Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 10:44:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

It's War Christmas!

Started by king_tubby, October 17, 2021, 06:42:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buelligan

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Mr Farenheit on October 18, 2021, 02:27:51 PM

I like how this fella has given some thought to the possibility that he might be a magnet for bees.

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on October 18, 2021, 03:33:20 PM
I like how this fella has given some thought to the possibility that he might be a magnet for bees.

ronnie pickering looks worse for wear after that bare knuckle fight

flotemysost

Johnny Yesno

greenman

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on October 18, 2021, 03:33:20 PM

Its the smack addicts he needs to worry about.

SpiderChrist

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on October 18, 2021, 01:39:09 PM
You think wrong. Most of those who were actually there would hate this. 'Never again' was the polite way of saying 'fuck that shit'.

My grandmother was born in 1916 and my grandfather in 1918. I remember as a kid neither of them wanting anything to do with Remembrance Day, and my mum remembers the same from when she was a kid. They thought it was bullshit. And it is. When you have politicians laying wreaths, politicians who would gladly send troops to their deaths just to win an election (Thatcher, Blair), then it all looks like the performative sham it so clearly is. Stick your poppy up your arse.

SpiderChrist

And I recall one year some dweeb at work complaining that there weren't poppies for sale in reception. Just in case, you know, you can't find anywhere else to buy the cunting things.

Glebe

Quote from: Mr Farenheit on October 18, 2021, 02:27:51 PM

Exclusive photos suggest Jodie Whittaker's final season will disappoint.

Jasha

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on October 18, 2021, 01:52:09 PM
yeah this. anti-war art/literature was also extremely popular

"Who is this Jack Hughes?"

canadagoose

I used to wear a poppy, up until about 2010 or so. My Granny used to get one every year, but for her it was always a low-key, private affair, except for the poppy itself, but even then it would only be for a week or so before Remembrance Sunday that she'd wear it. I got fed up of feeling like I was forced into wearing one, and these days it just seems like crass nationalism. We shouldn't be celebrating war, ffs, we should be stopping it from happening again.

Icehaven

Quote from: salr on October 18, 2021, 06:50:03 PM
https://www.forcewear.co.uk/products/chest-wound-poppy

That's... Mr. H is ex forces, I'm going to ask him what he thinks of that, I've a feeling it'll be negative.

idunnosomename

please mr goatse man, come out of retirement for one last stretch. for our boys

Johnny Foreigner

There used to be a rather lucrative industry of elderly British tourists visiting Flanders Fields, where the whole poppy thing originated. Especially round Ypres and Poperinge, there were B&Bs that catered specifically to British audiences coming to see the war graves and attending the Menin Gate ceremony, which has been conducted in English every day since 1928. General poppy-wearing, however, never caught on in Belgium.

It will probably die down a bit, now that P&O have scrapped the Zeebrugge ferry.

Butchers Blind

Think you can see an acceleration in these matters when Help For Heroes was founded in 2007. And then those awful Military Wives.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: idunnosomename on October 18, 2021, 04:03:19 PM
Or heroin addicts

Quote from: greenman on October 18, 2021, 06:19:41 PM
Its the smack addicts he needs to worry about.

I must be missing something but that doesn't look anything like a junkie-keeper's hat to me.

Johnny Yesno

jobotic

I've invented a poppy with David Amess' face in the middle and I hereby declare that anyone who doesn't buy one from me is a woke traitor and must hang.

Johnny Yesno

Turns out Amess was just wearing a multiple stab wound poppy design t-shirt, the cheeky scamp. Hoorah! Christmas is saved!

idunnosomename

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on October 18, 2021, 10:28:24 PM
I must be missing something but that doesn't look anything like a junkie-keeper's hat to me.

opium comes from papaver somniferum. the remembrance poppy is papaver rhoeas which is an agricultural weed

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on October 18, 2021, 10:35:05 PM
A fitting memorial to comfort the family of poor dead Tommy:

That's CAPTAIN Tommy to you.

hamfist

Quote from: idunnosomename on October 18, 2021, 07:28:40 PM
please mr goatse man, come out of retirement

daylight come
and illuminate
me colon

Kankurette

Why would you wear a t-shirt with a fake bullet wound as a Remembrance Day gesture. Just why.
Quote from: canadagoose on October 18, 2021, 06:44:16 PM
I used to wear a poppy, up until about 2010 or so. My Granny used to get one every year, but for her it was always a low-key, private affair, except for the poppy itself, but even then it would only be for a week or so before Remembrance Sunday that she'd wear it. I got fed up of feeling like I was forced into wearing one, and these days it just seems like crass nationalism. We shouldn't be celebrating war, ffs, we should be stopping it from happening again.
I still wear one in honour of my gran, she was in the WAAF, but I also hate how it's become politicised. It should be about pacifism and remembering the horrors of war. Also, anyone who says 'they died so you could have the right not to wear a poppy' needs to be dropped into an actual conflict. You like war so much, fucking go and fight in one, chickenhawk. And that's not why WW2 happened, my gran did not sign up because her granddaughter who wasn't due to be born for another 40 years could not wear a poppy.

I hate how prevalent it is in football as well. Players in the '90s didn't wear poppies but now every fucker has to wear one and if you're Nemanja Matic or worse, James McClean, you get dogs' abuse from angry Tories, because if you live and work in the UK you should support its politics in everything (see also: "Why does Jürgen Klopp, who lives in the UK and manages an English team, have an opinion on Brexit?")

robhug

I was just thinking about James Mclean, I bet he loves this time of year.

The irony of him refusing to wear one shows that he's actually thought about it, whereas everyone else just wears one probably without a fucking clue what its about. They probably think its a nifty new sponsor with a modern logo.

I'm pretty disappointed whenever I've seen england based Argentinians donning one, which you can only assume are respecting the brave boys of HMS Conqueror. Diego would have told 'em to fuck off.

greenman

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on October 18, 2021, 10:28:24 PM

Johnny Yesno

buttgammon

Quote from: robhug on October 19, 2021, 11:36:03 AM
I was just thinking about James Mclean, I bet he loves this time of year.

The irony of him refusing to wear one shows that he's actually thought about it, whereas everyone else just wears one probably without a fucking clue what its about. They probably think its a nifty new sponsor with a modern logo.

I'm pretty disappointed whenever I've seen england based Argentinians donning one, which you can only assume are respecting the brave boys of HMS Conqueror. Diego would have told 'em to fuck off.

Exactly, I guarantee there isn't an active footballer in England who's given it more thought than McClean; I've always admired him for his stand. I'd love to think I'd do the same in his position but as I live in Ireland and I'm not a public figure, it's very easy for me to say that; it takes strong values and real courage to put himself in the firing line so much year on year.

So often, the poppy is a substitute for actually thinking about war and its consequences, as wearing it allows people to kid themselves that they're engaging in commemoration when in many cases, they haven't given it a second's thought behind pinning it on their lapel.

One of the things I think about is my grandfather's time in the Medical Corps at the end of WWII. He was part of the British occupying forces in Japan and went to Hiroshima shortly after it was destroyed; he wasn't a fan of warfare after seeing that, put it that way.