Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 07:05:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

White noise machines

Started by Custard, October 18, 2021, 08:53:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

non capisco

Quote from: Chedney Honks on October 18, 2021, 09:41:42 PM
I often watch train videos on YT if I wake up in the middle of the night, especially when I was fucked up from Covid, and there's something about the rhythm which is both repetitive and slightly unpredictable, the soft clacking sounds, the persistent gentle hiss, and also the wonder of movement and experience of the landscape slowly passing by. I think it's the combination which I find so comforting but I normally close the tablet after ten minutes or so so and just fall asleep to the gentle clack clack.

I feel and do exactly the same, excellently put. The only thing that matches this for drowse conjuring bliss for me is snooker on the telly with the volume on low.

TrenterPercenter

Why do you lot love sleeping so much?  I mean it is a necessity in the modern world but to actively seek it out seems perverse.

bgmnts

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on October 18, 2021, 10:15:42 PM
Why do you lot love sleeping so much?  I mean it is a necessity in the modern world but to actively seek it out seems perverse.

Have you ever been asleep? It's fucking incredible.

Literally the best part of life, one of the parts that almost make it worth living, is those five or ten minutes when, after being unable to keep them open anymore, you close your eyes and just drift away into whatever thoughts you have, until nothingness takes you.

Just those five minutes of pure exhaustive pleasure.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: bgmnts on October 18, 2021, 10:25:10 PM
Have you ever been asleep?

Of course, I sleep every night, 10 seconds every 5 minutes as I make my way back down the mountain.

flotemysost

Love a soothing train/bus video too, although I'm trying[nb]not very hard[/nb] to avoid looking at screens last thing before bed. When I was studying I sometimes used to put videos of washing machines or tumble driers on in the background.

I'm definitely tempted by these white noise machines. Sleep quality is currently of Leerdammer-tier patchiness, it takes hours to reach unconsciousness but then the slightest thing will wake me up and I'll just... stay awake (not helped when the local vulpine community seem to be staging their own Mancunian trucker-style shenanigans under my window most nights).

I don't want to disturb my flatmates though, but I also tend to sleep on my side with half my face grafted to the pillow, like if Harvey Dent had got into a scuffle in a Dreams warehouse instead, so having headphones in isn't very comfortable either. Leisurely hurtle into insanity it is, I suppose.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: flotemysost on October 18, 2021, 11:11:58 PM
Love a soothing train/bus video too, although I'm trying[nb]not very hard[/nb] to avoid looking at screens last thing before bed. When I was studying I sometimes used to put videos of washing machines or tumble driers on in the background.

I'm definitely tempted by these white noise machines. Sleep quality is currently of Leerdammer-tier patchiness, it takes hours to reach unconsciousness but then the slightest thing will wake me up and I'll just... stay awake (not helped when the local vulpine community seem to be staging their own Mancunian trucker-style shenanigans under my window most nights).

I don't want to disturb my flatmates though, but I also tend to sleep on my side with half my face grafted to the pillow, like if Harvey Dent had got into a scuffle in a Dreams warehouse instead, so having headphones in isn't very comfortable either. Leisurely hurtle into insanity it is, I suppose.
Look into getting a bluetooth sleep mask. They have built in speakers so you can play mellow music, white noise, rain, Blue Jam etc, whatever you want, while you fall off to sleep without disturbing anyone. Plus being a sleep mask it cuts out any light. I've used one myself for a while now and it's massively helped my sleep.

touchingcloth

Quote from: flotemysost on October 18, 2021, 11:11:58 PM
I don't want to disturb my flatmates though, but I also tend to sleep on my side with half my face grafted to the pillow, like if Harvey Dent had got into a scuffle in a Dreams warehouse instead, so having headphones in isn't very comfortable either.

Under-pillow speakers are a thing...

Dex Sawash

I blend rain storm with helicopter on mine

flotemysost

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on October 18, 2021, 11:29:15 PM
Look into getting a bluetooth sleep mask. They have built in speakers so you can play mellow music, white noise, rain, Blue Jam etc, whatever you want, while you fall off to sleep without disturbing anyone. Plus being a sleep mask it cuts out any light. I've used one myself for a while now and it's massively helped my sleep.

Quote from: touchingcloth on October 18, 2021, 11:30:49 PM
Under-pillow speakers are a thing...

Cheers for the suggestions! I suppose I'm just a bit put off by anything that goes on/near your head in case it feels distractingly bulky, but I'll look into it. Earplugs (the flared type you wear to gigs/clubs, not the squishy foam ones) have helped in the past, if I can remember where I left mine to languish for the past 18 months.

Blue Jam

I use a free app called Sleepa. It used to be called Sleepo, which I preferred because it sounds more Scouse. I sometimes listen to white noise when I'm working on my laptop at home because little noises distract me too much and I can't concentrate when listening to music. When I'm drifting off to sleep it's a custom mix of pink noise, rainfall and thunder.

paruses

I have used A Soft Murmur. It has a paid version but you don't need that and also has a website version that's good and means you don't have to keep navigating your phone.

JesusAndYourBush

You can get little portable ones in Japan to drown out the sounds of your toileting.

Dex Sawash

I used a free noise app that had ad breaks every few hours, once.

Custard

Right well I tried the cheapo one I bought this week, and I've gotta say it really does work well.

I just had it on a medium level fan sort of noise and whacked it up on a shelf so it was relatively high up, and it genuinely blocked out a load of the above cunts faffing about. It's weird at first, but it's funny how quickly you get used to it. We could even watch and hear the telly well, without me being distracted by them every few seconds. Couldn't hear a peep from outside either. Genuinely blissful

There concludes my field report. I shot my load up the prostitute, made my excuses and left