Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 12:14:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

White noise machines

Started by Custard, October 18, 2021, 08:53:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Custard

Black ones are also available, ya racists

Seriously though, has any verbwhores got experience with using one of these?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_noise_machine#%3A%7E%3Atext%3DA_white_noise_machine_is%2Cserene_or_nature-like_sounds.?wprov=sfla1

Thinking of getting one, as apparently they're good for drowning out outside noise, allowing you to enjoy reading a nice book, or having a peaceful wank, or maybe even getting some sleep!

Been reading a few reviews, and may go for a relatively cheapo £25 one, just to see if it's for me. Don't really want my gaff to sound like a rainforest, but if it helps to cut out the cunt family in the flat upstairs, call me Tarzan

Apparently they are also pretty relaxing, so that'll be nice.

But are they any good? Really?

jobotic

I've used an app called Resound Relief recently. It's free to download on your phone and has a lot of settings and sounds. White Brown and Pink Noise among many others. I got it to block out tinnitus and it's not bad at all. Could turn it up a bit or put it through a Bluetooth speaker to block out real sounds.

Midas

no, i have no idea what this is.

touchingcloth

So that thing's spewing noise back into the universe?

Custard

Quote from: jobotic on October 18, 2021, 08:59:34 PM
I've used an app called Resound Relief recently. It's free to download on your phone and has a lot of settings and sounds. White Brown and Pink Noise among many others. I got it to block out tinnitus and it's not bad at all. Could turn it up a bit or put it through a Bluetooth speaker to block out real sounds.

Interesting, I did read a lot of people get them who suffer with tinnitus. Glad it helps you.

I also read about apps that do a similar job, but was put off by a few reviews by people saying the machines are far better. Might download that app to give it a go tonight though, thanks

My neighbours aren't even that noisy, really. But I'm one of those people who can hear a door slam three miles away and find it incredibly distracting. So maybe a continuous, nice noise will be more pleasant

Midas

once left the noise generator on the korg minilogue running for ages to see if it would detune itself, but it wasn't really relaxing tbh, just a bit noisy.

do they literally just play a recording of white noise? you could just make that in audacity and play it through a speaker.

Famous Mortimer

Used one for a decade or so, because I used to live in a noisy area. I think they work great (obviously).

Custard

Quote from: touchingcloth on October 18, 2021, 09:02:20 PM
So that thing's spewing noise back into the universe?

Apparently there are a number of sounds you can choose, til you find the one that suits you, or your situation. Like the sound of waves, or a breeze, or yeah, an actual rainforest

Apparently any other outside noise then kinda blends in or is blocked out altogether. So you're only hearing what's in your room. They say it may take a little while to get used to, but as I say, a low pleasant background noise instead of cunts banging and slamming sounds like Heaven to me right now. Maybe there's an actual Heaven sound

mothman

I'll try this Resound app out, thanks.

Custard

Quote from: Midas on October 18, 2021, 09:05:41 PM
once left the noise generator on the korg minilogue running for ages to see if it would detune itself, but it wasn't really relaxing tbh, just a bit noisy.

do they literally just play a recording of white noise? you could just make that in audacity and play it through a speaker.

It's not actual white noise, it's pink noise apparently. Which sounds nicer, doesn't it? Maybe white noise is more of an eye catching name, or easier to describe?

imitationleather

Ah okay I thought these sounded like a detuned telly which really would be awful and it'd be bizarre if people would buy a device that did that.

Midas

ahh... you can create pink noise in audacity too :))

mothman

Could we just use the term Noises Of Colour please?

Captain Z

Quote from: Shameless Custard on October 18, 2021, 09:10:23 PM
Apparently there are a number of sounds you can choose, til you find the one that suits you, or your situation. Like the sound of waves, or a breeze, or yeah, an actual rainforest

Apparently any other outside noise then kinda blends in or is blocked out altogether. So you're only hearing what's in your room. They say it may take a little while to get used to, but as I say, a low pleasant background noise instead of cunts banging and slamming sounds like Heaven to me right now. Maybe there's an actual Heaven sound

So what is it?

