Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 11:27:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Weird habits

Started by eagle_bearer, October 18, 2021, 11:49:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eagle_bearer

What's good, guys? I hope the Monday blues are fading for you by now. Almost Tuesday.

Anyway, I've recently developed what I would call a 'weird' habit. My goal with this thread is primarily to try to understand why I've developed this habit, so hopefully there are some posters with some knowledge of human behaviour and psychology, but it's not all about me. It would also be great if others shared their 'weird' habits.

By now, you're probably wondering what my habit is. I'll tell you. I've started to play phantom defensive cricket strokes.

Let's say I'm walking from the dining room to the kitchen to check on my beans. I'll stop in the hallway to play a phantom defensive cricket stroke. I don't have a cricket bat in my hands; I'm just imagining it. Sometimes I might have a remote control in my hand for the handle, sure, but the rest of the bat is imaginary.

Or I'm trotting from my bedroom to the toilet, and I'll stop halfway along the landing to play a phantom defensive stroke. Not always the same kind of shot. I might imagine there's been more swing on the ball than I was expecting or an awkward bounce, so that forward stroke might have to adjust to the back foot.

Now, what intrigues me is why I never play a slog sweep or a cover drive. It's always a defensive stroke. What am I afraid of? Why am I not trying to nick a quick single or trying hit a boundary? I'd love to hear any theories.

And what about you guys? Do you have any 'weird' habits?

JesusAndYourBush

Whenever anyone on the tv or radio says 'phenomena' I can't help adding "doooo doooo, doo-doo-doo".

Whenever anyone on tv/radio mentions Jurgen Klopp I can't help saying 'Klopp!' and doing a little halfhearted salute.

BJBMK2

When I turn the sink off, or lock the door, I have to stare at it for a good five mins, to make sure that my eyes aren't actually deceiving me, and that in the reality of our times, the taps are definitely NOT running, and the door is definitely LOCKED.

It's for this reason leaving the house for any reason is a total paranoid nightmare, even before the 'Vid.

Catalogue of ills

I've recently started making imaginary catches at second slip from thick outside edges. It's quite odd, for example I might have recently stepped out of the shower and be drying myself off, and then find myself making an imaginary catch low to my right. Still, I haven't dropped one yet.

v00n

I have an internal struggle, whereby I try not to snort mood-altering substances.

Sometimes, I succeed, but usually through necessity.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: eagle_bearer on October 18, 2021, 11:49:07 PM
what intrigues me is why I never play a slog sweep or a cover drive. It's always a defensive stroke. What am I afraid of? Why am I not trying to nick a quick single or trying hit a boundary?

Hiya Dom mate

Ray Travez

Probably have a few weird habits, but because they're mine, they don't seem weird. I suppose you mean tics or quirks. The one thing that springs to mind- every year as Christmas approaches, I watch a short video called "Santa dies again." It's a clip of a musical bubble-blowing santa claus, except he's been filled with petrol. I like to watch him slowly melt into a pool of charred plastic, accompanied by a medley of tinny carols, which also gradually fucks up and dies as he is engulfed in flames. Then I truly know it's Christmas.

Tony Tony Tony

I have recently taken to checking back on CaB threads I posted in every five minutes.

Always in the vain hope that my post, no matter how unfunny, ill judged or dull has elicited a response.

Se y'all in five mins then. 

Tony Tony Tony

I know this is jokes, but a few years ago I found myself impulsively checking the same few websites practically on a loop rather than do anything remotely productive. Was told by a counsellor that it's textbook anxiety, but fast forward a few years via a stay at home pandemic, it no longer feels quite so bonkers whereas at the time I was acutely aware I was losing it slightly. The idea of not having a phone or web browser to hand is fairly daunting lately, and I'm not sure how to break it.

More in the spirit of this thread, I've taken to doing Limmy style faces into the mirror whenever I catch my reflection in e.g. the work bogs.

I'm in the habit of posting a reply to each of Tony's posts, but deleting them after four minutes.

JesusAndYourBush

You can delete your own posts?

don't think you can actually :(

Quote from: eagle_bearer on October 18, 2021, 11:49:07 PM
I've started to play phantom defensive cricket strokes.

My GCSE physics teacher used to do that, proper eccentric he was.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on October 19, 2021, 12:41:40 AMWhenever anyone on the tv or radio says 'phenomena' I can't help adding "doooo doooo, doo-doo-doo".

Me too.

See also "underlay" => "underlay, a-ree-bah, a-ree-bah!"

