy extended version?

Maybe they have slowed it down by a few percent to avoid the copyright bots?

Magnum Valentino

Deleted scenes probably added onto the end of it.

Famous Mortimer

I got the DVD of it with a poster signed by Heather Langenkamp, a few years back. It's pretty good.

phantom_power

I think all of the original films are watchable and fun. I get the later ones mixed up a bit as Freddie becomes more camp and ridiculous and the deaths get more Screaming Mad George-erific but at least they have something about them, which is lacking in the remake

Rev+

Quote from: JaDanketies on October 16, 2021, 08:37:11 PM
Freddie Kruger was definitely always a pedo. You're not supposed to like the guy!

He was supposed to be originally, but there was a high-profile court case that was ongoing when the first film was being made that they really didn't want people to think they were referencing, so canonically he's just into murdering children and not anything dodgy.

3 is the only properly good sequel, 6 is the worst but at least has the dignity to be flat-out stupid rather than dreary like 5.  New Nightmare is at least interesting, but is pretty flat when it comes to the mad dream-based stuff.

There's one moment in the remake where it almost looks like it'll take a decent turn.  When we have the flashback to the townspeople torching Freddy there's a brief suggestion that they might have been wrong about all of it, and that they scapegoated an innocent person.  It immediately bottles out of going down this road, but it would have been a decent angle - him becoming in death what he was accused of in life.  Far too interesting a move for such a flat load of old shite to pull, though.

Quote from: Avril Lavigne on October 17, 2021, 08:48:49 PM
Right on
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtiaYVyF_18

There's three or four rather strikingly done death scenes, which rather tells you which way the film series is going.

Replies From View

LONDON BRIDGE IS FALLING DOWN, FALLING DOWN, FALLING DOWN

WOGGLE YOUR HEAD FROM SIDE TO SIDE

WATCHING THE ADVERTS

DJ Bob Hoskins

Quote from: Replies From View on October 18, 2021, 08:23:44 PM
LONDON BRIDGE IS FALLING DOWN, FALLING DOWN, FALLING DOWN

WOGGLE YOUR HEAD FROM SIDE TO SIDE

WATCHING THE ADVERTS

(R.I.P. "Halloween" thread)

Operty1

Johnny Textface

3's a bit shit really. The trouble is they all have a kind of super power in their dreams which is a cool idea, but they get picked off just as easily anyway. A missed opportunity really. Also the returning actress from the first one (Heather?) is fucking BRUTAL.

Chedney Honks

Watched the ep on Netflix of The Movies That Made Us. It was OK, but not as good as the Halloween ep

Catalogue Trousers

Quote from: Rev+ on October 17, 2021, 08:44:24 PM
He was supposed to be originally, but there was a high-profile court case that was ongoing when the first film was being made that they really didn't want people to think they were referencing, so canonically he's just into murdering children and not anything dodgy.

Doesn't Nancy's mother outright tell her that he was a child molester as well as child murderer in the first film?

Replies From View

Quote from: Catalogue Trousers on October 19, 2021, 10:11:03 PM
Doesn't Nancy's mother outright tell her that he was a child molester as well as child murderer in the first film?

Probably just joking though

AsparagusTrevor

Pretty sure she just says he was a child murderer. A filthy one.

Rev+

I don't think she does, but it's been years.  They were very careful about making a distinction in the first film, but the assumption's there for the audience.  It might creep in with the sequels but I'm not sure it does.  I think the closest we get is him licking a photo of a victim in Freddy vs. Jason, which is a whole other thing anyway.

Waking Life

Quote from: Rev+ on October 20, 2021, 12:12:06 AM
I don't think she does, but it's been years.  They were very careful about making a distinction in the first film, but the assumption's there for the audience.  It might creep in with the sequels but I'm not sure it does.  I think the closest we get is him licking a photo of a victim in Freddy vs. Jason, which is a whole other thing anyway.

I watched the first 3 and 6 several times in my early teens (never seen 4 or 5, but doesn't sound like I missed anything), and I was always puzzled that he was described as a "child molester" in the film synopsis. Admittedly, I was too young to appreciate the full gravity of that description, but I remember being confused as it was never referred to in the films. Perhaps there's some subtext I missed at that age, but I can't imagine them being particularly subtle either.

JaDanketies

I might have assumed he was a pedo because all the grown ups killed him because he was a serial child killer, and I've never heard of a serial child killer who wasn't a pedo.

Replies From View

A Savile on Elm Street

ulterior motive to make them dead

Quote from: Chedney Honks on October 16, 2021, 04:00:45 PM
Watched this last night and it was a curious film. Very poor acting, felt very cheaply shot, dialogue was poor throughout, characters' actions were unbelievable. And yet it did make me uneasy and scared at times. The basic concept is frightening. The weird, distant, damaged, boozy adults were inherently unnerving, one of the strongest aspects of the film. The synth music was creepy and sleazy. Freddie himself is a horrible character here, seemingly more motivated by scaring the shit out of the kids than killing them. Some weird effects like the big arms and he runs like quite a scary cunt. The pipeworks or whatever was a very 80s industrial, grubby, close up hellish atmosphere which I didn't like one bit. Very claustrophobic. I also enjoyed how plain looking and badly dressed the lead actor was.

I have no intention of watching any more of these but while I thought this was awful in several ways, it's also got such a lurid, woozy appeal and Freddie is one of the great iconic 80s video shop poster shit scary cunts to me. I still can't really enjoy his presence because I find him such a scary character. Most of the deaths and effects looked cheap as but also very effective.

Not a good film at all but a quite effective scary film.

I'm sure there's an interview with Mark Kermode somewhere in which he mentions that the studio didn't like the "intensity" of the film and wanted Wes Craven to tone it down, which for an 80's horror is quite unusual; not tone down the gore and horror, but rather the overall "feel" of the film.

El Unicornio, mang

3 probably my favourite, at least of the sequels. Inventive, ghastly and fun, plus Patricia Arquette.

Magnum Valentino