Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 09:26:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Southend could get city status as a tribute to Sir David

Started by Fambo Number Mive, October 17, 2021, 06:12:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imitationleather

Quote from: Joe Oakes on October 18, 2021, 03:37:03 PM
Great news. My beautiful town, Croydon, is now finally statistically guaranteed to achieve city status by 2027. And to think that people used to scoff at our high knife crime levels, suckers.

I'm all for Croydon achieving city status if it means people will finally stop claiming that it's a part of London.

Fambo Number Mive

Norton Canes

Oh great. Now anyone who lives in a town that wants to become a city knows they will just have to stab their MP.

Norton Canes

MPs representing towns that want to become cities must be absolutely shitting themselves now.

earl_sleek

Fortunately Luton's two MPs are Labour, so no one gives a fuck if they die.

:S

mothman

Could we all be a little bit more respectful please? Let's not forget - A TOWN HAS DIED... And been reborn as a city, but still.

imitationleather

Is the airport still going to pretend it's in London?

shiftwork2

That old trout says 'this is now a City' and it just is.  Ever get the feeling this is Arsehole Island?

Buelligan

Yup.

Although they could be poppies, it's difficult to see from here.

Johnny Foreigner

Wow, is there anything she cannot do? She must be Superwoman.

I don't recall Charles II granting anything city status-and I, of course, knew him personally. Jolly nice man, if a tad adulterous.

pigamus

She's declared me a city too apparently

I'm just big boned you rude cunt

lipsink

Imagine what this government could do for starving hungry children if they deemed them as important as their Tory mates.

imitationleather

Quote from: lipsink on October 18, 2021, 09:25:56 PM
Imagine what this government could do for starving hungry children if they deemed them as important as their Tory mates.

There'd be way too many cities though.

seepage

Quote from: imitationleather on October 18, 2021, 08:03:45 PM
Is the airport still going to pretend it's in London?

Last flight out is October 31st. Might take a look to see how many people are clinging to the sides.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

They should rename it in meta- referencing honour of how it got city status in the first place.

Southend- Of- Life

Life- Gone- Southend

Actually, no they fucking shouldn't.

Butchers Blind

Can't believe the people of Southend got together and had their MP murdered just so they could put the word 'City' on their signposts. This country.

buttgammon

One of the most nauseating things I've ever heard. I'm reminded of how as a new MP, current Speaker Lindsay Hoyle spent most of his time campaigning to name stuff after the recently deceased troubled posho Lady Di Queen of Are Hearts, as if the only purpose of an MP is to vindicate the sick individuals who write letters to local papers.

idunnosomename

Lindsay Hoyle is such a gigantic arselicking dweeb i swear to fucking god

Hahaha i looked it up and he seriously asked to get Heathrow changed to Diana Memorial Airport. Simpering mawkish prick.

jobotic

People where I live are obsessed with gaining city status. If I was our MP I'd be thick as shit watching myself.

Butchers Blind

Quote from: jobotic on October 19, 2021, 11:33:10 AM
People where I live are obsessed with gaining city status. If I was our MP I'd be thick as shit watching myself.

"Listen, as our MP, we want you to push for Royal Tunbridge Wells city status"
"Well, I don't think...."
"We don't want another Amess on our hands, do we?"

Fambo Number Mive

I'm sure you are all delighted to know Southend is now a city: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-60568792

There is also a new battery powered pier train named after David Amess

Not sure if Southend becoming a city will do anything to benefit the people who live there.

Inspector Norse

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on March 01, 2022, 12:31:10 PMNot sure if Southend becoming a city will do anything to benefit the people who live there.
Not sure David Amess did anything to benefit them either.

Neville Chamberlain

Southend gaining city status has certainly been one of Putin's less talked-about demands.

Jittlebags

Can they rename if Saffffenndd in honour of its city status

The Ombudsman

Quote from: imitationleather on October 18, 2021, 02:13:34 PMThey need to do what other seaside towns like Hastings and Margate have done and move all the people who currently live there to somewhere even shitter and get a load of young couples with loads of money from London instead.

I lived in Hastings/St. Leonards for a while. Went back a few weeks ago and it was really on its arse.