Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 10:04:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

It's War Christmas!

Started by king_tubby, October 17, 2021, 06:42:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Kankurette on October 19, 2021, 10:57:00 AM
anyone who says 'they died so you could have the right not to wear a poppy' needs to be dropped into an actual conflict.

Although the obvious response is 'Well, in that a case, show them some cocking respect and stop shaming people into wearing a poppy.'

Johnny Yesno

Johnny Yesno

It's Captain Murderer of Hearts!

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on October 19, 2021, 03:16:37 PM
From that thread:

https://www.raceofremembrance.com/rorkarting

Amazing. Starting a 2 hour race at 10:30 specifically so they can suspend it in time to do the commemoration at 11.

Quotethe 18 teams will all be on track with one mission - to commemorate the fallen

Mate.

Kankurette

Quote from: robhug on October 19, 2021, 11:36:03 AM
I was just thinking about James Mclean, I bet he loves this time of year.

The irony of him refusing to wear one shows that he's actually thought about it, whereas everyone else just wears one probably without a fucking clue what its about. They probably think its a nifty new sponsor with a modern logo.

I'm pretty disappointed whenever I've seen england based Argentinians donning one, which you can only assume are respecting the brave boys of HMS Conqueror. Diego would have told 'em to fuck off.
Ramiro Funes Mori got shit off Everton fans for saying the Malvinas belonged to Argentina. Idiots saying he should be sacked and stuff. Wouldn't surprise me if Argentinians who refused to wear the poppies got abuse as well.

I have a lot of time for McClean because it takes a lot of guts for him to go out there and explain why he won't wear a poppy, knowing how right-wing football fans are. Also, I wonder how many of them realise the irony of sending McClean and his family death threats because people DIED for his right to not wear a poppy.

As I said, I wear one because of my gran, she's one of my role models and she lost her fiance in the war, as well as friends on her base. His plane was shot down. BUT I also don't think it should be forced. Wear a poppy or don't. Everyone has their own way of remembering the victims of war.
Quote from: Johnny Yesno on October 19, 2021, 11:54:24 AM
Although the obvious response is 'Well, in that a case, show them some cocking respect and stop shaming people into wearing a poppy.'
That would require them to use their fucking heads. It was the same with people like me who didn't want to do VE Day street parties last year. Don't fucking shame people into enforced fun, thanks. Besides, I live on my own, I would look like a knob sitting in my garden with victory rolls in my hair blasting out We'll Meet Again and eating scones.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on October 19, 2021, 03:46:38 PM
https://www.raceofremembrance.com/rorkarting

Amazing. Starting a 2 hour race at 10:30 specifically so they can suspend it in time to do the commemoration at 11.

Quotethe 18 teams will all be on track with one mission - to commemorate the fallen

Mate.

Are boys killed baby Hitler so we could have 18 karting teams.

Norton Canes

Shamelessly lifted from the social media account of a notoriously enraged music press scribe:

-----

*** IMPORTANT *** IMPORTANT ***

YOU MUST WEAR ONE IN INDOOR SPACES AND ON PUBLIC TRANSPORT AT ALL TIMES: THE GOVERNMENT GUIDE TO WEARING POPPIES

As Winter approaches, we as a country face a serious challenge together; that of ensuring for the good and protection of us all, we all wear poppies, a reminder of the "Blitz spirit".
We had hoped that a sense of decency and public spirit would impel the vast majority of people to make the tiny sacrifice of wearing this small paper item.

However, with increasing non-compliance, we have decided to making the wearing of poppies mandatory. All Conservative party members will be required to wear them in parliament and in all TV appearances. We trust our friends in Opposition will back us to the hilt and follow suit.

Meanwhile, members of the public not wearing a poppy may be approached by plain clothes officers and issued with a £500 fine.

As for "anti-poppy" demonstrators, be assured that they will face the full, crushing might of the law and face custodial sentences if they should gather to protest. This is not a matter of individual liberty but of public health, the moral health of this great, worldbeating, certainly German-beating country.

WEAR A POPPY. SAVE LIVES.

Johnny Foreigner

Would it be a good idea to take opium to commemorate the fallen?

Mister Six

Why is everyone saluting the horse?

badaids

Through work I have a lot to do with the RBL and other single service charities and associations. The members don't number so May these days and all have one complaint, that what used to be a place they could go for comradeship especially as they got older, has cast aside that and become an organisation purely for raising money. It serve the function of the fewer people who are left to benefit from it. I know plenty of more recent vets who benefit from supported housing and other support, but what do they spend all the millions they take in every year on?

greenman

Quote from: Mister Six on October 23, 2021, 05:50:00 AM
Why is everyone saluting the horse?