Custard

Think I'm gonna go for this one, as it's apparently easy to use and cheap. Reason I link to it is because it describes far better than me what these things actually do!
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B087CPCVK9/

Cloud

If you have an iPhone you can get it to do this via the Accessibility settings, and then have it be a toggle in the quick settings menu

Custard

Apparently doctors, psychotherapists etc use them at their offices, as they mask the sound of their appointments and block any outside noise

Custard

Icehaven

I use a white noise app a lot of the time as I get really bothered by unexpected/intrusive noise, but I tend to listen to thunderstorms and/or ocean waves rather than simple white noise, as I find it more relaxing and my brain doesn't turn it into other sounds the way it can do with white noise. Genuinely wish I was stone deaf sometimes.

Johnny Yesno

imitationleather

Years back I got the DTs and the sound of the extractor fan in my bathroom kept turning into classical music.

If these things are anything like the overall experience of alcohol withdrawal you can keep them!!

TrenterPercenter

Nick Ferrari, Dan Wootton, Andrew Neil, Boris Johnson, is that what you mean?

Custard

Quote from: icehaven on October 18, 2021, 09:28:19 PM
I use a white noise app a lot of the time as I get really bothered by unexpected/intrusive noise, but I tend to listen to thunderstorms and/or ocean waves rather than simple white noise, as I find it more relaxing and my brain doesn't turn it into other sounds the way it can do with white noise. Genuinely wish I was stone deaf sometimes.

Heh, I feel like that too recently. Mrs Custard has pretty bad hearing, so she never hears anything unless it's really loud and intrusive. Whereas I hear everything, ever. I'm starting to get agitated by neighbours simply walking about, which can't be healthy. But yeah, as terrible as it sounds, sometimes I wish my hearing was bad too

I quite like the sound of a fan, or waves, so I think I'd go for them. Fuck knows who'd go for the train option

Chedney Honks

Train is extremely extremely relaxing.

Custard

Quote from: Chedney Honks on October 18, 2021, 09:36:24 PM
Train is extremely extremely relaxing.

Really? Id have never thought that. Does it do the whistle thing too? Or just a slow chugging?

jobotic

No idea why they put "drunken argument Chatham carpark 3am 12/4/97" on there.

Chedney Honks

I often watch train videos on YT if I wake up in the middle of the night, especially when I was fucked up from Covid, and there's something about the rhythm which is both repetitive and slightly unpredictable, the soft clacking sounds, the persistent gentle hiss, and also the wonder of movement and experience of the landscape slowly passing by. I think it's the combination which I find so comforting but I normally close the tablet after ten minutes or so so and just fall asleep to the gentle clack clack.

Chollis

Quote from: Chedney Honks on October 18, 2021, 09:41:42 PM
I often watch train videos on YT if I wake up in the middle of the night, especially when I was fucked up from Covid, and there's something about the rhythm which is both repetitive and slightly unpredictable, the soft clacking sounds, the persistent gentle hiss, and also the wonder of movement and experience of the landscape slowly passing by. I think it's the combination which I find so comforting but I normally close the tablet after ten minutes or so so and just fall asleep to the gentle clack clack.

i'd really love to try a posh overnight sleeper train. i sleep like a baby on trains anyway but i'm guessing it's the rhythmic sensation rather than the sound. gonna check out some train vids anyway

imitationleather

Quote from: Chollis on October 18, 2021, 09:52:51 PM
i'd really love to try a posh overnight sleeper train. i sleep like a baby on trains anyway but i'm guessing it's the rhythmic sensation rather than the sound. gonna check out some train vids anyway

I've watched a few review vids and apparently the sleeper train to Penzance is the connoisseurs' choice.

The Amtrak one in the US looked rickety and run-down as fuck.