Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:09:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Enjoying the little things

Started by eagle_bearer, October 17, 2021, 02:08:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eagle_bearer

What's up? I hope you're making the most of what's left of the weekend before another five days of the grind. Where does the weekend go, eh? And it got me thinking about how we must try to enjoy the little things during the week. I like to create mental 'islands' to get me through each day. If you'll grant me a few moments, I'll explain.

It's Monday morning. You're chained to your desk. A couple of women are nattering in the background about that new concealer that's all the rage. There's some patter from a couple of guys about how they had one too many pints yesterday. On top of that, here's your boss and he's riding you for that report he needs by the end of the day. Great! So what I like to do is look forward to the first 'island' in the shark-infested sea that is the working day - having a walk at lunchtime.

I keep in mind that no matter what, I'm getting out for an hour. Instead of sitting down, I'll be clocking about four miles. Instead of listening to The Man, I'll be hearing the trickling of a stream. Instead of having the unwanted aroma of coffee in my nostrils, I'll be inhaling the fresh air. Instead of tapping away at a keyboard, I'll be stroking a squirrel. And here's the advice I'm trying to give you - the next time you're having a walk, just stop for a bit and have a look up at those birds flying south. Beautiful. There are professional football teams that don't hold shape as well as those guys. And have a listen to the water gently rolling along the river bed. Smell that freshly cut grass. Don't let the walk be a robotic route from A to B. Enjoy the little things. 

Sadly, after an hour, it's back to the grindstone. But after doing a bit of work while I cool down from the walk, I'm on another little 'island' when I eat lunch. That report can wait a bit while I munch a succulent sandwich and some crunchy crisps while having a browse of the internet. Now, I know I'm chucking a lot of advice your way, but please don't stuff the food into your face without thought. You're not a Tamagotchi. Take time to savour the flavour of that ham. Those seeds really take that bread to another level, don't they? And those ridge cut chips don't half give a satisfying crunch. Strong flavour to them, too. Delicious. Enjoy the little things.

During the afternoon's work, I'm thinking about the next 'island', which is the lovely walk home. You've emailed your boss that report, got him off your back, and now you're free to saunter home. As we get into the winter months, I love having a little gaze at my favourite constellations as I walk. Try it. You are not a robot. All I'm asking is that you take a few seconds to have a quick gander at the Plough or Perseus. Remarkable how those twinkling stars can make images in the sky, isn't it? How old are those stars? They were there before you were brought screaming into this world, and they'll be gazed upon after you're gone, that's for sure. So don't miss your chance to take a look. Enjoy the little things.

And maybe - if I can drag myself away from eying up Orion, that is - I'll even pick up a little sweet treat on the way home to eat with a pot of tea while I watch some Scandinavian TV shows. A little bonus 'island' before I sail off to sleep.

So what little things do you enjoy during the day? Maybe you like to call someone you love at lunchtime to have a quick catch up and unload some of your problems onto them. Perhaps you're itching to get home and try out that new cake recipe you read about online. Or maybe you're longing to curl up on the sofa and get back into that cracking novel you're halfway through.

And here's a final thought. The next time your boss is riding you for that report, instead of fantasising about slamming staples into his balls, take a few seconds to think that maybe he's being ridden by the higher ups, the faceless directors and the like, and he's just riding you to get to his own 'island'. Maybe.   

Enjoy the rest of the weekend, and enjoy the little things :)

Twit 2

I like to imagine you dying.[nb]Not really.[/nb]

bgmnts

Day off tomorrow and had day off Friday and did fuck all except cough and long for death.

It's been one of my better birthday weekends I'd say.

Lord Mandrake

Quote from: eagle_bearer on October 17, 2021, 02:08:54 PM
You're not a Tamagotchi
You are not a robot.

There's nothing about my experience that catagorically rules these things out.

