Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 12:55:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Histor's Eye

Started by Catalogue Trousers, October 16, 2021, 09:30:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replies From View

But the clearing stones thing is quite humorous in its unprovoked spitefulness, and it's not simply something we all thought of when we were five repeatedly stated as if he is genuinely proud of it and thinks he's the only one.

I get what you mean though.  I just don't think "dance settee" has that much self-awareness behind it.

BeardFaceMan

It's the same as him still saying 'skellington', he just found something he thinks is funny and sticks with it, there's no self-awareness or grand scheme, just childish amusement at himself.

Pranet

I never saw the LOFTDS show. I wonder the title actually plays any part of it or was it just a case of in February when he had to come up with a show title for Edinburgh he remembered the phrase and thought "that'll do".

EggsLikeABird

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on October 21, 2021, 05:14:38 PM
It's the same as him still saying 'skellington', he just found something he thinks is funny and sticks with it, there's no self-awareness or grand scheme, just childish amusement at himself.
Its actually quite amazing if you go back and watch the Lee and Herring stuff how much Herring has just kept in. Like a modern day Ken Dodd. He doesnt throw anything out of his act.

king_tubby

Lee is still doing call backs to this era too.

Quote from: Pranet on October 21, 2021, 05:45:31 PM
I never saw the LOFTDS show. I wonder the title actually plays any part of it or was it just a case of in February when he had to come up with a show title for Edinburgh he remembered the phrase and thought "that'll do".

I did see it, but don't remember it all that well. IIRC he did the routine near the beginning and at the end danced around a settee while a man sang the song

Pranet

That rings a faint bell from reading about it.

Ron Superior

I was bored while self isolating cos of COVID and worked through the other apps on my Now TV stick. On the Roku channel there are a load of standup sets from NextUp, completely free to view. Lord Of The Dance Setee is on there if anyone wants to go back and check it out. I got about 20 minutes in and gave up. But within that 20 minutes he'd got a dig at Stew in there. Which got me thinking, plenty of people in this thread complained about Stew having a few digs at Rich, but Rich has had I'd say way more at Stew over the years, in his podcast, in his sets, on Twitter. Why do you think Rich gets more of a pass with regards to that? Rich's digs have been as cutting and personal, if not moreso, is it because Rich can be more likely perceived as the underdog in the situation?

Anyway, Anna Mann's Sketch Show For Depressives is on the Roku channel if you want to check it out and it's great.

EggsLikeABird

Quote from: Ron Superior on October 30, 2021, 06:21:54 PM
Why do you think Rich gets more of a pass with regards to that? Rich's digs have been as cutting and personal, if not moreso, is it because Rich can be more likely perceived as the underdog in the situation?
Me personally, I find Stew's digs more noteworthy because he's more noteworthy. I dont follow Herring as much as I do Stewart Lee, so that's probably why. And also because the digs are so rare and cutting, it seems a bit like punching down due to Herring being essentially the least successful member of that original On The Hour crew. Or even the Time Gentleman Please crew, which is way sadder.

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: EggsLikeABird on October 30, 2021, 07:59:23 PM
Me personally, I find Stew's digs more noteworthy because he's more noteworthy. I dont follow Herring as much as I do Stewart Lee, so that's probably why. And also because the digs are so rare and cutting, it seems a bit like punching down due to Herring being essentially the least successful member of that original On The Hour crew. Or even the Time Gentleman Please crew, which is way sadder.

He awkwardly points out that he's the only one from Fist of Fun or This Morning who didn't get a small role in Baynham's Christmas film during one of the commentary tracks, after Stew mentions that he did but hasn't got round to seeing it.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on October 30, 2021, 08:14:12 PM
He awkwardly points out that he's the only one from Fist of Fun or This Morning who didn't get a small role in Baynham's Christmas film during one of the commentary tracks, after Stew mentions that he did but hasn't got round to seeing it.

Is that true? I can't see Paul Putner's name on the credits.

Magnum Valentino

EggsLikeABird

Would Herring be in the Stew clique, of Eldon, Putner and the like, who he always uses? Like that TMWRNJ crew turn up in everything with him. Even the Nightingale's documentary Stew did, there's Putner and Eldon on it.

Quote from: Ron Superior on October 30, 2021, 06:21:54 PM
Which got me thinking, plenty of people in this thread complained about Stew having a few digs at Rich, but Rich has had I'd say way more at Stew over the years, in his podcast, in his sets, on Twitter. Why do you think Rich gets more of a pass with regards to that? Rich's digs have been as cutting and personal, if not moreso, is it because Rich can be more likely perceived as the underdog in the situation

I think it's as simple as Rich having a dig at Stew is punching up rather than down.

