Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 10:35:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Should I feel guilty for liking gammon?

Started by Johnny Foreigner, October 16, 2021, 04:52:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny Foreigner

Quote from: All Surrogate on October 16, 2021, 09:33:47 PM
Hehe, are you doing the hands?

Sounds like a Teesside accent to me, and disconcertingly akin to the way Chubby Brown speaks.

Icehaven

I was buying some gammon steaks in Morrison's a few years back but when I scanned them on the self service checkout they kept bringing up an error message. Some staff member came over and took them away to see what was up, then came back and solemnly said they couldn't sell them. I asked why and she just cryptically said there was some "problem" with them and they'd have get rid of the whole batch. Never found out what the mysterious problem was so had to assume they were either poisonous somehow or it was human flesh.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Jittlebags on October 16, 2021, 08:22:19 PM
Glue 8 slices of bacon together, and hey presto, a politically correct gammon substitute.

I think the QVC presenter type on Time Trumpet had an episode where he was hawking gammon steaks, and came out with "why not glue several steaks together at the same time? A great substitute for a ham."

monkfromhavana

Quote from: icehaven on October 17, 2021, 09:27:25 AM
I was buying some gammon steaks in Morrison's a few years back but when I scanned them on the self service checkout they kept bringing up an error message. Some staff member came over and took them away to see what was up, then came back and solemnly said they couldn't sell them. I asked why and she just cryptically said there was some "problem" with them and they'd have get rid of the whole batch. Never found out what the mysterious problem was so had to assume they were either poisonous somehow or it was human flesh.

Soylent Gammon

SpiderChrist

monkfromhavana

Quote from: SpiderChrist on October 17, 2021, 11:11:07 AM
No wonder so few pigs post on here.

Blodders taking a break, my fridge is full of pork. Just a coincidence.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: icehaven on October 17, 2021, 09:27:25 AM

A few years back? Would the timescale be right for the possibility that it was horse gammon?

Chedney Honks

I'm going for a pub lunch to have the slab of the boiled gammon, boiled peas and a fried egg which is subsequently boiled and some nice hot chips.

dissolute ocelot

Icehaven

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on October 18, 2021, 10:47:11 AM
A few years back? Would the timescale be right for the possibility that it was horse gammon?

No it was a bit more recent than that, although who knows, still could have slipped through. They were smoked too, even better to hide the horsey taste.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on October 18, 2021, 11:12:05 AM

Thickened with methyl cellulose, a "bulk-forming laxative"; and coloured with iron oxide (rust). What could be more gammon than that?

touchingcloth

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on October 18, 2021, 11:12:05 AM

That does not look like gammon.

I think there are some small giveaways on the box, like "style", "flavour", "vegan" and "meat-free".

jobotic

Is haslet still a thing? Haven't eaten meet since I was a teenager but at my grandparents we'd have haslet. Grey, nothing meat but I can still taste it. Like liver at school. What even is it?

Fr.Bigley

Love Lincolnshire haslet. Its just fat and fine sausage meat with sage white pepper and other olden time herbage cooked in a bain marie. My old nan used to send me off to school with a couple of Haslemere and pickle sarnies. Halcyon days. She's dead.

jobotic

My grandparents lived in Lincolnshire. Holbeach. Haslet, dried flowers and endless flatness. Loved it as a child. Haven't been back since my granddad's funeral. Feeling of relief as soon as a small hill appears on the horizon during the drive home. Imagine living in Iowa or somewhere, it never ends.