Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 01:15:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Where Is Your CaB Name from?

Started by Lisa Jesusandmarychain, October 19, 2021, 07:45:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuellar

Ambient Sheep

It was late June in the early-mid-90s.  Me and my then-partner had not long got back from our annual summer-solstice camping trip in Mrs Saunders' field underneath Glastonbury Tor.

I had been online using Fidonet BBS systems[nb]A sort of early amateur version of the internet, very popular in its day amongst people with modems.[/nb] for a couple of years by then[nb]Mainly participating in their early equivalent of forums, known as "echos", a bit like Usenet groups.  I was a regular in COMMON_ROOM and others, in the unlikely event that anybody else here remembers all of that.[/nb], and had just decided to upgrade myself to being a "point" -- all arcane history now, but essentially being a dedicated spur off of a BBS rather than just a regular dial-in user to it.

The thing is, a point always had a name, for example something like "Joe Bloggs' Shack @ Big House BBS".

My mind drifted back to our happy camping vibes just a few days before, remembering waking up with the sound of sheep gently baa-ing in the surrounding fields.  I promptly put in a very short sentence expressing this feeling as the name of my point.

Fast-forward around 7 or 8 years to July 2001 when I decided to sign up to my very first internet forum: this one.  Back then my "very short sentence" was too long to fit into the username field (it would probably fit now), so I dropped a word or two, rearranged what was left, and lo!, Ambient Sheep was born, and I've used it pretty much everywhere ever since.  Even Twitter.

The avatar came later (we didn't get to choose our own back in those days), but fits the vibe absolutely perfectly.  Fields full of ambient sheep...

Ferris

Quote from: Cuellar on October 19, 2021, 02:45:05 PM
Genuinely can't remember

Assumed it was a reference to late '00s Villa fullback Carlos Cuéllar.

bigfatheart

dead-ced-dead

When I was a teenager I was obsessed with Harry Potter (boo! hiss! I know). It was around 2004/5 and people who were speculating who'd be cast as Cedric Diggory in Goblet of Fire, and I was making an impassioned plea for a particular actor for the part.

I used the phrase "Ced's dead" several times, referring to when the character dies at the end of the book and why this particular actor would fit the bill because they'd already performed a death scene well in another film. I had a limited vocabulary so the phrase Ced's dead popped up a bunch of times and someone replied with a riff on Bruce Willis' line from Pulp Fiction, "Ced's dead, baby. Ced's dead."

Thus, Dead-Ced-Dead was born and I've used it on every message board ever since.

touchingcloth

You wanted Bruce Willis to play Cedric Diggory?

Would watch.

Brundle-Fly

From one of my favourite films, The Fly (1986)

Ray Travez

Ray Travez is the penultimate track on the first album by 90's drone-pop indie quintet Tiger.

here it is (at 33.04)

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

https://videogamena.me

Clicked on the generate button a few times.

It was either this or "Disturbing Football 2".

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on October 19, 2021, 04:46:46 PM

Clicked on the generate button a few times.

It was either this or "Disturbing Football 2".
Ooh, I like "Merciless Piano Smuggler" and "Teenage Helicopter Trivia".

mothman

Quote from: Auntie Beryl on October 19, 2021, 12:31:12 PM
23 seconds into this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9gQ3N2qv-k

This Bacardi ad used to play regularly before film screenings at university. Around that time I needed an alias for the campus BBS, and the best part of thirty years later it's still the screen name I use in most places. That's how little imagination I have.

God, that takes me back. And still way more invention than I put into mine...

I'd watched The Mothman Prophecies the night before I registered here. My lack of effort haunts me to this day. I could have used the above name generator and become... "The Harlem Globetrotters: Murder Rescue" ... I'm really upset now.

non capisco

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on October 19, 2021, 05:41:12 PM
Ooh, I like "Merciless Piano Smuggler" and "Teenage Helicopter Trivia".

Just to think if I'd have known about that site in 2004 I could have been Unbelievable Bongo Machine.

Cuellar

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on October 19, 2021, 04:10:28 PM
Assumed it was a reference to late '00s Villa fullback Carlos Cuéllar.

It is not

Sid Meier's Shark Training
Low-G Makeout - Episode 1
Middle-Eastern Rocket Brawl

Pink Gregory

I want to ask poo where their name comes from, I think there's probably  crazy story behind it

shiftwork2

Everyone's least favourite Fall album.  It's not even capitalised / punctuated properly.  I hate my name.

Jasha

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on October 19, 2021, 04:46:46 PM

Wooden Limbo - Gold Edition
American Caveman Of Doom
Deranged Frisbee Munchers

Just wait till the artisan real ale microbrewerys find out about that site

Lord Mandrake

Steve Zissou's mentor... Unfortunately I lacked the foresight to know that giving oneself a title on a FAR LEFT HATE group is striping your own back.

Milo

Milo Minderbinder. What's good for me is good for C-A-B.

DrGreggles

frajer

A wonderfully daft joke in 30 Rock.

bakabaka

Quote from: Milo on October 19, 2021, 08:08:45 PM
Milo Minderbinder. What's good for me is good for C-A-B.
Are you also Doc Daneeka?

Milo

bakabaka

Johnny Foreigner

I am an immigrant and I have come to take all your jobs. Unfortunately, doing all your jobs at once will make me so ill that I shall completely drain the NHS.

flotemysost

In a previous job, I was sent on an SQL training course and one of the excercises involved a spreadsheet where one of the values was "flotemysost". I had no idea what it meant, just thought it was a funny little word that brightened up three days of otherwise psyche-pummeling ennui.

Turns out it's a type of Norwegian brown cheese and I haven't even spelled it right