Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 09:23:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Marmite on Toast

Started by Thursday, October 18, 2021, 10:39:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thursday

Clearly the best thing you can have on toast. (Unless you don't like Marmite in which case, yeah fair enough.) Personally I like a mug (or cup) of Hot Chocolate with it, but that might just be my own weird quirk.

Not interested in debating the matter or any of the specificities of it, but go ahead if you must.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Thursday on October 18, 2021, 10:39:32 PM
Clearly the best thing you can have on toast. Personally I like a mug (or cup) of Hot Chocolate with it, but that might just be my own weird quirk.

Not interested in debating the matter or any of the specificities of it, but go ahead if you must.

I have no opinion on this; other than it is good.

however I'm sure there are people on here that can still fuck it up.

Fr.Bigley

I eat marmite and peanut butter on toast every morning so I agree, marmite is the dogs.

mothman

Marmite on toast. With a glass of ice-cold milk. My ultimate midnight snack.

touchingcloth

Because I am a hopelessly fat cunt I have reduced my intake of carbs to a tiny amount. Sadly this means toast is a rarity to me know, but even more sadly than that it means I've lost the only truly appealing way of housing gallons of Marmite at a time.

What non-carb things can be used as a conduit de Marm?

Icehaven

Just eat it straight off the spoon, it's that good.

mothman

Rice cakes. Gallo also do a corn cake that works well. The merest scraping of low-fat spread, Marmite, it's about 30-40 calories per cake.

Fr.Bigley

checkoutgirl

Incidentally I bought a jar of Marmite a couple of weeks ago after a lifetime of never going near the stuff. I get a lot of food videos in my youtube screen. Tried it on white toast allowed to cool with a normal amount of butter and a scrape of Marmite. Contrary to the idiom I didn't love or hate it, it was just okay. It was very salty and didn't have the depth of flavour I was hoping for, just salt. Maybe I did it wrong.

Also it's extremely thick and viscous so when spreading over butter it gets kind of mashed and mixed in with the butter which I didn't find satisfying. I prefer light spreads that can very easily spread over the butter.

Again, maybe I was approaching the whole thing the wrong way. I tried it again a few days later but not since. Overall I was a bit disappointed. Is it an acquired taste? Is there some secret to how it's spread that I'm missing?

mothman

QuoteI prefer light spreads

Well that's your problem right there. Marmite is not something you spread lightly.

touchingcloth

Quote from: mothman on October 18, 2021, 10:55:12 PM
Rice cakes. Gallo also do a corn cake that works well. The merest scraping of low-fat spread, Marmite, it's about 30-40 calories per cake.

Rice is no good for me, but I might look into corn cakes. I sometimes make oatcakes as they are inexplicably pricey to buy.

Cloud

Wait wait wait hold the phone

What about marmite on toast with an egg on it?

Fr.Bigley

touchingcloth

Quote from: mothman on October 18, 2021, 10:57:58 PM
Well that's your problem right there. Marmite is not something you spread lightly.

Correct. More than 50% of it which ends up on whatever I'm spreading it on needs to keep the same colour intensity it has in the jar. None of this fading to chestnut, I want it black as pitch.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Cloud on October 18, 2021, 11:00:24 PM
Wait wait wait hold the phone

What about marmite on toast with an egg on it?

With a poached egg it's fucking great. In our house we call that Eggs Benedict Yeastextract.

ZoyzaSorris

Quote from: touchingcloth on October 18, 2021, 10:53:09 PM
Because I am a hopelessly fat cunt I have reduced my intake of carbs to a tiny amount. Sadly this means toast is a rarity to me know, but even more sadly than that it means I've lost the only truly appealing way of housing gallons of Marmite at a time.

What non-carb things can be used as a conduit de Marm?

Got a good recipe for making seed crackers that works good with butter and marmite for very minimal carbs. A large cup of seeds, a bit less of water, a few tablespoons of psyllium husk as a binder, pinch of salt, roll it out thin on some silicone sheet and pop it in the oven at 150 deg C for 70 min - great stuff

Cloud

Quote from: touchingcloth on October 18, 2021, 11:01:46 PM
With a poached egg it's fucking great. In our house we call that Eggs Benedict Yeastextract.

I'm fucking having that at the weekend.

Might even thrown on some cheeky bacon bits

Fr.Bigley

Have you tried marmite with crabsticks though?

touchingcloth

Quote from: Fr.Bigley on October 18, 2021, 11:03:16 PM
Have you tried marmite with crabsticks though?

An alternative answer to the age old question of "pink or brown?"

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: touchingcloth on October 18, 2021, 11:04:24 PM
An alternative answer to the age old question of "pink or brown?"

Yeah, it fucking stinks mate.

Shit Good Nose

Bovril on toast.

(I'm one of those that neither hates nor loves Marmite.  I'll happily eat it if there's nowt else, but wouldn't go out of my way to get any)

mothman

Quote from: touchingcloth on October 18, 2021, 10:59:03 PM
Rice is no good for me, but I might look into corn cakes. I sometimes make oatcakes as they are inexplicably pricey to buy.
The Kallø - not Gallo! - corn cakes are very nice - I prefer them to the standard plain rice cake in fact. And - can't believe I forgot this! - they also do a lentil cake that is REALLY nice with Marmite on.

Icehaven

Quote from: touchingcloth on October 18, 2021, 11:01:46 PM

Hell yes.

imitationleather

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on October 18, 2021, 11:13:25 PM
(I'm one of those that neither hates nor loves Marmite.

According to their famous marketing, 99% of the population hold this opinion.

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: mothman on October 18, 2021, 11:15:21 PMa lentil cake that is REALLY nice.

Them sorts of lies are likely to get you shanked at your constituency surgery.

mothman

Come at the king, you best not miss, bro.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: imitationleather on October 18, 2021, 11:18:21 PM
According to their famous marketing, 99% of the population hold this opinion.

"* of 6 people surveyed" etc

touchingcloth

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on October 18, 2021, 11:13:25 PM
Bovril on toast.

(I'm one of those that neither hates nor loves Marmite.  I'll happily eat it if there's nowt else, but wouldn't go out of my way to get any)

I remember going into a greasy spoon with a Marmite-loving friend when we were about 14. He ordered a cheese toastie and asked if he could have Marmite in it.

"Marmite?!" The girl serving said. "In a toastie?!"

He clarified that, yes, that is what he wanted, and looked as puzzled as I felt that someone would be confused about this request.

"We don't have Marmite, but we've got Bovril. Will that do?"

He clarified that, yes, Bovril would be fine, at which point he was asked "...and how do you want me to...add it?"

"Just a sort of decent spread of it before the cheese goes on."

"...OK..."

When the toastie arrived back, he spat out his first bite and started pulling the thing apart to inspect it. They'd only sprinkled a load of gravy granules all over the cunt.

touchingcloth

Quote from: mothman on October 18, 2021, 11:15:21 PM
The Kallø - not Gallo! - corn cakes are very nice - I prefer them to the standard plain rice cake in fact. And - can't believe I forgot this! - they also do a lentil cake that is REALLY nice with Marmite on.

I'll see what Makro have available!

flotemysost

It's also good for concealing tablets intended for reluctant feline patients. At least, that's what I was told by the owners of a cat I used to look after (the cat's name was Twiglet tbf, so perhaps it was biased).