And "Gaza Strip" => "from driving too fast, two three hey", which made the news a real bitch to watch a few years ago.

There's a very old (2004-6 era) thread full of these called something like "Tedious and repetitive" but Google isn't finding it today.

Not sure this is quite like the OP's example, though.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on October 19, 2021, 06:48:47 PM
There's a very old (2004-6 era) thread full of these called something like "Tedious and repetitive" but Google isn't finding it today.
https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,8047.0.html

Ambient Sheep

Hah, just found it myself from going through AY's new topics and came here to edit it in.  How did you find it?

Reading the OP reminded me that I do his "Aloe Vera" thing too, and that I used to do the "Yemen" thing, but haven't now in years.

Famous Mortimer

Googled "tedious repetitive site:www.cookdandbombd.co.uk" and it was the first result. Amazingly, Google didn't say "tell us something we don't know".

Ambient Sheep

Fascinating, because that's what I did.  And just did again to no avail, first result is "Them Batman Arkham games" and there's nothing in the first five pages...

Spode

Once embarked on a solo mission to screenshot every possible repeating digit time on my phone: 13:13 etc.

Got a load of the harder ones really early doors and ultimately killed the challenge. Think I envisaged springing up from bed like the undertaker one night to nab the elusive 04:04 and win the time cup.

Gave up. Might start again.

Cuellar

I've taken to inviting other men to sleep with my wife

flotemysost

Quote from: BJBMK2 on October 19, 2021, 12:44:41 AM
When I turn the sink off, or lock the door, I have to stare at it for a good five mins, to make sure that my eyes aren't actually deceiving me, and that in the reality of our times, the taps are definitely NOT running, and the door is definitely LOCKED.

I often pointlessly pace around the flat and check on things for absolutely no reason. Open the fridge and just stare at the contents for a bit, don't actually get anything out though. Look at the laundry I hung out ten minutes earlier, just to have another gander at the way I've arranged everything. It's not really from a place of worry or anxiety though, it's just something to do I suppose.

For some reason whenever I refer to Peter Andre with a particular friend (admittedly he's only come up as a topic of conversation a handful of times) I always call him "the late, great Peter Andre" and I've got no idea why. That seems quite a common thing with people's mums and dads - having a silly, illogical nickname for a musician or celebrity. My mum always refers to Meryl Streep as "Muriel Sweep", which I'm assuming is just her being whimsical and not a reference to something I don't know about.

mothman

I'm really starting to think eagle_bearer is just using us to generate content for clickbait articles. Is that a weird habit?

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Spode on October 19, 2021, 10:59:35 PM
Once embarked on a solo mission to screenshot every possible repeating digit time on my phone: 13:13 etc.

At school in Geography the kid sitting next to me would often nudge me and say "look at your watch!" and we'd both look at our watches to see 11:11:11.  Occasionally I'd be a little too late (if his watch was ahead of mine) and we'd both go "awww" and then get back to our work.

eagle_bearer

Quote from: Better Midlands on October 19, 2021, 06:29:44 PM
My GCSE physics teacher used to do that, proper eccentric he was.

He also only played defensive shots, or was he more aggressive?

non capisco

I've done the 'Clock Power' thing from Limmy's Show for as long as I can remember. It's so incredibly satisfying on the very rare occasions when you do it first go. 2020 was as shit a year for me as it was for everybody else but I did once wake up at 05:59 last year and clicked my finger at the clock radio just as it turned to 06:00. FUCKIN YASSSSSSS MANNNNNN. You take your euphoria where you can get it in this stinking age.

Brian Freeze

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on October 20, 2021, 12:40:07 AM
At school in Geography the kid sitting next to me would often nudge me and say "look at your watch!" and we'd both look at our watches to see 11:11:11.  Occasionally I'd be a little too late (if his watch was ahead of mine) and we'd both go "awww" and then get back to our work.

I think I sat next to you in geography. Or someone a bit like you.

The Mollusk

I got a photo of a clock on a tube platform recently at 12:34:56 and I was going absolutely fucking apeshit about it

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Brian Freeze on October 20, 2021, 09:39:22 AM
I think I sat next to you in geography. Or someone a bit like you.

Did you have Lightowler sitting in the seats behind, and joke that he'd cause a tsunami when he went into the water?

Norton Canes

Whenever I hear someone use a two-word phrase where both words are single-syllable and both contain a long 'i' sound, I'll sing it back to the tune of 'Bright Eyes'.

E.g. "Those are nice ties." "NICE TIES!"