There's a great John Robins bit about Stew v other comedians and Stew being a "millionaire underdog", but it seems to have vanished from the internet.

EggsLikeABird

Is Stew a millionaire? He always talks about wanting to move to the country but cant afford it.

Cuellar

I'd be amazed if flogging his house in Stoke Newington or wherever he lives wouldn't net him enough to buy a palace in Shropshire or some shit

Ferris

Quote from: EggsLikeABird on October 30, 2021, 10:28:00 PM
Is Stew a millionaire? He always talks about wanting to move to the country but cant afford it.

I believe he has moved out of London already ("visible otters" routine was 5 years ago?).

I'd guess they're both millionaires or close to it, but I don't think that detracts from what they do or that they haven't deserved everything they have.

EggsLikeABird

Since we're here speculating on Stew, Paul Chowdhry had him on his podcast and mentioned a TV presenter saw Stew at a gig and said "hi mate, hows it going" and when he walked away Stew said to Chowdhry "that fucking cunt slags me off on twitter all the time."

So who is the "fucking cunt" he speaks of?

Cold Meat Platter

TV presenter who's a fucking cunt doesn't exactly narrow it down.

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on October 30, 2021, 11:35:43 PM
I believe he has moved out of London already ("visible otters" routine was 5 years ago?).

I'd guess they're both millionaires or close to it, but I don't think that detracts from what they do or that they haven't deserved everything they have.

Going by things Stew and Bridget have said on recent podcasts I think they still live in Stoke Newington. Stew has mentioned going for walks around it during lockdown.

Pink Gregory

Stew said on the Alexei Sayle podcast that they were thinking of moving to the Wye Valley

Gurke and Hare

I don't know about a millionaire (except possibly on paper with London property values) but I think Rich said that Time Gentlemen Please put him on a very stable financial base.

Cuellar

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on October 31, 2021, 10:49:46 AM
I don't know about a millionaire (except possibly on paper with London property values) but I think Rich said that Time Gentlemen Please put him on a very stable financial base.

Having zero knowledge of how much money one makes from telly stuff I'm always quite surprised by this. Was it very successful? I always got the impression it wasn't really.

Consignia

Quote from: Cuellar on October 31, 2021, 10:58:14 AM
Having zero knowledge of how much money one makes from telly stuff I'm always quite surprised by this. Was it very successful? I always got the impression it wasn't really.

Sky probably threw a lot of money at it, as they were at the time desperate to get anything for people to watch Sky One, and wooing BBC types away with money. To that end it's probably irrelevant how successful it was for Herring, he should have got loads just for the commission. And blimey, there's nearly 40 episodes of it.

Ferris

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on October 31, 2021, 10:49:46 AM

He's recounted anecdotes of buying cars outright back in the '90s with a single script, and he bought a house in London and sold it ~25 years later. Even if he did nothing else, he'd be worth quite a lot of money. I don't really want to go on about it too much because I look like a lunatic stalker tracking his finances (even though I'm just remembering bits from his own podcasts).

Edit: in fact if memory serves, a drunk Lou Sanders pointed all this out on an older RHLSTP (rhlstp).

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on October 30, 2021, 09:23:19 PM
I think it's as simple as Rich having a dig at Stew is punching up rather than down.

There's a great John Robins bit about Stew v other comedians and Stew being a "millionaire underdog", but it seems to have vanished from the internet.

https://johnrobins.bandcamp.com/album/this-tornado-loves-you-live-2015

Starts at around 8 minutes in.

EggsLikeABird

Didnt Rich lose an ungodly amount of money on some play that crippled him years ago? I recall Stew even making a joke about Rich having a fascination of still losing 10s of thousands of pounds on a project regardless of the warning signs in front of him.

Magnum Valentino

He did, and the discussion of how badly his management let him down on that was the excised part from that awkward second RHLSTP that Stew was on.

Ferris

(Again, based on what Rich has said about himself on his own podcast) his Rasputin play in Edinburgh cost him ~40k.

I suspect it's a little blown out of proportion how badly that impacted his finances (I doubt he was close to being destitute), but yeah that probably changed his approach to chucking money at things. He crowdfunded a lot of his stuff after that, and I'm assuming he makes a few quid off the podcast which is a safer bet for him. Fair play, to be honest. He's earned his dues.

Replies From View

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on October 21, 2021, 05:14:38 PM

A good example, as 'skellington' is another one that we all did as children.

No need for a grand scheme, but a modicum of originally from him with these would be marvellous.