Seems like he's implying shagging horses is what kept moral up enough to defeat the hun zombie army.

Johnny Yesno

People have noticed some interesting details:

hamfist

at the dash of the pebble
at the pvc of the window
we shall remember them

Johnny Yesno

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Stephanie Soh @steph_soh
I'm re-watching Only Fools and Horses and the famous speech Grandad gives, telling Del Boy off for glorifying war, feels relevant to the 'hero' rhetoric we're seeing right now: "They promised us homes fit for heroes, they give us heroes fit for homes"

2:15 pm · 17 May 2020

Video: https://twitter.com/steph_soh/status/1262008779719270401

hamfist

The RAF there, remembrancing for you at a cost of thousands of your tax pounds per second.

Great ROI for the Great British Public.

seepage

Quote from: hamfist on October 23, 2021, 11:29:15 AM

The RAF there, remembrancing for you at a cost of thousands of your tax pounds per second.

Great ROI for the Great British Public.

I think NASA do Apollo missions, not the RAF.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on October 23, 2021, 10:08:29 AM
People have noticed some interesting details:

What, that they have CCTV??
Probably just as well as the local kids have already nicked the effigy of Captain Tom off of the horse.

Whenever I see this thread title I imagine it said in Geordie.
"It's wor Christmas, petal!"

hamfist

Quote from: seepage on October 23, 2021, 03:19:40 PM
I think NASA do Apollo missions, not the RAF.

Oh they're gonna do moon poppy aren't they ?

MOON POPPY

hamfist

when the moon hits your eye
big and red in the sky
that's the #fallen

silhouette of a guy
kneeling over a guy
who has #fallen

George Oscar Bluth II

Losing my mind that someone #respecting the #fallen also owns...a Nazi uniform. Shocked.

I genuinely do think this stuff signals a deep sickness at the heart of British society. The fact it's compulsory for everyone on TV to wear one[nb]Except Jon Snow[/nb], the displays[nb]Presumably everyone who made a woolly thing for the top of a postbox or created a scene in their front garden made a substantial donation to the Royal British Legion?[/nb], the jingoism, the football shirts, the abuse of James McClean...

It's really, really not a coincidence that the madness really started after all the great, dignified, final veterans of World War 1 died.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on October 23, 2021, 02:51:53 PM
what am i even looking at?

Why, it's a SHOWBIZ & KAREN MINI BAR, of course. For are brave boys.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: George Oscar Bluth II on October 24, 2021, 06:51:15 AM
Losing my mind that someone #respecting the #fallen also owns...a Nazi uniform. Shocked.

I genuinely do think this stuff signals a deep sickness at the heart of British society. The fact it's compulsory for everyone on TV to wear one[nb]Except Jon Snow[/nb], the displays[nb]Presumably everyone who made a woolly thing for the top of a postbox or created a scene in their front garden made a substantial donation to the Royal British Legion?[/nb], the jingoism, the football shirts, the abuse of James McClean...

It's really, really not a coincidence that the madness really started after all the great, dignified, final veterans of World War 1 died.

waiting for the day that some jolly japester writers a column about not also commemorating those filthy Europeans and certainly not the Germans.

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on October 23, 2021, 10:31:04 AM

https://twitter.com/notoliverbutler/status/1450530770309853188

Patriot's phrasebook:

Q. You had much to drink tonight?
A. Ach, just my usual fire extinguisher of vodka. Just a cheeky wee fire extinguisher of vodka to remember the fallen.

Jasha

This is all just a case of pop will eat itself isn't it, make the whole thing so devalued and ridiculous that it can't be taken seriously any more

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Jasha on October 24, 2021, 06:53:34 PM
This is all just a case of pop will eat itself isn't it, make the whole thing so devalued and ridiculous that it can't be taken seriously any more

And, importantly, keep the arms trade going. Posted in the Labour thread but really it should be in here:

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on October 24, 2021, 06:17:59 PM
Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on October 24, 2021, 04:53:12 PM
https://www.medialens.org/2021/manufacturing-ignorance-keeping-the-public-away-from-power/

Well worth a read and it links to an excellent but upsetting documentary by Declassified UK.

FULL FILM: Warton's war on Yemen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhsPkdFusJI

Oh, there's also a follow-up panel discussion presented by Andrew Feinstein, whose name you might not remember but you'll recognise him when you see him:

Panel Discussion - Warton's War on Yemen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eMgWMhKx1k