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: bgmnts on October 17, 2021, 02:29:15 PM
Day off tomorrow and had day off Friday and did fuck all except cough and long for death.

crank open about 10 pint cans, get some music on, and chillax, bro!!!!!!!!!!!

flotemysost

here's your boss and he's riding you

Quote from: eagle_bearer on October 17, 2021, 02:08:54 PMYou've emailed your boss that report, got him off

Preferred the other erotic threads, tbh.

Can massively relate to looking forward to a nice walk; during the winter lockdown, I told my (very understanding) manager I might sometimes be a bit late logging in after lunch because I intended to spend the full hour of my break outside, as that was pretty much the only slice of sanity I got during the day (too dark to walk around safely after work at that point, what with everything shut). Headphones in, no emails or distractions for an hour, just a bracing stroll through the marshes as a wildfowl gang bang erupts in the background, sheer bliss.

My capacity to focus got completely battered during lockdown and I find it hard to just sit at home reading a book in silence, but one of the things I've really enjoyed being able to do again is sitting in (or outside) a pub or cafe and reading, for some reason I need that gentle buzz of life around me in order to absorb it. Also, I just really enjoy exploring new places, I go a bit mad if I'm stuck at home indoors all day.

Quote from: bgmnts on October 17, 2021, 02:29:15 PM

Happy birthday!

itsfredtitmus

Getting shagged? Yes, miss it so much! But it's the arse problem! With me arse!

itsfredtitmus

Go near the other things, but not the arse! No one likes the arse!

Cuellar

Cuellar

Sorry, that wasn't nice of me.

Sorry.

Johnny Foreigner

During the afternoon's work, I'm thinking about the next 'island', which is the lovely walk home. You've emailed your boss that report, got him off your back, and now you're free to saunter home. As we get into the winter months, I love having a little gaze at my favourite constellations as I walk. Try it. You are not a robot. All I'm asking is that you take a few seconds to have a quick gander at the Plough or Perseus. Remarkable how those twinkling stars can make images in the sky, isn't it? How old are those stars? They were there before you were brought screaming into this world, and they'll be gazed upon after you're gone, that's for sure. So don't miss your chance to take a look. Enjoy the little things.

I have done that. It is a two-hour walk and it keeps me fit if done regularly, but I cannot see myself walking home from work every day.
I mostly follow pedestrian paths along rivulets. In some places, owing to the absence of streetlights, it gets pitch dark.
I do know my constellations, but my primary concern is usually the little matter of trying to get home without tumbling into the beck.

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: Cuellar on October 17, 2021, 08:37:00 PM
Sorry, that wasn't nice of me.

Sorry.
It's prozac, mate, understand! It's the arse!

AllisonSays

I know somebody who enjoys the little things alright, and it's your brother-in-law's sister (who you're married to) if, I'm, you know what I mean, sorry that got a bit complicated.

Glebe

The lttle things are great. Lovely sandwich. Nice kip. Bit of a chuckle at something.

mothman

I'm not keen on talking down the things others do to maintain their mental health (unless you choose immoral or illegal methods to do so, like, I dunno, underage sex - "take two twelve year olds, and call me in the morning!"), but I'm not really keen on staking my happiness on things in the future. Feels too much like wishing one's life away, I did that a lot when I was younger and now most of it has indeed gone away. But - ooh, I feel like Craig Revell Horwood - that said, I thought this was a lovely little essay, I enjoyed it and I hope it helps others. 👍

Avril Lavigne

I just get drunk 24/7, it's great.

Cloud

It's Monday morning. You're chained to your desk. A couple of women are nattering in the background about that new concealer that's all the rage. There's some patter from a couple of guys about how they had one too many pints yesterday. On top of that, here's your boss and he's riding you for that report he needs by the end of the day. Great! So what I like to do is look forward to the first 'island' in the shark-infested sea that is the working day - having a walk at lunchtime.

So did anyone else misread that as "having a wank at lunchtime" or just me?

(Though "stroking a squirrel" is not a euphemism I've heard before)

McDead

Fr.Bigley

Watching a blind man's guide dog refuse to move after I gave him a handful of edibles.