Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 12:36:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Marmite on Toast

Started by Thursday, October 18, 2021, 10:39:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flotemysost

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: flotemysost on October 18, 2021, 11:26:20 PM
It's also good for concealing tablets intended for reluctant feline patients. At least, that's what I was told by the owners of a cat I used to look after (the cat's name was Twiglet tbf, so perhaps it was biased).

The cat should have tried it with crabsticks.

flotemysost

Or just give it a mug of Bovril.

wrec

I've eaten Marmite more consistently than any branded foodstuff throughout my life. I don't use butter, a bit of cheese and/or tomato with it if anything.

Very occasionally I'll have a foaming nut-brown mug of it a la Bovril. Dunno why this isn't more popular. The missus can't tolerate it as a spread but loves it as a drink.

Quote from: touchingcloth on October 18, 2021, 11:01:46 PM
With a poached egg it's fucking great. In our house we call that Eggs Benedict Yeastextract.

A favourite of Margaret Thatcher's too so you're in good company.

The Mollusk

Quote from: checkoutgirl on October 18, 2021, 10:55:52 PM
Also it's extremely thick and viscous so when spreading over butter it gets kind of mashed and mixed in with the butter which I didn't find satisfying. I prefer light spreads that can very easily spread over the butter.

You need to spread it slowly. Press the knife quite firm (but not too firm or you'll tear the bread) and very slowly move it down the toast from top to bottom. As you're doing this the heat from the toast will also soften the Marmite and aid the spreadability.

I've got the knack now where I can glide down one half of the toast and do a U-turn back up to the top on the other half in one slow, thick Sunn O))) swoop. Very satisfying.

Camp Tramp

Whenever I eat marmite I end up with big red clown lips.
Doesn't stop me eating the stuff though.

wrec

Another fun activity you can do with Marmite is to put a globule of it on a plate, tap it repeatedly with a spoon and marvel as it gradually turns white

bakabaka

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

What's all this nonsense about spreading butter on the toast first? Just spread more Marmite.

Quote from: wrec on October 19, 2021, 01:31:38 AM
Very occasionally I'll have a foaming nut-brown mug of it a la Bovril. Dunno why this isn't more popular. The missus can't tolerate it as a spread but loves it as a drink.
I'm firmly on the love it side of things, but I've never found it works as a drink. I find it has an unpleasant sort of metallic taste. It does however make a splendid ingredient for gravy, which I suppose you could drink.

I'm not really on board with all these novelty foods that have it mixed in, either. If I ever want to combine it with houmous, peanut butter or cheese, I'll just do it myself. I've got a jar of officially branded chilli Marmite, which is perfectly pleasant, but similarly pointless, especially as the level of spice is very tame.

Pop your Marmite in the Micro for 2 mins before spreading it.

imitationleather

And then let it cool down.

The Mollusk

Where do we stand on squeezy Marmite pots then

Absolute fucking unmitigated shit for stupid pricks, that's where I stand

badaids

It's not as good as Bovril on toast.  My family takes the piss out of me because I say it's my favorite 'dish'.

What you have to do - with Bovril or Marmite - is always have at least 4 slices.  As they come off the toaster you let the ones that come off cool and then butter and put on the spread on to the ones that come off last and are hot.  That way some are slathered in a slab of cold butter, and some have the butter melted onto the toast.

In fact I put dab of Bovril (or marmite) in anything I'm cooking.  Pies, soup, pasta.  Always bugs the taste up.

Emma Raducanu

I could live off Bovril on toast yet can't stand drinking it. With Marmite, I go through phases of nailing jars of it to not bothering with it for a year.

badaids

Quote from: DolphinFace on October 19, 2021, 07:27:38 PM
I could live off Bovril on toast yet can't stand drinking it. With Marmite, I go through phases of nailing jars of it to not bothering with it for a year.

I couldn't ever drink Bovril, you're bang on there.  I go through about 3 of the big jars every month.

mothman

Pre-pandemic a colleague went to New Zealand and I asked her to get me some Kiwi Marmite (made by Sanitarium) which I rather like - it's actually more like Bovril.

I gave her precise instructions. So of course, she got me Vegemite.

I ended up eating it during Lockdown 1. Actually better than I expected.

Vegemite is great, less sticky and slightly sweeter than Marmite. I love both mind. Tried both the aged one and the chilli one, waste of money imo.

mothman

Just ordered myself some Sanitarium Marmite. And why didn't I think of THAT for my username here?

So that's what the Metallica song is about.

Hetfield must've preferred it to Vegemite.

Cold Meat Platter

Vitamin C

Quote from: The Mollusk on October 19, 2021, 07:07:07 PM
Where do we stand on squeezy Marmite pots then

Squeezy every time for me. Mainly so you're not titting about for hours scraping the last vestiges of it out of the glass jar, thinking you can just about cover one more slice, if you can just get enough out, with your knife clinking and scraping against 0.0000000001g of the stuff that never quite comes out, and then parading around the flat like some Real England Brexit bastard with barely anything covering your toast which has gone cold by then anyway. In short, squeezy is the anti-Farage.

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on October 19, 2021, 09:48:03 PM
Marmi-ee-aye-taaah!

Actually, looking at the lyrics, he's expressing a dislike for it.

Sanitarium
Leave me be
Sanitarium
Just leave me alone

thenoise

Soft boiled egg, with marmite toasted soldiers.
This was my usual afternoon breakfast those weekend mornings when I couldn't face eating til noon and/or was still vomiting multi coloured god knows what all morning. Real life affirming, children's food, easy to prepare and every bite a comforting cuddle. Everything is going to be ok.

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: Nice Relaxing Poo on October 19, 2021, 10:05:46 PM
Actually, looking at the lyrics, he's expressing a dislike for it.

Sanitarium
Leave me be
Sanitarium
Just leave me alone

Or he could be expressing a dangerous obsession with it, one which he wishes would "leave me alone"

Glebe

I used to spread Bovril on toast and a kid. Straight up!

Sherringford Hovis

sovietrussia

A good heaped teaspoon dollop of Marmite goes into the vegetarian gravy that I make*.

*with my arse

Flatulent Fox

When I made my first batch of homebrew Bitter,marmite on toast went well with it.Needed something strong tasting as the brew was pretty potent and without warning you were fairly pissed.
That was when I developed a filtration system to remove the sediment fronm the bitter by wrapping an old sock over the spout.

I prefer to dip my finger into the marmite and then spread it onto toast.